Wolverine - Insomniac Games, PS5

Doctor Shark

4 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Is it PS5 exclusive do we know? 

i think the fact its insomniac would suggest so and im fairly sure just before that clip the ceo said onto ps5 exclusives next and then up came wolverine

Just now, b00dles said:

It's insomniac, so it must be. 

Perhaps he meant "is it also coming to PS4?".

Which I doubt, I expect this is far enough away to be beyond cross-gen releases, and it says on the title card at the end "In Development for PlayStation 5".

12 minutes ago, Crhis said:

Perhaps he meant "is it also coming to PS4?".

Which I doubt, I expect this is far enough away to be beyond cross-gen releases, and it says on the title card at the end "In Development for PlayStation 5".

Ah, no, I haven't watched the showcase or read the thread so didn't know who was making it - as soon as I saw it was Insomniac I knew it would be a PS title. 

10 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Look. I don’t mind if he’s in a plaid shirt and leather jacket for a bit that’s fine. 

But if I don’t see Wolverine in his big stupid yellow, blue and black costume with proper bat ears or whatever the fuck they are on his head, I’m gonna be pissed.

and I want the brown one too.

Given the Spider-Man games let you play as Peter in his pants and low-framerate Spider-Verse Miles, I imagine you'll get your wish.

Probably not until 2024, though.

8 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Look. I don’t mind if he’s in a plaid shirt and leather jacket for a bit that’s fine. 

But if I don’t see Wolverine in his big stupid yellow, blue and black costume with proper bat ears or whatever the fuck they are on his head, I’m gonna be pissed.

and I want the brown one too.

It just occurred to me that Insomniac totally did the bizness when it came to weird, wonderful and fan servicey unlockable costumes in the Spidey games. This game will hopefully continue with all of that.

Insomniac are amazing and uncanny, surely this can't be anything else than absolutely spectacular? Really looking forward to it and I think it will be nice to see something completely different to Spider-Man from them.

Anyone remember the AA Wolverine game on the 360? It was AA as fuck but played really really well, with a huge amount of gore. It was a fantastic adaptation of the character in videogame form. I hope the actual gameplay from Insomniac's effort lives up to that and also isn't afraid to show gore. It's part of the character because you know he has blades on his hands - slicing up nothing but robots would be disappointing.

2 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Now if they do Deadpool next, the Unholy Trifecta will be complete.

I would love to see their take on Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. Now that's a game that has so much potential if it's made with modern tech.

4 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Now if they do Deadpool next, the Unholy Trifecta will be complete.

And then when that's done, come 2027 or some shit, they can do a crossover game where you can play coop all 3 characters. The Marvel Video Game Universe will begin.

7 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

And then when that's done, come 2027 or some shit, they can do a crossover game where you can play coop all 3 characters. The Marvel Video Game Universe will begin.

On that note, I'm fully expecting Insomniac's New Peter from the Spider-Man games to have a cameo in No Way Home. Why else would they exchange just one character from a CGI design to a copy of a real-life actor? Sony seems hell-bent to create their own IP treasure trove, and linking it to the MCU is probably going to be a nice shortcut for them.

Also it means everything will be the same in a few years. I mean, you can just take the Spider-Man game, exchange Parker and his moveset for Logan, and you have a perfectly functional third person action game. We all know this. It's why they can get away with a ten second teaser. This thing is already fully formed in everyone's mind. It's the definition of low hanging fruit.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Anyone remember the AA Wolverine game on the 360? It was AA as fuck but played really really well, with a huge amount of gore. It was a fantastic adaptation of the character in videogame form. I hope the actual gameplay from Insomniac's effort lives up to that and also isn't afraid to show gore.

I loved that game, that was Raven Software wasn't it?

They can't do a pallette swap from spidey to wolverine though, it would have to play a bit more like the arkham games if anything. Wolverine flipping about like the fights in spiderman and so on just wouldn't be right. 

Ah yes - Wolverine's trademark ability to swing between buildings and stick to the sides of buildings.

Total cash grab pallette swap if ever I heard one.

Seriously, I think they might be in for a bit of a challenge here. Spidey's big hook was the city-traversal mechanics, which they're going to have to jettison for this. It's going to have to be much more of a brawler with much less scope for quick traversal.