Jump to content

God of War Ragnarok


gospvg
 Share

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, Pob said:

This is pretty easy on No Mercy. I’ve just arrived at the

  Reveal hidden contents

elf realm

and am smashing these light elves without much resistance. Thinking about trying the hardest mode but I’d have to start again to access it. Not sure if it’s really much easier or if it’s just my training in GOW2018. 

 

I started again on 'Give Me God of War' last night - much better. Seems like the right difficulty for those wanting a challenge and who have trained extensively on GOW2018. I coasted through the first couple of hours even on this difficulty, just dying a couple of times to each boss. Bjorn the Bear is the hardest boss of the opening few!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd like to try it, but the way they 'lock' you in meant it would be too frustrating for an initial playthrough. At the very least I'd have liked to turn it on for the post game boss fights.

 

I'm not sure why they lock it down like that tbh, much prefer the modular approach to difficult that TLOUII had, or the way you can jump into any level in Bayonetta. The story mode of Ragnarök is an immense commitment to do it all again

 

If they do a post game DLC with hard boss fights and relax the story requirements a bit (by which I mean let us skip cutscenes) I'd like to run through on GMGOW and see what it's like

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, stir fry said:

I'd like to try it, but the way they 'lock' you in meant it would be too frustrating for an initial playthrough. At the very least I'd have liked to turn it on for the post game boss fights.

 

I'm not sure why they lock it down like that tbh, much prefer the modular approach to difficult that TLOUII had, or the way you can jump into any level in Bayonetta. The story mode of Ragnarök is an immense commitment to do it all again

Yes, it's a it of a ballache. Presumably tied to Trophies or something. Still, I'm enjoying playing it through again and having to really engage with the enemy attack patterns. I've also appreciated having all my moves taken away and having to focus on the basic combos. It's been an unexpectedly useful exercise. I also know which moves to unlock first (Blades heavy ranged attack upgrade!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's a lot of guff in this game. It's still great and everything, but blimey. After this and Forbidden West, Sony need to rein it in big time when it comes to all the systems within systems.

 

Case in point: I've recently unlocked the amulet and have found some gems to go in it. What's the 'Perk requirement' thing about? I've got four different gems which I've set in the amulet but they all say 'Perk requirement 1/3' and the text is all greyed out on each one in the menu. Do they not work until the 'Perk requirement' is fulfilled, whatever that means?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Case in point: I've recently unlocked the amulet and have found some gems to go in it. What's the 'Perk requirement' thing about? I've got four different gems which I've set in the amulet but they all say 'Perk requirement 1/3' and the text is all greyed out on each one in the menu. Do they not work until the 'Perk requirement' is fulfilled, whatever that means?

You'll get more of the same type of gem as you play, so for example, if you have three alfheim gems and put them in the amulet, you'll have 3/3, and unlock the greyed out ability. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Jamie John said:

There's a lot of guff in this game. It's still great and everything, but blimey. After this and Forbidden West, Sony need to rein it in big time when it comes to all the systems within systems.

 

Case in point: I've recently unlocked the amulet and have found some gems to go in it. What's the 'Perk requirement' thing about? I've got four different gems which I've set in the amulet but they all say 'Perk requirement 1/3' and the text is all greyed out on each one in the menu. Do they not work until the 'Perk requirement' is fulfilled, whatever that means?

 

They've basically taken the enchantment slots for armour in the previous game and separated it out into the amulet. Much nicer, IMO, as it's less fiddly than swapping your gems out whenever you switch gear.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are lots of RPG systems, but eventually in the postgame they start to feel somewhat justified imo. I think that system is pretty neat tbh. It really lets you push your build into certain helpful directions and funnel you towards certain playstyles even more.

 

I've a set that boosts damage against status inflicted enemies based on luck, so my kratos has a bit of a burst phase to his offense. he also does more damage with 75%+ health, and cooldown boosts his triangle abilities. All of which sort of pushes me into my preferred playstyle but with more effectiveness

 

Anyway I beat the last of the superboss fights I was doing. I know there's another one in the game, but I feel pretty done with this now and will just drop it. The postgame in Ragnarök is a lot better than 2018 I think. I figured out much more in this game than in the last one. I will wait for SSM to do a NG+ and decide if I want to try GMGOW, but I'm all Kratos-ed out now. I've had enough of him after all of that

 

(post game spoilers)

 

Spoiler

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah I think Ragnorok’s systems are all pretty elegant and useful. The amulet system perhaps isn’t explained as well as it could be, but tbh it is fairly self explanatory, and once you’ve fixed more of the slots you can really mess around with different setups. 
 

But I like how easily changing your armour and weapons, relics, etc. allows you to see exactly how it’s affecting your stats and therefore adjust your play style as @stir fry says. 
 

I didn’t think Forbidden West is anywhere near as refined in comparison, there’s far too much fat on that. I also enjoy how the crafting system, using the dwarves, is worked into the story. It makes it so much more cohesive. 
 

It can get a bit tunnel visioned at times though as you go down loads of winding corridors but overall I think the levels and areas are well designed. There’s a nice sense of place to it all. 
 

It’s a big, big games this one. I always say I’ll push on with the story but then get sidetracked by the lure of new areas, secrets and loot. Think I’m about 35 hours in with no end in sight just yet, though I can see where it’s all headed. 
 

Say what you like about Sonys business practices, pricing etc. or even their particular style, but when it comes to organising their studios and getting these big projects out the door in a mostly very polished state they are second to none. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Girth Certificate said:

I like how the story is based on the idea that Kratos and Atreus platinumed the first game, so they talk about the Valkyrie queen being a tough fight and doing the optional muspelheim trials. 

I actually wondered about that, if perhaps the game referenced your trophies for the previous game and acted accordingly. It probably does just assume though. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is the equivalent of the valkyrie fights in this the hell-hole draugr thing that you occasionally find? (I can't remember what they're called now - 'Restless Fury'? I might have just made that up. Anyway, there's six of them and I've killed about four so far.)

 

Or are there nastier things later?

 

I'm about 12 hours in, just wrapping up the bit in 

Spoiler

Vanaheim, where you make up with Freya,

 

but I remember in the first game encountering some of the valkyries a lot earlier than that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jamie John said:

Is the equivalent of the calkyrie fights in this the hell-hole draugr thing that you occasionally find? (I can't remember what they're called now - 'Restless Fury'? I might have just made that up. Anyway, there's six of them and I've killed about four so far.)

 

I think those 'The Hateful' fights are the equivalent of the Rift Tears from the first game - very hard optional fights that you might want to come back to later. As expected, these are rock-hard on Give Me God of War. I beat the first one last night (next to the tower in the first open lake area) which I managed to beat just before I progressed the story by making sure I had max health, max fury and a resurrection stone before I went in. I'm currently on the second one (in the mines). I know I can do it - I got it down to about 10% health once. They're the only From-level fights I've had so far. Really great challenges that force you to use everything at your disposal. Though ironically the only combat move I use on them is the light attack with the blades.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Is the equivalent of the calkyrie fights in this the hell-hole draugr thing that you occasionally find? (I can't remember what they're called now - 'Restless Fury'? I might have just made that up. Anyway, there's six of them and I've killed about four so far.)

 

Or are there nastier things later?

 

I'm about 12 hours in, just wrapping up the bit in 

  Hide contents

Vanaheim, where you make up with Freya,

 

but I remember in the first game encountering some of the valkyries a lot earlier than that.


The 12 berserker fights are probably the closest analogy I’d say! You’ve not got to the first one yet though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cheers @Pob and @jon_cybernet.

 

I'm playing on normal at the moment but am tempted to push it up to hard in the hope that it will force me to engage with the systems more and actually think about what I'm doing. Button mashing my way through encounters isn't quite enough, but it's not far off from being enough. I'll give it a go and see what it's like.

 

I take it you're enjoying the hardest difficulty, Pob?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Cheers @Pob and @jon_cybernet.

 

I'm playing on normal at the moment but am tempted to push it up to hard in the hope that it will force me to engage with the systems more and actually think about what I'm doing. Button mashing my way through encounters isn't quite enough, but it's not far off from being enough. I'll give it a go and see what it's like.

 

I take it you're enjoying the hardest difficulty, Pob?

 

Yes, I found that on No Mercy I was coasting through quite easily and using moves for fun rather than tactically. Now on Give Me God of War I have to learn enemy attack patterns and work out how to counter them because my health can be sapped in just a few hits. I'm definitely finding the combat more engaging now, and enjoy the challenge when I hit a wall (The Hateful are the only walls I've hit so far, and they're optional, surmountable walls).

 

As I mentioned up the page, the hardest difficulty in Ragnarok feels like the second-hardest in GOW2018. I'm making quicker progress than I did when I played GOW2018 but I have the training of that game and the aborted 8 hours I put into Ragnarok before starting over on the hardest setting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Pob said:

 

Yes, I found that on No Mercy I was coasting through quite easily and using moves for fun rather than tactically. Now on Give Me God of War I have to learn enemy attack patterns and work out how to counter them because my health can be sapped in just a few hits. I'm definitely finding the combat more engaging now, and enjoy the challenge when I hit a wall (The Hateful are the only walls I've hit so far, and they're optional, surmountable walls).

 

As I mentioned up the page, the hardest difficulty in Ragnarok feels like the second-hardest in GOW2018. I'm making quicker progress than I did when I played GOW2018 but I have the training of that game and the aborted 8 hours I put into Ragnarok before starting over on the hardest setting.

The Hateful are dickheads really, have you fought any Berserkers yet? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm finding this a right slog to get through unlike the first game which once it opened up I enjoyed immensely till the end. I'm in the post main mission section of Vanaheim and it's all so samey, does it get much different beyond this point? It feels like unnecessary padding to me and the sense of exploration isn't there like the first game, it feels much more like a corridor action game like Uncharted which I also find tedious.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This game is absolutely phenomenal. It's stunning that Sony Santa Monica was able to create a game like this during the pandemic.

Had this game been a PS5 exclusive, I would have had to get one just to play this game and, yeah, it would totally have been worth it.

The in-game dialogue references to the

Spoiler

PSP games & Playstation All Stars

were a great touch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Totally agree, it’s an amazing game! Been playing lots of WRC Generations (which is fantastic) and jumped back onto this for a bit last night. Within minutes it had completely blown me away again. Was back in a snowy forest location and the graphics, and in particular the sound design were just next level. The sound of the wind and snow blowing through the trees, Raven’s calling nearby, wolves howling in the far distance all in stunning 3D Audio. Literally, spent 5mins just listening to the sounds  and soaking up the graphics. Incredibly atmospheric and immersive.
 

It’s a real showcase of what the PS5 can do when everything comes together. Graphics, 3D audio, the controller - all pull you into the game world, and it’s levels above anything else on other platforms. Noticed other little bits of stuff too, like when you kill enemies and they turn to dust or sparks and the way they settle into the snow. The level of detail is just astonishing.

 

Then got to the next big story section and it conjures up massive amounts of emotion just like classic big Blockbuster Hollywood films. Cue next section of the game and my jaw once again hitting the floor at the graphics. Absolutely unreal! Pretty sure Sony Santa Monica have claimed the game was held back by PS4. I find that hard to believe. If it’s true, fuck knows what the PS5 is going to be pumping out in a few years time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Minion said:

I'm finding this a right slog to get through unlike the first game which once it opened up I enjoyed immensely till the end. I'm in the post main mission section of Vanaheim and it's all so samey, does it get much different beyond this point? It feels like unnecessary padding to me and the sense of exploration isn't there like the first game, it feels much more like a corridor action game like Uncharted which I also find tedious.


It’s the continual funnelling into small crevices or extended and mechanically uninteresting climbing scenes, along with the interminable running around the world tree, that feels more like padding.

 

But there was never much freedom in the first game other than being on a lake, and a king s decisions such as do you go to this flag and handle this preset challenge, or this flag and handle this preset challenge.

And that’s clearly what people want.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bit surprised by the lack of chat in here. Topic seems much shorter than I would expect, but on reflection I’ve played a good bit of this (just finished Alfheim side quests) and while I’m enjoying it I don’t have much to say about it. Feels like more of the same but a bit more linear. 
 

I realised the Hateful have moments where they’re very vulnerable to a ranged attack and that made them a lot easier to deal with (if you hit them when they try to do that fire AOE attack they explode and take a load of damage). 
 

Some really nice moments as well, like when Mimir offers why Kratos wanted to do that side quest in the dessert. Bit on the nose but I think the series has earnt it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, footle said:


It’s the continual funnelling into small crevices or extended and mechanically uninteresting climbing scenes, along with the interminable running around the world tree, that feels more like padding.

 

that’s not padding . It’s loading screens for last gen consoles 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, PaB said:

 

that’s not padding . It’s loading screens for last gen consoles 

Yes it has been mentioned by the devs the target platform is PS4 so it is what it is I guess. It will be great when they fully utilise the new hardware might be a while though....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, PaB said:

Too busy playing it/avoiding unintentional spoilers

Yeah, any spare time I have I’m playing the game, and whilst yes it is ‘more of the same’ I do think it is much better in every way. Everything is improved and polished.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I thought they binned the no cuts for this game?

 

It does feel very weird running around the world tree waiting for a door to load in that doesn't need to load in. But the dialogue is almost always meaningful, so hats off to them.

 

I can definitely recall a couple of hard cuts in this, but they stick to it for the most part. Honestly, I'm not really sure what it adds to the experience; the illusion is forgotten whenever you open the menu anyway!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.