IGNORED

Alan Wake - Remastered (October 2021 Tramp Gamers Need Not Apply)

moosegrinder

Playing on PS5 if you have the HDR set at console level you do get extremely bright lights, the guide in the intro was like shining a torch into my face.

Don't forget to pull L2 all the way to concentrate the beam to burn the darkness away much quicker but you have to be careful of the battery management doing this

I grabbed this on PS5 yesterday, having never played the game before and I'm really enjoying it. Just finished the first chapter and I can't wait to get back to it, I'm quite liking the light / shooting mechanic. It creates some very frantic moments as you race around trying to reload batteries and guns. I'm not having any real trouble with the dodge manoeuvre either, the timing seems similar to witch time in Bayonetta, so it's come quite naturally. But yeah, I'm hooked, looking forward to seeing more of it.

I’ve never played this before but loved Control so thought I’d give it a go. I’ve only played the opening so far but I think I’m going to take it as a sort of dodgy but enjoyable Nicholas Cage film, which I get the feeling is probably the correct approach. 

12 hours ago, Thor said:

Aaaaarrrggggggghhh! I was all set to defend d3t, but there's no inverted camera when in a vehicle! Unfor-fucking-givable! 

Really? Oh that's officially shit.

55 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

Really? Oh that's officially shit.

Really. There's an option in the controls menu to invert vertical, but it only works during on-foot. d3t really are fucking amateurs. 

In Episode 4 now, still loving it. The combat is adequate for what type of game this is, exactly like it is in the Silent Hill franchise. It's just there to divide the narrative sections.

Great stuff, and I now realise how much Control borrows from Alan Wake.

What a strange world 2021 is, when I’m playing Alan Wake (on a Sony system), have just finished Skyward Sword and have Halo: Reach to look forward to later. 

40 minutes ago, df0 said:

Anybody else experiencing FMV stuttering on PS5? Some FMV scenes are smooth as butter, some are skipping frames and a jittery mess.

Yeah, I've had that, not sure what's causing it.

2 hours ago, df0 said:

Anybody else experiencing FMV stuttering on PS5? Some FMV scenes are smooth as butter, some are skipping frames and a jittery mess.

It happens on Series X too.

2 hours ago, Popo said:

What a strange world 2021 is, when I’m playing Alan Wake (on a Sony system), have just finished Skyward Sword and have Halo: Reach to look forward to later. 

It is! :D Retro seems to be the new thing... well I guess its only retro / old if you've never played it before.... a bit like discovering some music that resonates with you from a different time...

Finished a minute ago. Love the premise, the mystery captivated me and the lack of clear answers made it all the better for me. The combat is dreadful and I wish there was much less of it.

Knowing how well Control turned out, I look very much forward to 2 Wake 2 Control or whatever they are gonna call Alan Wake 2.

23 minutes ago, df0 said:

Finished a minute ago. Love the premise, the mystery captivated me and the lack of clear answers made it all the better for me. The combat is dreadful and I wish there was much less of it.

Knowing how well Control turned out, I look very much forward to 2 Wake 2 Control or whatever they are gonna call Alan Wake 2.

Did you play the two DLC episodes as well? They seem hidden away in a menu, I'm not sure if the game prompts you to play them after finishing the main game or not.

Not yet, I have to decide whether to go for Plat followed by DLC or go for DLC first.

About the Farm, yes I believe it is the worst section in the game. Narrative is interesting, the sheer amount of combat isn't. The moment that is supposed to be awesome annoyed me greatly because - yet again - the combat is not made for it. It's like putting Isaac from Dead Space in Devil May Cry and expect it to work.

Go DLC first, it's a straight continuation of the story, rather than some side missions or the like.

The gameplay also gets mixed up a little bit, and the environments (particularly in the second episode, The Writer) are brilliant.

Thought I'd check out the cast in this and see what else they've been, as the voice acting is genuinely great. Turns out the actor voicing Alice died last year. Brain cancer. She was only 41. :(

I have a feeling @df0 is going to hate The Signal. It's shit. It takes the worst element of the game - the combat - and turns that up to 11 with bullshit encounters where you can't tell what's hitting you or where from - even on easy it's possible to die through no fault of the player. Total bullshit.

I vaguely recall never finishing the DLC for this back on 360, now I remember why. I'm persevering here though, I hope The Writer episode is better than The Signal.