IGNORED

Gran Turismo 7: Monday Night Racing club details in OP

p1nseeker

3 hours ago, Quexex said:

Forgotten how much fun pumped cappuccinos are. If you have one join us... PSN ID in the Sig... But it's the same as my rllmuk name.

Sorry I missed the Cappuccino  fun, but the Gr3s at Interlagos were good substitutes. Thanks for the races :)

39 minutes ago, Fretnoise said:

Sorry I missed the Cappuccino  fun, but the Gr3s at Interlagos were good substitutes. Thanks for the races :)

Yeah the GT500 Nissan GTR is a bit of a beast! Thanks for joining much more fun with more of us on track.

6 hours ago, Quexex said:

Yeah the GT500 Nissan GTR is a bit of a beast! Thanks for joining much more fun with more of us on track.

Was your GTR tuned? It was making mincemeat of me on the straights. 

3 hours ago, Fretnoise said:

Was your GTR tuned? It was making mincemeat of me on the straights. 

Possibly, I probably slapped a turbo on it and some RS. I maybe have increased the downforce too.

That moment where you realise power limiting your Nissan GTR to 70% so you can make the 600 PP cut is worth it so long as you can keel your intermediate tyres on :lol: let it pour God, I’m ready!!

Ive never been huge into driving games. I’ve played most of them dating right back to the first GT games through to all the NFS and Forzas, but never has a driving game felt this much fun whilst also getting me to give a fuck about the settings of my car. It’s like black magic how GT7 pulls it off.

On 07/05/2022 at 16:32, marsh said:

ugh, we finished plastering at 10pm, I had a shower and my tea. I thought better of turning my ps5 on at 11pm. Maybe next week.

No worries, will be there again on Friday, managed a pretty good grid with @Fretnoise + my friends and a few randos in the mix too.

Great night again on this - thanks to @Junker for his hosting skills. Clio V6 race was as mad as I thought it would be. Those things were basically rocket-powered roller skates. Me and @Fretnoise shortly before he stuck a proper good overtake on me:

9A897D56-92EB-483F-B1B4-FDA5F17F1A4D.thumb.jpeg.6ca542ce28759bc719d3d89b180f43b4.jpeg

I really love those MX5 Touring Cars. Sadly so does @TheRallyBart and he’s bloody fast! Anyway, here’s me at some point in the race with @Pimpalicious MZ close behind.

7ACCACA4-54A3-4241-BEF5-72678DACC06E.thumb.jpeg.b698518ba0363b806627daf00edad49b.jpeg

Final double-header around Interlagos in Gr4 cars taught me two things:

1) I really want that Alfa touring car

2) Junker is insanely good around there. Here’s me giving chase in the second race:

AB88CBB2-016E-4BAE-A493-45C2DC17471D.thumb.jpeg.39ecfea7454eb5166258fd8d5804e66b.jpeg

And here’s me having a fight about twenty minutes earlier in race 1 with Fret, who at this point was likely sick of the fucking sight of me 😂

A235122E-85D7-4631-94B4-BB8BD47AF660.thumb.jpeg.c0eb6ea301e00edd805390142f6f79f4.jpeg

Cheers chaps, great fun!

I had a go on the sports races, dont know the track at all so did a dirty quali lap and first race I was towards the back end of the grid - made som e good places but taken out twice and both times heavily into the barrier costing me 10 secs or so, I imagine they got a 1 or.2 sec penalty for the punt…. Hardly seems fair but I did have a great time chasing down a 13 sec gap to passing a couple of cars!

Before the second race I put in a much better quali time but still not great - not sure why when I was around the 1.23 mark the first place was a 1:19 but there you go - 9th was much better and I made some good positions before setting into a really good race. I did have a moment that looked like it was going to cost me any chance of a podium but I had som e very good laps before the final lap…

I thought I had third in the bag but was not to be, seems slightly dubious defending and not very sportsman like….

Which Gran Turismo is widely considered the 'best' one? I'd like to get into the series, I've never touched it before.

Bear in mind that I'm absolutely not averse to retro games at all, in fact I absolutely love revisiting PS1/PS2 games.

10 hours ago, kiroquai said:

And here’s me having a fight about twenty minutes earlier in race 1 with Fret, who at this point was likely sick of the fucking sight of me 😂

To be honest, I spent most of that race splitting my thoughts between "how do I take T1 so as not to give him back all the time I gained round the rest of the lap?" and "how did he get that Pennzoil GTR into a Gr4 race, I thought it was a Gr3?"

(To the extent I tried to change to the Gr3 GTR after the first race, before the penny dropped that it was a completely different car :))

Thanks for the races everyone.  Clean, fair and good racing.  The Clios in particular needed a very gentle hand and lots of "co-operative" racing to get round in one piece - bravo.

36 minutes ago, MansizeRooster said:

Which Gran Turismo is widely considered the 'best' one? I'd like to get into the series, I've never touched it before.

Bear in mind that I'm absolutely not averse to retro games at all, in fact I absolutely love revisiting PS1/PS2 games.

GT3 & GT4 were the ‘best’ ones back in the day - none of them are anything other than brilliant IMO but there was defi some extra magic on the PS2 games but for a while Forza was a better game - I think GT7 is probably the best to play but has other issues around the money making system.

These were a good watch for some retro memories - 

As an aside... what's up with GT7's Collector Level?  I got to 50 the other day, which appears to be the maximum (the points keep going up as I get new cars, but the "Points to next level" is stuck at 0).  But I've only got about 25% of the cars in the game.  Did someone just get the maths wrong?  Surely I should need to get more of the cars before the game effectively says "well... that's that - you're a collecting god, well done" and shuffles off, staring at its shoes.  You don't even get a trophy or a 1* roulette ticket for your trouble (which I thought would be an excellent troll - "Hey, you've spent hours and millions of credits buying all the cars - here's .... <drumroll> ... another 5k!  Get yourself summink nice...")

I honestly think the collector level just wasn't finished. And since launch they've had... other issues to deal with. 

The whole game is set up around collecting cars so for this to be broken. Well it makes no sense to me!

I think the collector progression was worked out before they upped the earnings and people could more easily buy legends cars which often progresses you entire collector level.

7 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

GT3 & GT4 were the ‘best’ ones back in the day - none of them are anything other than brilliant IMO but there was defi some extra magic on the PS2 games but for a while Forza was a better game - I think GT7 is probably the best to play but has other issues around the money making system.

These were a good watch for some retro memories - 

The rule of thumb is second game for each generation is better than the first.

GT1 sets the tone.

GT2 massively expands the car list beyond the few token western cars in the first game, and also loads of extra tracks.

GT3 is probably my least favourite as it played like treacle in a slow car, and the platform shift neccesaitated a drop in the car and track rosters.

GT4 is a masterpiece with Huge scale and scope.

GT5 is totally skippable. in order to get the game onto the new hardware without the huge drop in content from GT2-3, they ported the bulk of them across from GT4 at low res and with no cockpits.

GT6 is pretty good. Huge track list. The Previous-Gen cars are still there, but there's a far bigger selection of the high-quality cars.

See, for reasons I can’t explain I loved GT3, but GT4 left me cold. In fact, 3 is probably my favourite in the series.

I’m going to watch some YouTube vids to see if I can put my finger on why!

34 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

See, for reasons I can’t explain I loved GT3, but GT4 left me cold. In fact, 3 is probably my favourite in the series.

I’m going to watch some YouTube vids to see if I can put my finger on why!

Im with you assuming 3 was the one that first did the multi hour races - I remember doing those in shifts with a pal with the PS2 on for days :wub:

I did still like 4 but if im remembering correctly it was defi 3 that has a special place!

Played a bit of Sport mode over the last 2 weeks or so, and had something happen at least twice so I'm warning here...it seems a "thing" to be an arsehole and break hard just before the penalty line (if they have a penalty) so that other players end up going into the back of them.

I always far preferred GT4 to GT3. So much more content, with loads of great tracks.

GT3 always seemed bare bones to me to meet early PS2 release even at the time. It had so much less than GT2

8 hours ago, Varnsen said:

I think the collector progression was worked out before they upped the earnings and people could more easily buy legends cars which often progresses you entire collector level.

Maybe, but by the time the patch came I was already on level 47 or 48. 50 would have been a few days away. And I’d not hit the game anywhere near as hard as many would have. 

Ive watched a fair bit of YouTube GT for a while, started back when Planet GT was all the rage and always liked SuperGT (watched him play GT Sport far more than I played it) so thought I would check out him doing the weekly sport races. Some of the times people are doing on the Kyoto track I had a couple of races on are insane, I know I can knock a shed load off my 2:21 but these guys are qualifying in 2:13 and racing on 2:15 - there is a curb riding glitch that any Initial D fan will know how to do and i did a few times by accident but my word they are fast, I actually quite like the track so if I get time will sit down and have a proper go but tbh I will be happy with anything under the 2:20 let alon the 2:15 and better times the aliens can do :o 

Having said that im having so much fun in this esp with the wheel, it really is a cracking wheel and a league ahead of my old Fanatec GT2 (always worry about the buyers remorse when something should be noticeably better but isnt…) but mostly impressed with how much more immersive it is on the wheel and totally validated by the spending spree I went on….. now for some upgrade ;) 

Yeah some people are just insane at the game. I am usually a whole bunch of seconds off the top split times on the Dailys - was proud the other week as my best CLK lap at Le Mans was 'only' about 2 seconds off what Super GT/Tidgney were doing on a 3:20 lap.

Oh, and I mentioned about the Alfa touring car up there - Polyphony have answered by adding it to the Legendary Dealership again. 800,000Cr. Anyone who missed the Castrol Supra first time around can grab that too, as it's there for 1,500,000Cr

12 hours ago, SF-02 said:

I always far preferred GT4 to GT3. So much more content, with loads of great tracks.

GT3 always seemed bare bones to me to meet early PS2 release even at the time. It had so much less than GT2

This is my view- and there was some oddness with the physics at the low end of the car roster, like slow cars had been delibarately made even slower for some reason. (I Tested this in-game with a car that had been in all of 1,2,and 3 with some 0-60 runs (probably using the AE86) and confirmed it.

Was delighted to see the 155 DTM in the store. That was one of my absolute favourite cars in GT2 and I don't think I've seen it in anything i've played in the intervening 22 (Fucking hell) years. That V6 wails. It's interesting how insane that looked as a "touring car" in 1993 and how tame it looks now compared to the most recent DTM cars.

Hopefully if the store is now looping round then the 917 will be back soon.

1 hour ago, kiroquai said:

Yeah some people are just insane at the game. I am usually a whole bunch of seconds off the top split times on the Dailys - was proud the other week as my best CLK lap at Le Mans was 'only' about 2 seconds off what Super GT/Tidgney were doing on a 3:20 lap.

Oh, and I mentioned about the Alfa touring car up there - Polyphony have answered by adding it to the Legendary Dealership again. 800,000Cr. Anyone who missed the Castrol Supra first time around can grab that too, as it's there for 1,500,000Cr

Just saw this and didnt have enough money to buy both…. Quick circuit experience on my new fave Kyoto and a gold run later and both bought!!!!

On 10/05/2022 at 09:07, MansizeRooster said:

There are obviously different opinions up above, but I'd say it depends what you want.  I've owned (probably own!) most / all of the GTs over the years and have had some great fun with them.  As others have said, if there is 2 on a platform, the 2nd one was always better in terms of content and generally, improving on the previous game.

What I'd add though is that with GT being more sim like, the driving model has developed over the years, and I'm inclined to say, the newer the better.

Perhaps this is massively tainted by 2 things:

1 - I maybe wasn't as good at these games in the past, often the older games felt like a grind to progress.

2 - GT for me is now all about using a wheel, and I didn't do that until GT Sport (which interestingly no one else mentioned above probably as it doesn't offer the full GT experience).

Other perhaps important points:

I know many of us in this thread will likely still be playing GT7 in years time, and talking about it here too, so if that appeals and is important to you, then 7 is the answer.

If playing online appeals, then you at least need Sport, which I think is still alive, and to be honest has enough offline content to warrant a purchase anyway (and is likely pretty cheap now).  With Sport you do miss out on the collector elements, and direction/being lead around campaign mode, but the races and cars are there, and the daily marathon car (given for driving more than 26 miles in 1 day) will give you a decent selection of cars in a fairly short time.  Dare I say it, it's probably a really nice MASSIVE demo for GT7.

On 10/05/2022 at 09:07, MansizeRooster said:

Personally from sheer content and variety point of view think 6 takes some beating! Loved the tribute DLC (free) for Senna too. 

If you have access to a PS5 though just get 7 and enjoy that. For me that is the best racing game of them all. Think they have nailed a lot of things in this including it feeling fun to race in.