Jump to content

Gran Turismo 7: PSVR2 upgrade confirmed.


p1nseeker
 Share

Recommended Posts

https://metro.co.uk/2022/03/04/gran-turismo-7-microtransactions-charge-160-for-a-single-car-16216848/

 

£160 for a single car it you bought the credits! 😲 Not great. Guess that's one thing that annoys a bit at times the price of the rarer cars means I'll never probably get to use them in game. Well not with a silly amount of grinding as I won't pay real money for them.  

 

You used to be able to buy single cars at a set price I'm sure as DLC from the Sony store. Could be wrong though.  

 

I don't actually mind buying the odd car pack (as Forza does them). But I'll never use real money for in game currency. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got the wheel stand pro out and took me a while to work out why I was miles behind the AI drivers.

My brake pedal is borked.

 

Doesn't go past half brake power and comes on by itself randomly.

 

Will take it apart over the weekend and see if it's something simple to fix.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've played five hours today 🤣 just unlocked missions.

 

I did a Sport game and finished so far ahead. I maxed out my car for the event and it seems no one else did which made it a bit crap. I'd like to see online modes where everyone has the exact same car.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Sng said:

I've played five hours today 🤣 just unlocked missions.

 

I did a Sport game and finished so far ahead. I maxed out my car for the event and it seems no one else did which made it a bit crap. I'd like to see online modes where everyone has the exact same car.

Not even looked at my time spent on this today.... Just unlocked and completed the first one of those missions so back to the cafe again! Then rest mode after that I think!

 

Like the look of the missions something else to add a bit more variety. This does feel like a fully fleshed out Gran Turismo!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing I don't get is when/why to buy any cars. What puts me off is dropping 200,000 only to win the same car a race or two later. Early on I bought a 500 and then won one again shortly after. Even at that price I felt robbed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Sng said:

One thing I don't get is when/why to buy any cars. What puts me off is dropping 200,000 only to win the same car a race or two later. Early on I bought a 500 and then won one again shortly after. Even at that price I felt robbed.

 

I'm hoarding my cash, unless I need to tune particular cars.  I'm guessing you'd only need to buy cars if there were was a rare one that you wanted, or there was a particular favourtite car that you really want to own.  I'll stick to any cars I earn through progression for now!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah same. Just got to trial mountain and I need the second license so I think I'm gonna call it a day. Turns out driving whilst tired IS bad for you!

 

Actually just gonna play with the Scapes for a while. Loving this game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pug said:

Got the wheel stand pro out and took me a while to work out why I was miles behind the AI drivers.

My brake pedal is borked.

 

Doesn't go past half brake power and comes on by itself randomly.

 

Will take it apart over the weekend and see if it's something simple to fix.

 

Are you sure?

Is it a Fanatec?

IS your BrH setting wrong maybe? It should be set to low. Not a high number.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is an odd one really. From a positive perspective the slightly odd, idiosyncratic presentation is a breath of fresh air after the hideous shouty Forza Horizon presentation I recently had to endure in FH5. But, it's also quite shit. I mean, the Cafe thing is.... sort of cool? But the little spoken bits after the menus are completed from the clip art people are toe curlingly bad and lightweight. The rest of it is quite ponderous and needlessly weird. I don't mind it, it does lend the game quite a strange relaxing air, but I'm not sure it's very good. A lot of the things you can do seem oddly slight - a photo mode with premade backdrops? Watching your car drive round little pre-rendered scenes? I'm not sure who actually wants this stuff. 

 

Another thing that isn't good is the graphics. For sure the cars look like any well rendered cars in any recent videogame. The tracks are pretty poor in detail terms. There's one where it excitedly did the pre-track flyover only to show an entire parking lot full of untextured lorries. The backgrounds have a sort of low rez, pasted on feel and the general look is quite sparse, basic and a little amateurish in light of the sorts of things FH5 is cranking out. Vegetation isn't great. But the most alarmingly poor stuff is the inner city stuff, which genuinely looks a bit PS3 era. I'm also not sure why we have to have that light glinting effect on everything now (Cyberpunk is into it in a big way) but it feels like this season's bloom lighting. The general lighting is fine, but again, not notably better than any other driving game with time of day changes. 

 

Handling wise I do like the game though. The haptics aren't great (they try to do too many things and just feel like mad rumbling) but the feel of the cars is good. There's no real sense of speed, even in the faster cars I've unlocked but it all feels very precise and controlled. The reliance on rolling starts and the usual carve-through-the-field rather than actual racing is a bit disappointing, but if you chance upon a close race then it does feel pretty good (even if the lack of damage and consequence remains a bit weird). 

 

I think the entire thing is really summed up by being a bit better than the sum of its parts. Stuff is either a bit sub-par, weird or average, but as a package it feels reasonable. A flagship title though? I can see any Gamepass owner glancing at the titles available on the service and marking this down as another reason they don't really need to buy a PS5. The harsh reality is FH5 (and 4 and Motorsport 7) look about as good as this and play better in some ways. I'll be happy to have it on the drive for the occasional race, but it's a billion years away from a graphical showcase system seller (as GT3 was for me with the PS2). Meh, I guess. But a solid meh. 7/10.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MattyP said:

https://metro.co.uk/2022/03/04/gran-turismo-7-microtransactions-charge-160-for-a-single-car-16216848/

 

£160 for a single car it you bought the credits! 😲 Not great. Guess that's one thing that annoys a bit at times the price of the rarer cars means I'll never probably get to use them in game. Well not with a silly amount of grinding as I won't pay real money for them.  

 

You used to be able to buy single cars at a set price I'm sure as DLC from the Sony store. Could be wrong though.  

 

I don't actually mind buying the odd car pack (as Forza does them). But I'll never use real money for in game currency. 

Whenever I see these kinds of stories, they always strike me a little click-baity. Not defending microtransactions in the slightest, but is anyone actually going to buy an in game car for £160 of real world money? Really? It's not like the only other way it to get a huge amount of unobtainium or even that the only option for getting it is with purchased currency, you can just buy a shortcut. 

 

And, in GT6, I seem to recall PD listening to the complaints about grinding and throwing cars and money at you in seasonal type events. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Dimahoo said:

 

Are you sure?

Is it a Fanatec?

IS your BrH setting wrong maybe? It should be set to low. Not a high number.

 

Nah, it's a lowly Thrustmaster T150. Looked in the ingame settings and there's no pedal adjustment settings at all for the T150.

Got some contact cleaner coming tomorrow so hoping a spray in the potentiometer will fix it. If not I might get a set of T3PA pedals to replace them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

Whenever I see these kinds of stories, they always strike me a little click-baity. Not defending microtransactions in the slightest, but is anyone actually going to buy an in game car for £160 of real world money? Really? It's not like the only other way it to get a huge amount of unobtainium or even that the only option for getting it is with purchased currency, you can just buy a shortcut. 

 

And, in GT6, I seem to recall PD listening to the complaints about grinding and throwing cars and money at you in seasonal type events. 


it certainly throws cars at you in GT7. Locking cars behind 20 million credits (4 hours in, I’ve made about 300k: and you can’t sell those loads of random ancient Japanese cars you’re picking up and you’re never going to drive) and then selling credits at a rate that makes that 20 million credit car cost £160 is not a good look.

 

It makes those initial Forza 6 microtransactions for tokens seem amazing value.

 

on the positive side, although Tokyo expressway looks PS3 like (thanks calvacade), the cars look a bit more like cars than in Forza Horizon 5. I’m not sure if that’s just because it’s where the lions share of the rendering budget has gone, or whether it’s because I’m only playing in the in car view (the outside chase cam view looks awful in comparison) and play in chase cam in Forza.


Just occasionally a brake light coming on on a car in front is a thing of beauty. As is driving a roadster with the top down and watching the car behind’s headlight play over the top of your windscreen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, cavalcade said:

There's no real sense of speed, even in the faster cars I've unlocked but it all feels very precise and controlled.


Out of interest which view and assists are you using, I just raced the Castrol Supra round Maggiore and I literally said to myself, the sense of speed in this is fantastic. That was with the internal view and TC 0. Traction Control definitely dulls the experience, so take that off/turn it down and it’ll feel much livelier in the faster cars especially.

 

I don’t really recognise the game from your comments but everyone appreciates things in different ways.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

4 minutes ago, scoobysi said:


Out of interest which view and assists are you using, I just raced the Castrol Supra round Maggiore and I literally said to myself, the sense of speed in this is fantastic. That was with the internal view and TC 0. Traction Control definitely dulls the experience, so take that off/turn it down and it’ll feel much livelier in the faster cars especially.

 

I don’t really recognise the game from your comments but everyone appreciates things in different ways.

 

 

I use bumpercam with most of the assists off (why is there no decent bonnet cam?). To be honest, it's okish in game terms, it just feels nothing like driving a car at speed. Horizon (which I use a wheel for) gets a bit closer, but again if you take a race car round these courses IRL it feels quicker than the GT7 rendering of it. Obviously some of that is due to real world feedback and jeopardy, but there are plenty of racing games that use good visual tricks to improve the sensation. 

 

I mean, the game is fine, I'm not shitting on anyone's parade here. It's just time has moved on. There are other great driving games now. This doesn't really distinguish itself, other than being sort of weird. It's fine. It's a 7/10 all day long. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, marsh said:

I'm about to jack it in. Download is taking hours. What's worse is that it's impossible to tell if it downloads while the ps5 is in power saving mode.

 

Not a good start at all.


Are you installing/downloading using the disc?

 

If so, I had a similar issue where it estimated like 4 hours to fully install. Turns out you can disconnect the PS5 from the internet, then insert the disc and it will instal quicker using just the disc. Then you can reconnect to the internet and download the online patch afterwards, which works out quicker overall.

 

All a bit backwards for a modern game and console, but that’s what I did…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tried to get all licenses gold by the end of the day. Got them all except one which is stupid hard. I must have have had 100 goes and in that I got a silver, but that was one of only 2 or so laps where I actually managed to complete a lap. 
 

Got some nice cars from the licenses already.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Spacehost said:

Maybe I missed it, but do we have a playlist for this on Spotify yet? Obviously, it needs to be GT appropriate; nothing but late 90s/ early 00s power pop and euro dance music and Japanese smooth jazz.

 

I’ve made a collaborative Spotify playlist of what I think are the core GT1-3 songs and am adding some more appropriate material. Don’t take the piss with it, we all know what a Gran Turismo song is.

 

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7DE6YhLtRdERhONrn7z1RA?si=sExl2iEQRxyB8kRgKtheKQ

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dimahoo said:

Btw ...This Doesn't feel fast? Circuits are wide so it won't

Look at real racing cams. It feels the same unless it's a street circuit like Tokyo.

And the Zonda feels fucking fast.

I can see why you would get this feeling many racing games have lots of effects to make things feel more exciting. 

 

However this is attempts to simulate the driving experience but of course can only go so far no G force, vibrations, fear etc. So it will feel a bit flat compared to a real circuit experience. In terms of how it looks from the seat though it feels about right.

 

One aspect that has improved is the sound especially if you have headphones on love the little in car crunches and noises. Even heard  raindrops pinging on the roof whilst driving in a wet race. Nice details.

 

So many subtle details in this. Love the day to night transitions the sky colours at sunset. The Tokyo road circuit for example how the light reflects of the skyscrapers. The subtle glow of the lights on the top of the wind turbines in the wind farms etc on other circuits. The glow of the lights at the edge of the road on the tunnels. 

 

As for the rest who is Scapes for etc. Well probably something only car enthusiasts would fully appreciate TBH. Anyone passionate about cars knows how much of the ownership experience taking pictures is. Here we have so many fantastic locations  to explore. Also a Cafe because again.... Sunday drive destination for car enthusiasts :) They have captured the elements that are important to enthusiasts. :D

 

I agree on the points made earlier about the somewhat uninformative "personalities" in the game though. They haven't really told me anything of any depth so far. Probably there for the kids playing perhaps. Not sure. 

 

The car museum and brand specific areas are still great though although just lifted from Sport really and many just on YouTube anyway but nice to have them all brought into one place for easy consumption.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

I’ve made a collaborative Spotify playlist of what I think are the core GT1-3 songs and am adding some more appropriate material. Don’t take the piss with it, we all know what a Gran Turismo song is.

 

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7DE6YhLtRdERhONrn7z1RA?si=sExl2iEQRxyB8kRgKtheKQ

 

Oh you top man. The jazz music in this is fantastic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dimahoo said:

Btw ...This Doesn't feel fast? Circuits are wide so it won't

Look at real racing cams. It feels the same unless it's a street circuit like Tokyo.

And the Zonda feels fucking fast.


Yeah try the super formula around Laguna Seca and tell me it’s not fast. It scales up pretty quick. A Prius around Fuji isn’t going to feel quick in any game and it shouldn’t.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, MattyP said:

I can see why you would get this feeling many racing games have lots of effects to make things feel more exciting. 

 

However this is attempts to simulate the driving experience but of course can only go so far no G force, vibrations, fear etc. So it will feel a bit flat compared to a real circuit experience. In terms of how it looks from the seat though it feels about right.

 

One aspect that has improved is the sound especially if you have headphones on love the little in car crunches and noises. Even heard  raindrops pinging on the roof whilst driving in a wet race. Nice details.

 

So many subtle details in this. Love the day to night transitions the sky colours at sunset. The Tokyo road circuit for example how the light reflects of the skyscrapers. The subtle glow of the lights on the top of the wind turbines in the wind farms etc on other circuits. The glow of the lights at the edge of the road on the tunnels. 

 

As for the rest who is Scapes for etc. Well probably something only car enthusiasts would fully appreciate TBH. Anyone passionate about cars knows how much of the ownership experience taking pictures is. Here we have so many fantastic locations  to explore. Also a Cafe because again.... Sunday drive destination for car enthusiasts :) They have captured the elements that are important to enthusiasts. :D

 

I agree on the points made earlier about the somewhat uninformative "personalities" in the game though. They haven't really told me anything of any depth so far. Probably there for the kids playing perhaps. Not sure. 

 

The car museum and brand specific areas are still great though although just lifted from Sport really and many just on YouTube anyway but nice to have them all brought into one place for easy consumption.

 

People who like cars drive to cafes. Brilliant. And yes, people who like things like to take photographs of them. But replicating this wholesale inside a videogame at the expense of actual gameplay features seems to be addressing a niche within a niche. Fair enough if it was there while the rest of the game was perfect, but I'd have rather they spent some of the time adding those modes polishing some of the other aspects. That said, what's here is a lot better than how they've scaffholded FH5, so whatever, i guess. 

 

I still contend other "realistic" driving games capture the sense of speed and jeopardy better than this, though it is fine. Again, I'm not really shitting on it - it is what it is and it's OK. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • p1nseeker changed the title to Gran Turismo 7: PSVR2 upgrade confirmed.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.