IGNORED

Gran Turismo 7: Monday Night Racing club details in OP

p1nseeker

10 hours ago, Junker said:

The one at Nurburgring racing onto the night with a random rain shower thrown in was honestly one of the most thrilling races I’ve done in this or any racing game.

That race was amazing, only beaten by finally getting gold on the Spa test.

End of the first lap in 7th place and it starts to rain as I'm coming up to the pits, nobody in front has pitted so I come in for wets thinking finally some good luck. Rain is brief so I get maybe a third of a lap before it's back to slick territory, but there's more rain on the radar but who knows if it will hit or if it will be just another brief shower. So do I listen to Brundle and pit to always be on the right tyre, or gamble and stick with the wets in the hope the weather comes back to me. I decide to stick with the wets and just hope I don't lose too much time or burn through them.

Whilst it's easy to drive a wide car around parts of the ring I still end up losing places and time, I think I fell down to 11th and maybe 2:30 off the lead. Then towards the end of lap three the rain came in, even better the heaven's opened and my tyres where still in great condition. So I went from struggling with wets in the dry and falling back to flying on the last lap, taking huge chunks out of those ahead each sector, I got really dialled in. 

In the end I was 3rd I think 15sec off the lead. So in the space of a few laps I went from Vettel making his early bold gamble to Russell on Saturday then finally to Schumacher dancing in the rain.

The Le Mans races in the Nations and Toyota cups have also been great. Which just adds to the annoyance, there's possibility for so much great racing but it feels like they don't mix it up much. Give us a daily race D, make it 25min with variable weather and light conditions.

Have they ever said why there's only three daily Sport races?

1 hour ago, jonathanhoey said:

To be fair, I imagine the car teams will be separate from the netcode/engine teams. But yes they really do need to fix the lobbies. 

True but if the house is on fire....

I'm talking though about the strategic direction the development takes. PD will have a finite development / design resource that can tackle issues / create content etc. That resource boils down to a number of hours the team can spend. 

Kaz / leadership etc set out where the resource hours are spent based on their strategy & goals. They could shift that resource from new content teams to put out fires across the game experience but it appears that is not what they are doing. Let's see what the patch notes say.

Well you learn something every day. I didn’t realise the significance of the trophy for FIA / World Series races. It’s a copy of a sculpture in the Tate  Modern from the Futurism art movement - itself started by an Italian guy who crashed his car trying to avoid cyclists.  
 I saw this pop up on Twitter and recognised the trophy.

https://twitter.com/bbcarts/status/1539558135723085824?s=21&t=qczXdaGEXLZtA7zgXBRbFg

Watkins Glen International 

Nicknamed “The Glen”, Watkins Glen International is a historic road course found in New York State, roughly 260 miles northwest of New York City, which opened in 1956 and is surrounded by rolling hills. The first half of the track comprises high-speed sections with mid to high-speed corners, with the latter half features tight, technical turn combinations. The undulating track is also narrow which encourages high-intensity racing battles. The back straight leads to a high-speed chicane, immediately followed by a right turn into a banking section (Outer Loop), which is one of the track’s primary highlights. From there, the long course will run into the technical section known as “The Boot”, while the ‘Short Course’ bypasses this segment entirely.  

Suzuki V6 Escudo Pikes Peak Special ’98

Returning to the series for the first time in a decade, the legendary Suzuki V6 Escudo Pikes Peak Special ’98 is a monster machine developed specifically to compete in the most extremely harsh conditions for any race car in conquering the treacherous hill climb. The frame is of an all-new design using an aluminum space frame. To maximize performance, the powertrain has been extensively modified, moving the engine from the base model’s front position to a midship configuration. The fully tuned 2.5L V6 engine has been fitted with twin turbochargers allowing it to produce a maximum 981 BHP and 95 kgfm maximum torque.   

Suzuki Vision Gran Turismo (Gr.3 Version)

This model is a realization of Suzuki’s motor sporting prowess, extensively tuned to meet Gr.3 regulations. The base Suzuki VGT uses the 1,340 cm³ (1,340 cc) Hayabusa engine linked to 3 high-power electric motors on an all-wheel drive powertrain. This Gr.3 version however has been changed to a simple front-engine, rear-wheel drive layout with a V8 twin-turbo powerplant comprised of 2 Hayabusa engine blocks for a total displacement of 2,680 cm³ (2,680 cc). In this form, the monstrous engine can produce a maximum 577 BHP at an astoundingly high 10,000 rpm. Compared to the base model, the design aesthetics have been altered to achieve increased downforce, featuring an enlarged front spoiler as well as the addition of front and rear diffusers, a GT wing and air ducting on the bonnet. 

1932 Ford Roadster

In the world of customized cars, the US is often number one in terms of quality, volume, and genre. The oldest genre of these, now an iconic part of American culture is the Hot Rod. This was a movement that originated in the 1930s, where the Ford Model T and the later Model A’s and Model B’s were heavily modified by their owners. Extensive exterior modifications were performed on these cars such as removing wheel arches, bonnets and cutting the body to make chop-top convertibles. More and powerful engines were then added to the cars as technology improved over the years. 

Gran Turismo Café – Extra Menus

The following 3 Extra Menus have been added:

• Toyota 86 Collection: Opens at Collector Level 20
  • Honda Type R Collection: Opens at Collector Level 20
  • Rotary Engine Collection: Opens at Collector Level 32

Source

Always loved the Pikes Peak, wonder if it will be still as broken and good to see a new track with the Glen, looks like a good update.

4 hours ago, mexos said:

True but if the house is on fire....

I'm talking though about the strategic direction the development takes. PD will have a finite development / design resource that can tackle issues / create content etc. That resource boils down to a number of hours the team can spend. 

Kaz / leadership etc set out where the resource hours are spent based on their strategy & goals. They could shift that resource from new content teams to put out fires across the game experience but it appears that is not what they are doing. Let's see what the patch notes say.

I appreciate there is more to adding a car than just the 3D modelling, but these guys https://www.izmoltd.com/ were modelling for GT Sport from 2020 (confirmed, rumoured from 2018) so I expect are still doing it for GT7 given the model share between the 2 games (and the new grills they must have modelled for all those new Skyline and Sylvias...)

They also do 3D modelling for Forza (from about 2016 as their Indian 3D modelling partner prior to that is now Rockstar India), which makes the fanboy comments and comparisons elsewhere in the net all the more amusing.

Should have added, when I googled GT7 Watkins Glen to find / read the update notes*, I came across some old GTPlanet posts from Sept 21 that had Watkins Glen found in a code... hack, review, decompile, something of GT Sport.  Turns out the same happened with Interlagos, in the GT6 code base, then later arrived in GT Sport.

Road Atlanta was also included in the GT Sport code, so possibly expect that next.

*they aren't released yet, just "The following contents were included with Gran Turismo 7's Update 1.17 on June 23, 2022" 
Note, were, and, tomorrow, so, possibly someone clicked publish a day early on that news..

Well, that's a tickle of the balls (watkins glenn and the escudo) followed by a kick in the nuts (1932 roadster??) the suzuki GR falls into a sea of insignificance for me.

Just fix the online shambles, and by that, I mean make it like GT Sport.

I’m quite enjoying the daily racing. Trying to learn manual gears and had a manual win tonight on race C. Here’s an overly indulgent video that I’ve watched twice since winning this evening already 🤣 

24 minutes ago, marsh said:

I remain unconvinced, eduardo and the spectacle of invisible cars at Spa says hi.

And that was after trying unsuccessfully to join @McSpeed's lobby twice...

Ha but at least if you can eventually join the lobby you only need to do it once! 

in theory of course

Interesting. Fingers crossed it makes hosting much smoother, as having to dip in and out of newly-created lobbies really is a total ballache. As for the netcode issues... hmm, yeah - not sure what's going on there. Part of me thinks releasing cross-generation might have something to do with it, but then again I am pretty sure there was a mix of PS5/PS4 when MNRC was using GT Sport for a while.

Anyway, hoping the issues start getting sorted. If the game was total pap it'd be easy to just shrug the shoulders and revert to GT Sport, but when it's all working as intended it's got a hell of a lot going for it. Things like our Nurburgring enduro last month - racing around a pitch-black Nordschleife trying to thread my screaming Alfa touring car along a dry line about the same width as my car was something pretty special.

One of the new Menus has a 6-star Roulette ticket as the prize, but with an "(Engine)" tag - which seems like it's guaranteed to give you an engine on the spin.  I got the Corvette LS7 engine out of, I think, the BRZ Drift Car, which weirdly doesn't seem to fit in any Corvettes or Subarus, but does go into a Nissan Silvia...  confuzzled.

I also created a test lobby and sat changing settings to my heart's content.  At one point it gave me the "players are still initializing" error despite me being the only person in the lobby, but that went away when I went out on track for a second and backed out.  The Host menu is active from within the lobby now, and you can change everything - :sealclap:

Watkins Glen looks lovely.  Could maybe do with some lights for when the sun goes down :)

I had a go on Watkins Glenn, it looks old and unloved and very drab - its perfect!! Just a mess around on the circuit experience and its good fun to drive, I got the 8nm boost kit from @SharkyOB so played with that for first time on std settings and my arms are going to fall off - waaaaay too much resistance in the wheel but it defi felt much better over the curbs etc :)

In even more shocking news I did r-miles and the roulette was a 4* and won a……. Car 😱😵

The Sport mode time trials give credit rewards now.

2 million for gold, or within 3% of the current leader

1 million for silver, within 5% of the leader

250k for bronze, within 10%

I guess this means it’s worthwhile attacking them as soon as they come out, unless Kaz sends the heavies round to get his 2 million back when the best time gets beaten…

Oh and the new time trial is in the new Suzuki Escudo, which you can borrow :) 

2 hours ago, mexos said:

@McSpeed Added a ‘Refuelling Speed’ option to 'Race Settings :omg:

Oh god no… The sadistic side of Joe will forever torment us. Imagine some of those crazy long waits in a pit lane to then have fuel trickle. Torture awaits. I’ve read that now you can put the time multiplier up to 30x, so we can do 24hr races in an hour real time( if you get what I mean) at x24?

1 hour ago, Junker said:

Oh god no… The sadistic side of Joe will forever torment us. Imagine some of those crazy long waits in a pit lane to then have fuel trickle. Torture awaits. I’ve read that now you can put the time multiplier up to 30x, so we can do 24hr races in an hour real time( if you get what I mean) at x24?

4800mph down the Mulsanne is gonna be tricky….

Is there a way to tell if it's going to rain during a single player race? It just chucked it down about four laps into a race, I finished 3rd after basically not being able to drive in a straight line down one of the straights, went back in with Inters and... it didn't rain! 

2 hours ago, BitterToad said:

Is there a way to tell if it's going to rain during a single player race? It just chucked it down about four laps into a race, I finished 3rd after basically not being able to drive in a straight line down one of the straights, went back in with Inters and... it didn't rain! 

Keep an eye on the radar and zoom it out to the max.

Watkins an interesting addition, I think it's somewhere that traditionally cars struggle to pass. There seems to be what I would call one quick line, and alot of those corners have really late apex's. I quite like it, pitlane entry and straying over the line will cop you a big penalty. Kerb penalties could also be an issue...

12 minutes ago, marsh said:

Watkins an interesting addition, I think it's somewhere that traditionally cars struggle to pass. There seems to be what I would call one quick line, and alot of those corners have really late apex's. I quite like it, pitlane entry and straying over the line will cop you a big penalty. Kerb penalties could also be an issue...

Was always a good track in Forza, plenty of places to make mistakes!

10 hours ago, marsh said:

I like it. Don’t think I’ve driven it before - maybe briefly in Grand Prix Legends years ago. I found it really rewards the “slow in fast out” approach, and getting the power down early through the exits, especially in the last sector. The rollercoaster banked and flat out series of turns is excellent.

I just about managed gold on the circuit experience after being stuck 0.011s off for about an hour.

1 hour ago, Fretnoise said:

I like it. Don’t think I’ve driven it before - maybe briefly in Grand Prix Legends years ago. I found it really rewards the “slow in fast out” approach, and getting the power down early through the exits, especially in the last sector. The rollercoaster banked and flat out series of turns is excellent.

I just about managed gold on the circuit experience after being stuck 0.011s off for about an hour.

The third sector was the tricky bit for me, im on a silver but close and had to stop - I can see where the time is and its always me going in too fast and too early, its a really nice track to drive so looking forward to finishing the experience and then racing on it! Its bound to be a daily race next week and I actually have some time to play!

I just need @Corranga et al to work out some wheel settings after the 1.16 patch for me 😉