IGNORED

Alan Wake - Remastered (October 2021 Tramp Gamers Need Not Apply)

moosegrinder

11 hours ago, hub2 said:

Great Soundtrack.

The guy who does music for Remedy is amazing, definitely one of the best bits of AW and remarkably unsung. I met him at a composer's conference a few years ago and had lunch with him. I couldn't quite believe it. 

This game is hugely under appreciated and made me check out everything Remedy put out since. Have loved everything from then on. Hopefully this is the precursor for AW2. 

Also got this game to thank for getting me into Poets of the Fall and their music. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

All signs and rumours point towards this being the case.

Good stuff. As Control and AW are canonically in the same universe, would love some to see some nods or references in the sequel.

Just now, Varsity said:

Good stuff. As Control and AW are canonically in the same universe, would love some to see some nods or references in the sequel.

I'm even hoping for a new Easter Egg related to Control tucked away somewhere in the remaster. It would be an extremely Remedy thing to do.

The cutscene improvements are significant. They've improved the facial animation and gotten rid of the weird vacant open-mouthed expressions. And the character of Alan looks a lot more like the live action actor, which I assume they tried and failed to do originally.

I quite enjoyed Alan Wake and American Nightmare when I first played them last year. I'm well up for a proper sequel, eventually. :)

Despite owning the collectors edition on XB360 and having it in my Epic Games library (replayed it at 4k60 on my then new PC back in '19), I will be buying this ... because it's ALAN WAKE!!  I want a sequel. 

My eyes darted across the screen of my smart phone. Could this be right? Had I just been charged by Base.com? I knew it could mean only one thing - Alan Wake Remastered was on its way, and it would be here any day now. 

I was in shock and disbelief. Could fate really be so cruel? Not even the most sadistic story teller would dare to torture its protagonist so. By first notifying his unwitting victim that the digital download is playable right now, only to pull the rug out from under me when I realized I would have to wait regardless. At least until this evening when my son goes to sleep. Never before had sheer impatience caused me palpable physical pain. Nevertheless, I had to keep moving forwards and hope the afternoon would fly by.

Control feels like they refined the ideas and limited the scope, so they got to really polish what was there and make it work. Alan Wake is a bit of a mess, and isn't as good as Control - the story is more disjointed and a bit vaguer, the dialogue is a lot fruitier, the acting is less convincing and some of it is quite unintentionally hilarious. The combat is more repetitive. But it's still a good game.

My rubbish memory gets Alan Wake confused with Deadly Premonition at times, both were in similar settings and we're released at the same time for the same platform (360).

At least Wake doesn't have the god awful driving sequences.

21 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

My rubbish memory gets Alan Wake confused with Deadly Premonition at times, both were in similar settings and we're released at the same time for the same platform (360).

At least Wake doesn't have the god awful driving sequences.

Exactly. 

It has the amazing driving sequences. 

14 minutes ago, Popo said:

Exactly. 

It has the amazing driving sections. 

My rubbish memory gets worse, I completely forgot that there was driving in Alan Wake!

I think I prefer Alan Wake to Control but perhaps this playthrough will make me feel otherwise as it's been a long time. Alan Wake seems like it had a significantly bigger budget than Control and I feel like it comes through in the final product. Control often felt to me like a great concept hamstrung by budgetary constraints whereas Alan Wake was a much more ambitious game probably hamstrung by the development hell and change in direction it went through.

I don't think either game completely nails their story. All Remedy's games have fascinating ideas and bits and pieces of really done narrative but they often don't quite gel into a satisfying, cohesive story. I think Quantum Break actually came closest to nailing the story even though it was the game I enjoyed the least.

The controls on AW were always a little suspect. I mean, it’s playable enough - so much so I’ve  done it a number of times - but there are some truly awful moments where the controls just don’t hold up and you have to swear and curse your way through the carnage.

I love the story and world though - also think the way they went for the TV serial way of doing things worked nicely for this. Always remember they attempted to do something like that for what was to be the final Alone in the Dark game…That didn’t work out very well at all though.