IGNORED

Alan Wake - Remastered (October 2021 Tramp Gamers Need Not Apply)

moosegrinder

I thought the controls were totally fine. I think the main problem was people tried to use the dodge too early, you are meant to hit it at the very last second but from watching my friends and partner play the game they often preemptively dodged straight into danger. The amount of people online moaning about the dodge is really quite something. You can even string multiple last second dodges together which always looked quite awesome.

Yeah, I always felt the controls were perfectly tuned. That slight bit of slow-mo you get for a perfectly timed dodge, a squeeze of the torch ‘trigger’ or pulling a flare. It’s a rock solid crowd control game. They did sharpen it all up a bit for American Nightmare but not in a significant enough way to detract from the original. 

The dodge / burn / shoot mechanic is very satisfying when you nail it, and gives rise to some really cool encounters when you're chaining dodge after dodge together. The only issue is that it's the same mechanic all the way through quite a long game. Control gave you more powers, so you had more different approaches to combat, and the different powers and guns had more interesting synergy (especially with some of the late-game mods you could find).

I really didn't mind. I thought it was flashy thanks to usual remedy flair for special effects and engaging enough to not get dull. The action serves the atmosphere imo , rather than the other way round. Same as Silent Hill 2 has some of the worst combat committed to disc, but everything else is so strong it doesn't matter at all.

33 minutes ago, K said:

The dodge / burn / shoot mechanic is very satisfying when you nail it, and gives rise to some really cool encounters when you're chaining dodge after dodge together. The only issue is that it's the same mechanic all the way through quite a long game. Control gave you more powers, so you had more different approaches to combat, and the different powers and guns had more interesting synergy (especially with some of the late-game mods you could find).

Very true, but I’ve always kinda seen that as Remedy’s ‘thing’.  Max Payne was the same; a single, satisfying mechanic rinsed endlessly for a whole game. Control does have more variety (both powers and enemy types) but Launch is clearly the ‘Remedy’ mechanic they honed to perfection. 

For me it’s biggest flaw of Quantum Break, which also offers a whole bunch of fun powers but none which seem quite so perfect. 

Played about an hour on Series X using the New Zealand region switch trick. Few things I've noticed:

- The difficulty settings on the 360 version were labelled normal and hard but here they're labelled easy and normal. At first I thought they'd gotten rid of hard mode but it seems like they changed the naming of the settings for the PC release and carried it over here. Presumably because what was originally designated normal on 360 was too easy for many.

- You can turn HUD off but there's no granularity which is annoying. I don't need the radar or the objectives but I'd quite like to keep ammo, battery and health on. I've turned it off for now but I can't remember if it'll become a pain later on not knowing how many batteries I have remaining or not.

- It's still nice looking. Not current gen obviously but if you told me it was an early PS4 game I'd mostly believe you. The environments and lighting hold up best. Some individual elements do look dated now though, like the cars.

- The cutscenes are definitely better. Something still isn't quite right about the faces in the eyes and the lip-sync seems just slightly off but it's a significant improvement on the terrifying jerky mannequins of the original.

24 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Oof.

I mean, it still looks good! But also remember that this remaster is also available on PS4 and Xbox One. It's clean and sharp as you'd expect running at 4k60 on the current gen. It's still atmospheric, the lighting is still well done, the environments are detailed and evocative. 

You can still see its 360 roots in places though. Some individual assets and objects look dated and the in-game character models are a bit rough up-close (like on the ferry), with extremely rudimentary lip sync. It's not a big deal but it's clearly an older game tarted up for PS4/XB1 and then given the benefit of running at 4K60 on PS5/Series consoles. Which is fine, honestly. Remember, previously the only option console owners had was to play it at 540p/30fps and this is only a 25 pounds release.

I have turned the HUD back on though. When the say off, they really mean off. It never even flashes up when you pick up batteries or ammo or lose health or anything and there is no way to manually bring those elements up on screen. It's just annoying not knowing how much battery life is left in the middle of combat when the entire system is designed around managing battery life.

2 minutes ago, Majora said:

this is only a 25 pounds release.

I gotta say, I think even at that price, I think they could have done a better job. It feels a weird disconnect for them to talk about how much they love the game and the character then half arse the update.

I bought it from a foreign store for a price that I think is reasonable, and as it's the third time I've bought it, I don't feel any qualms about that, but I think I'd rather have paid full price for a comprehensive job. 

Anyway, I've not even played it, so I don't know why I'm weighing in with this pointless commentary.

This is a great game to play through if you've never played it before! A bit like Silent Hill meets Stephen King  Really enjoyed it back on the 360 great atmosphere and enjoyed the story.

Irrespective of graphics it still holds up well IMHO. Problem for me is I remember the story etc and so it will never feel the same to play through again. (Tried on the PC a few years back).

Sometimes it's unwise to go back to an old favourite. But in this case, I'm love all over again. The atmosphere is still unparalleled - and until Control came along, still unique in games. Though I do personally prefer AW , but that's of course IMHO. And the environments haven't aged a bit! You mostly see the game's age in the character and car models, but that's all irrelevant once you're making your way through the woods. 

edit: autocorrect changed "old favourite" into "old David" :facepalm:

23 minutes ago, Akira said:

Does this not have HDR on Xbox?

not surprising that there are various issues with this remaster. It’s done by d3t and their track record isn’t great to say the least 

You might get auto-hdr to work I guess, but there is no real HDR in this game.

edit: missed out the important word. :facepalm:

So the combat is a bit clunky, but nothing too aggravating (yet?).

I realized how much of a sucker I am for these slow “setting the scene” moments. The boat ride at the very beginning had me grinning for no reason.

Playing on PS5 if you have the HDR set at console level you do get extremely bright lights, the guide in the intro was like shining a torch into my face.

Don't forget to pull L2 all the way to concentrate the beam to burn the darkness away much quicker but you have to be careful of the battery management doing this