RTC usage in retro games

A while ago I was playing Soukyugurentai, which splashes up future dates for each level and thought "Oh, that's this day".

Turns out, it's ALWAYS "today" in 2051. The time's minutes seems to match too! I was playing it tonight and thought "Oh that's this day"!

Can anyone think of other RTC usage in systems like the Saturn, GC or Dreamcast that come with a battery powered RTC? 

IMG_7593.thumb.jpeg.3198efeb3852d7bd22b6de179042ad01.jpeg

I never clocked that intro sequence in Souky did that! Been playing the game for 20 years as well (probably all time favourite 32-bit shooter, hands down my favourite shooter soundtrack).

I guess the classic / major case of a Saturn game using RTC is Christmas Nights.

No idea about GC or DC games that pull and display that kind of data though. I associate RTC use overwhelmingly with Nintendo, things like Animal Crossing and Pokémon..games I've never touched but somehow know too much about.

11 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

A while ago I was playing Soukyugurentai, which splashes up future dates for each level and thought "Oh, that's this day".

Turns out, it's ALWAYS "today" in 2051. The time's minutes seems to match too! I was playing it tonight and thought "Oh that's this day"!

I've been playing Souky on the Saturn for years and never ever noticed this! This is proper brilliant! Also I can hear the music just by looking at that screenshot :)

Metal Gear Solid 3, where if you don’t kill the end, save your game and don’t come back for a few days he dies of old age.

Im sure especially on Saturn there’s lots of little things that happen in games I can’t think of right now.

32 minutes ago, merrychan said:

I've been playing Souky on the Saturn for years and never ever noticed this! This is proper brilliant! Also I can hear the music just by looking at that screenshot :)

Yeah, every time I see that image now, I hear that noodling jingle that starts off the music for that level!!

I think MSR on Dreamcast used to change the time to day or night using the console clock, so I always ended up playing in the dark where you can’t see anything. Seaman used it to grow your man fish also. 

The MSR thing was completely stupid - like Jeff Goldblum once said, just because they knew they could do it doesn't mean they should do it.  (I might be wrong, but) if I remember rightly there was no option to manually choose the time of day.  It was entirely controlled by the clock in the console so anyone who had a job found themselves only ever playing in the dark.  

Then there was a bugged first batch where it was dark all night anyway.  Such a good game and an absolute crock of a launch.