IGNORED

Gran Turismo 7: Monday Night Racing club details in OP

p1nseeker

14 minutes ago, englishbob said:

If you are planning to give this a quick go during your lunch hour today, be advised it takes about 15 minutes to get started, a lot of that is the unskipable intro film (that no doubt takes up a few unnecessary Ryans on the storage)

Indeed I wouldn't want to spoil the experience and have a "quick go". Love the way the game was introduced. Grab a nice drink and savour the experience like Gran Turismo wants you too! :)

1 hour ago, Harrisown said:

Omg I don’t want to watch this fucking intro movie!!!

I quit the game and restarted it and it restarted the movie.

fecking hell I just wanted a quick race before work. Absolute shit.

8 fecking minutes 

Heathen!  Civilised racing enthusiasts know to watch the opening movie while enjoying a leisurely breakfast 🤣

And now I have Scapes on in the background of my answering a few e-mails.  I've gone GT native!

31 minutes ago, MattyP said:

There is virtually no loading times too!

Had a quick hour or so this morning - just unlocked the license centre.

All very impressive so far! Loved the way the game introduced all the elements and gradually unfolded everything. Something to savour and a welcome change from having a game shouting at you and throwing things at you all the time. Very classy and relaxing. Perfect way to start the journey for me!

Setting up the wheel later and will play with that today. Pad works really well adaptive triggers and haptics add a welcome dimension.

Looking forward to getting stuck in! Absolutely love the cafe idea with the menus. Very slick way of car collecting and a sophisticated way of handling car meetings. :)

Yeah the loading times makes a huge difference. Also it's nice to be able to replay the race after you've been paid for the previous race. On the same screen. You don't have to faff like you did before and then wait while it all loads.

Another thing is whilst I hate Micro transactions (and the shite roulette payouts) the higher cost of the cars married with their improved handling and physics doesn't half make them feel worthwhile as items and rather forces you to use them more. 

The AI seems rather better too (playing on hard) so the racing is all rather more enjoyable.

Noticed they have borrowed elements from other racers... Roulette= Wheelspins. However they are a classy implementation the little tickets you get are quite nicely detailed. They have added guides/personalities to guide you through but no shouty voices just some narrative to read which is nicely refreshing.

Everything in this is just so highly polished and has a layer of sophistication to it. It feels like a high end car experience. If Ferrari or McLaren made a car game it would feel like this I'd expect. 

I saw in SuperGTs review that the FIA GT competitors are in the game as AI opponents. Is there anything more to that than it just being a replacement to the usual random names? Did they code certain AI to match their driving style or anything like that?

Must be weird for Takuma Miyazono et al to be playing the game and racing against themselves.

OMG my favourite menu track for the whole GT series just came on.

Like A Bird by KAMMEI

I’ve turned the sound system up and am getting my groove on while making a brew of coffee.  French Press, obviously.

Bought this last night.  I'm not really sim racing at the moment (with the wheel/rig), due to recovering from an arm operation; and now I have a PS5 I figured I'd venture into my first taste of Gran Turismo!  (have always been a PC gamer, traditionally).

The single player progression elements really appeal, and I've just had my first little session with the game and I was in heaven!  The 'feels' man :D  The intro, the game map, the cafe.  All of that stuff is talking to me.  Slowly working my way through races and unlocking new cars; then checking out the nice info they provide for each and understanding the history.  This could be really good.

Feels nice on the pad so far.  Has anyone played enough to know how the difficulty is?  Playing on the medium setting and I breezed past all the drivers in the first cafe races.  I'll see if it starts to get a bit trickier as I move through the races I guess.

5 minutes ago, Triple A said:

I’ve turned the sound system up and am getting my groove on while making a brew of coffee.  French Press, obviously.

Headphones cranked up for me this morning!!  with the french press brew too :)  Wonderful.

Managed to sneak an hour in before work this morning. Opening with the music rally is so random 😂 I assume that is for while it's installing but if you bought digitally it's all ready to go so you're thrown into this weird race and THEN get the intro.

Loving the feel of the game so far though. Very Japanese! I wish the menu moved a bit quicker though, we've lost loading times but the long transitions make the lack of loading less impactful. Looks excellent as well, better than I thought from the Youtube videos.

Oh, don't buy the Fiat 500 for the first Goodwood race 😂

1 minute ago, Sng said:

Managed to sneak an hour in before work this morning. Opening with the music rally is so random 😂 I assume that is for while it's installing but if you bought digitally it's all ready to go so you're thrown into this weird race and THEN get the intro.

Digital here, and I still got sent into the music rally while the game set itself up.

2 minutes ago, davejm said:

Digital here, and I still got sent into the music rally while the game set itself up.

Sorry that's what I meant, I'm digital here but still got the weird game you have to play while it installs, even though it's installed. Not a big issue, I did get quite into it for a very short amount of time but not sure I will ever revisit that side of it.

Also hope there's a companion app soon. Even if it's just to browse cars.

9 minutes ago, davejm said:

Feels nice on the pad so far.  Has anyone played enough to know how the difficulty is?  Playing on the medium setting and I breezed past all the drivers in the first cafe races.  I'll see if it starts to get a bit trickier as I move through the races I guess.

I fully expect you’ll need it on the highest difficulty (if you’re comfortable racing with the pad), the starting events are always a breeze, once you get to the more powerful cars it’ll get more interesting. After that it’s often the choice of car that counts, match it to something lower or higher in the race based on the PP to tweak the difficulty.

Played about two hours' worth last night and really enjoyed myself. Think I got to Collector's Level 7, completed the B License and won the only Clubman Cup Plus race I tried (at Tsukuba in a somewhat modified Scirocco) in what definitely felt like a step up from the previous races - had a really good fight with an R34 for the win on that one and that was on the medium AI setting.

I can imagine for those wanting to get straight into racing online it'll be a little frustrating having to unlock map functionality over the first few Collector levels, but I didn't mind it at all. Another thing I found so far is that I definitely have not been found wanting for cars/credits or having to grind just yet. I've also not had monetisation shoved in my face once. Forgetting the credits I got for the Special Edition and pre-ordering, I've had enough credits in the first few hours to significantly modify four cars and to buy three more that were solidly in the 30,000 - 50,000 range. Still got about 100,000 credits left too. It might slow down a bit now I am out of the introduction section but so far it's been fine.

Oh, and I totally didn't grin like a lunatic when I realised I could make cars look really silly with completely OTT upgrades. No, not at all.

Oops.

FM9legYXIAMOsNt?format=jpg&name=large

23 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

I fully expect you’ll need it on the highest difficulty (if you’re comfortable racing with the pad), the starting events are always a breeze, once you get to the more powerful cars it’ll get more interesting. After that it’s often the choice of car that counts, match it to something lower or higher in the race based on the PP to tweak the difficulty.

I'll see how I go.  Using manual gears with the face buttons which will need some getting used to, so I assume I can just bump up the difficulty mid campaign?

8 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Quick question if I may all - If I pick up the PS4 version from Argos - does I get the PS5 version for free? - an extra tenner for the PS5 version! 

Don't think so.

Cheapest way to buy is x2 £35 PSN vouchers from Shopto. Owning the disc for this is pretty pointless, unless you intend on selling or trading it at some point

8 minutes ago, englishbob said:

Don't think so.

Cheapest way to buy is x2 £35 PSN vouchers from Shopto. Owning the disc for this is pretty pointless, unless you intend on selling or trading it at some point

Good point - I will go down that route. Thanks. 

9 minutes ago, englishbob said:

Cheapest way to buy is PSN vouchers from CD Keys, via TopCashback

FTFY

Came out to about £60 in the end.

I think Curry’s sells the disc version about a quid cheaper, but then you have to faff with a disc which I didn’t want as I know this game is a keeper

14 minutes ago, Death Adder said:

Is much of the single-player content locked behind license tests?

I can't speak with too much authority on this, but in the two-or-so hours I did yesterday I did come across one race series that I needed to have the B-License for. Am imagining a fair few mid-late championships will need the licenses doing.

Thankfully (from my experience anyway) they aren't terribly difficult to pass so shouldn't take too long unless you want to get all golds... which is something I am guilty of 😂

48 minutes ago, Sng said:

Sorry that's what I meant, I'm digital here but still got the weird game you have to play while it installs, even though it's installed. Not a big issue, I did get quite into it for a very short amount of time but not sure I will ever revisit that side of it.

Also hope there's a companion app soon. Even if it's just to browse cars.

Ah yeah, I misread you :)  Probably just a sneaky way for them to show a new feature ;)

5 hours ago, Harrisown said:

Omg I don’t want to watch this fucking intro movie!!!

I quit the game and restarted it and it restarted the movie.

fecking hell I just wanted a quick race before work. Absolute shit.

8 fecking minutes 

Yeah this really pissed me off. Bonkers decision to do that.

The driving so far is great - the driving model and physics clearly have moved on a lot. Cars have weight to them. You can't just mash at the controls anymore. So the important bit looks so far to be in good shape.

I really don't like aspects of the presentation and structure though.  Absolutely hate the stilted conversational approach in the menus. I can't see any way to change the way they appear either. If you are going to force that presentation style on us at least let us turn off the typing reveal effect and the sound effects. I tried turning menu sound effects to off but it's still doing it's tappy noise when displaying conversations. I'm hoping this is all used as an extended onboarding process and when you've done all the cafe / test gubbins they will go away.

No Lotus cars?

i fired the motion controls and they work really well.

obviously using the stick is the way to go but it would be nice to have a hybrid mode where you can use motion controls for fine movements and stick for regular driving at the same time.

I went with Ray tracing mode which is basically 30fps in everything with Ray tracing on except for actual driving, it’s what you want really.

Loving it so far, just got all the golds on the B license... only got a couple of people on my friends list playing it, but I think I’m top on them all for now which is nice. Although I’m sure that won’t last long.

1 hour ago, Parappa said:

Quick question if I may all - If I pick up the PS4 version from Argos - does I get the PS5 version for free? - an extra tenner for the PS5 version! 

No the PS4 version is just that. The standard version has PS4/PS5 versions on it.

Loving this BTW just doing the licenses with a mix of using the wheel and pad! Love the feel of the triggers on the pad.

Times aren't great though but all gold so far!

Anyone want some time comparisons feel free to add me CypherQ is my PSN id!

Happy racing everyone. After the licenses are done time to head to the cafe again! :) Oh and I'll make one in the real world too!