Shadowverse: Champion's Battle

Crhis

Anyone playing this?

image.png.fbf3ccd465489406b9766cd39f9ac5e0.png

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch/Shadowverse-Champion-s-Battle-2000169.html

The next evolution in card battles has arrived!

Team up with characters from the hit Shadowverse anime in this thrilling card battle game. With spectacular new summoning animations and exclusive cards, take on your rivals in story mode or head online to challenge your friends!

■Shadowverse hits the Nintendo Switch!

The legendary card battle game for mobile devices and PC is now available on Nintendo Switch with the same basic rules. Shadowverse: Champion's Battle also features battle animations unique to the console version!

■Beginners welcome! Learn all the rules and lingo as you play!

New Shadowverse players can learn the game as they proceed through the expansive story mode, with plenty of help if they get stuck. Even players who have never tried card games before will pick up the rules in no time.

■Online and local matches galore!

Take on players from around the world in ranked matches and earn points for the rewards offered by the in-game Battle Pass, or grab a friend with their own copy of the game for local battles.

There was a very positive review on the latest Consolevania:

There's a free demo on the eShop that I'm playing through and I have the full version arriving in a few days so will be ready to swap codes for multiplayer then.

A 9/10 from Nintendo life, too. https://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/nintendo-switch/shadowverse_champions_battle

I've downloaded the demo, and gotten to the point where it lets go of me a little. It seems pretty much exactly like Hearthstone, which is no bad thing. Don't know if it's going to be worth £45, though, so I'm also downloading the mobile version to play about with.

I'm old, now, and maybe a game where smarts and strategy beat out reflexes is what I should be concentrating on! Quite surprised when thinking about it how few of these kind of games are actually on the Switch at all. Surely Hearthstone is a no-brainer for Blizzard?

16 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

I've downloaded the demo, and gotten to the point where it lets go of me a little. It seems pretty much exactly like Hearthstone, which is no bad thing. Don't know if it's going to be worth £45, though, so I'm also downloading the mobile version to play about with.

It's a one-off fee of £45 rather than however many hundreds Hearthstone can run to, which is also no bad thing. I like the evolve mechanic too, gives it a different feel to Hearthstone/MtG.

I think I've thoroughly rinsed the demo and beaten all the NPCs now, so I'm just waiting for the full game. I think it should have enough staying power for at least a run through the campaign.

Watched the review on Consolevania last night. 

Rab can say as much as he wants that people will mention Hearthstone but it's more than that. 

But it doesn't distract enough from the fact the entire card look is fucking hearthstone. 

the card game is Hearthstone. 

It's like saying Puckman is in no way influenced by Pacman. 

You'd think he had more sense than ego tbh. 

9 hours ago, cassidy said:

the card game is Hearthstone

And Call of Duty is Space Invaders. FIFA is Pong! Games iterating on previously successful formats has been around since games began.

The real questions are: Does it look like Hearthstone? Absolutely. Does it add anything to Hearthstone? Also absolutely. Does it improve on Hearthstone? That's more subjective, but I think it does. At least, the demo version suggests that I am going to find it more enjoyable. I already created my own deck, which I used to beat an NPC that I was having trouble with using the pre-built ones.

And then there are DECK CODES! Admittedly, these may exist in other card games, but the concept itself is genius. I know precisely what cards the NPC I beat had, because they told me after the match. I don't recall these being in Hearthstone, because I stopped playing when I realised I wasn't going to be able to compete without a whole lot of additional investment. (Financial and time.) At least here I have a story to get through, which might be enough without ever playing a real person.