IGNORED

Lake (PC & Xbox)

MattyP

1 hour ago, SteveH said:

@MattyPI think you have given me the slight push I needed. I have had one eye on it but did think it might just pop up on Gamepass. It's cheap though so I'm in :) 

Its a really how can I put this a "soothing" game to play. It reminds me in part of Shenmue just pottering about doing errands interacting with the people in the town. Lovely visuals to chill out too etc.

Oddly captivating. :) I haven't bought it yet but will be doing. Its a great break from the "real world" and shooting stuff in other games. Welcome change. 

Haha never heard of this before, was expecting the voiceover guy in the trailer posted above to ramp up about two thirds in and announce some batshit horror aspect.  Y'know, from his super chill narration to ominous hints at cosmic horror or go even more batshit, nice surprise he just plodded along until the trailer ended.

Looks like the kind of game that'll play nice with a mellow joint and a glass of brandy, or a granola bar and a smoothie.

Seems chill, downloading.

On 15/09/2021 at 18:19, Rayn said:

Anyone got this for Xbox Series? Was wondering about the performance and wethere it’s buggy? Heard rumours that the PC version can be a bit buggy at times.

I'm playing on series X and while it's not buttery smooth (had the odd frame jump), it really doesn't need to be to be honest. Not hit any bugs yet (only played for about an hour so far) but it can have a tendency to not always recognise you pressing A to pick up parcels from the back of your truck. I've found it needs 2 or 3 attempts sometimes. But it isn't a problem, it doesn't glitch out and stop you from picking them up at all. 

I'm really enjoying it so far. Nice chill out vibe to it all. 

edit: and of course, not long after posting this I hit my first bug. Not a biggie, the game just stopped reacting to any inputs at the start of a new day. A quick reboot of the game fixed it.

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

Lake has an amazing easter egg for fans of a certain TV show about metal detector enthusiasts.

https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/692182-mackenzie-crook-lake-easter-egg-detectorists-metal-detector-achievement

Reveal hidden contents

Lake-Metal-Detector-achievement-guide.jp

Spoiler

Yep, it's even Mackenzie doing the voice. That, and looking at all the vhs covers in the shop were the highlights for me.

I gave it about 15 minutes. The writing felt really poor and the animation was like something a student would produce. The truck floats well above the road and the wheels don’t even rotate. I’d be willing to forgive some jank if there was something compelling there to compensate, but I found nothing to suggest it was worth continuing with.

I've now finished this and I think this is a charming 5 hour game. Unfortunately it's 7-8 hours long and the story seems to lose steam, I ended up being quite rude to many of the people in the town before blowing it and leaving forever.

I think there's scope here for someone to run with this and do something more interesting.

Those first few hours were a great time though.

I gave this a try, but just couldn't push through its execution of its core conceit. "Urbanite returns to the rural community of their youth" can be used as a vehicle for sensitive contemplation of small-town vs big city society; the evolution, malleability and durability of relationships; the nature of working under capitalism; the significance of one's physical environment... well, whatever you want, really. Only Yesterday is one of my favourite films because it executes brilliantly on that premise.

Lake, by contrast, just came across as patronising whimsy to me; the characters I met were presented in so two-dimensional a way, the main character too flat, the philosophy behind the game feeling like nothing more than a superficial desire to be "wholesome". Perhaps it really improves as it goes on, but after an hour I gave up on it.

• 2 weeks later...

I started this and completed my first day, but I don't know if I'll return to it. Whilst I have quite a high tolerance for jank, the pop-up is really bad and distracting for something with such a simple visual style. The script already had me wince within the first 10-minutes too at how amateur is sounded and the fact there is no animation for getting in and out of the van annoys me far more than it should and breaks immersion (especially as there is a short fade-to-transition).

@Unofficial Who's comment gives me pause, too; it looks like the kind of thing that should be perfect for a short 4-5 hour experience at the very most, but the fact it is considerably longer than that (relatively speaking) is not encouraging.

And the Steam description for it (description - not a review) spoils what I assume is meant to be a choice at the end?

• 4 months later...

I’m really enjoying this on Stadia, pootling around in the van, trying to engineer awkward social interactions with everyone and listening to the type of dreadful modern country Bob Harris plays is proving to be very soothing to me.

My two favourite tracks are Witchcraft by Thyra and Last Days of September by Giant Ember.

It is annoying that you can’t properly crash the truck into oncoming traffic, but that won’t stop me trying.

I finished this today, and I thought it was great. Is this what they mean by a visual novel? There wasn’t much gameplay to speak of, but I did like driving that van round the lake.

On 25/12/2021 at 01:46, Unofficial Who said:

Lake has an amazing easter egg for fans of a certain TV show about metal detector enthusiasts.

https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/692182-mackenzie-crook-lake-easter-egg-detectorists-metal-detector-achievement

Reveal hidden contents

Lake-Metal-Detector-achievement-guide.jp

I found this dude by complete accident. I always like to rant the van around Frank’s field when doing a delivery to show him what I think of his playlist, and I tried to run him over thinking he was a scarecrow.

On 11/06/2022 at 15:26, ZOK said:

My two favourite tracks are Witchcraft by Thyra and Last Days of September by Giant Ember.

I was playing Mario Run on my phone and these two tracks came on, and I immediately had a feeling of nostalgia for the two weeks I spent delivering the post in Providence Oaks…what a weird game.

On 12/06/2022 at 20:17, ZOK said:

I finished this today, and I thought it was great. Is this what they mean by a visual novel? There wasn’t much gameplay to speak of, but I did like driving that van round the lake.

No, it's much more of your common or garden walking sim. Except with, er, driving. VNs are usually expressed through static or minimally animated artwork, and lots and lots of text.

Working my way through this at the moment, enjoying it quite a lot. It's good that some game are just nice.

Ah I see, I’m not really up to speed with these modern un-games.

Glad you’re enjoying it though - there are some funny turns with the story at the end that I didn’t think jived with what had happened, be interesting if you get the same.

One funny thing though at the end was that everyone kept commenting on what a bad driver I was! They even made some fairly dark and pointed allusions on the subject. I mean I’d been purposely sideswiping traffic on the highway, ramming parked cars and smashing my truck into buildings at every opportunity, but I didn’t think anyone actually noticed or cared. There was no damage! :quote: