Alan Wake - Remastered (October 2021 Tramp Gamers Need Not Apply)

moosegrinder

I was hoping they’d throw in ray-traced lighting or something fancy. I was playing the 360 version on Series X a few months ago which has auto-HDR, and I turned off because it was too bright. Soft-clipped highlights (which this game has loads of) just don’t tend to look great in HDR. 

1 hour ago, Garibaldi said:

Can only echo the sentiment that given how many years this remaster has been spinning in the rumour mill, it’s very underwhelming to see them targeting nothing beyond better resolution and frame rate. Long enough has passed since I completed it on 360 that I would’ve been tempted by a remaster with bells and whistles, but this? Nah. 

That's literally what a remaster is. It was never rumoured it was a remake, ie something beyond resolution and framerate.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

That's literally what a remaster is. It was never rumoured it was a remake, ie something beyond resolution and framerate.

Sure, it is a bit disappointing though as a few tweaks (combat) would have had a great effect. I don't think people will be happy when they realise that textures look 12% better but combat is still as tedious as before.

1 minute ago, alex3d said:

Sure, it is a bit disappointing though as a few tweaks (combat) would have had a great effect. I don't think people will be happy when they realise that textures look 12% better but combat is still as tedious as before.

Many of us - probably dozens - think the combat is great!

Again on Xbox the resolution bump is massive and very welcome. Going from 540p (a resolution so low, even the OG XBONE would find it ridiculous) to 4k is going to be a world of difference. On PC, ehhh granted a remaster adds practically nothing.

And yes it might as well have been an Enhanced title on Xbox, with a Boost and auto-HDR, and looked maybe even better - but I'm just the series is alive again and if this is the hiking path to Alan Wake 2: Return of the Tramp, then I'm all for it.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Many of us - probably dozens - think the combat is great!

Again on Xbox the resolution bump is massive and very welcome. Going from 540p (a resolution so low, even the OG XBONE would find it ridiculous) to 4k is going to be a world of difference. On PC, ehhh granted a remaster adds practically nothing.

And yes it might as well have been an Enhanced title on Xbox, with a Boost and auto-HDR, and looked maybe even better - but I'm just the series is alive again and if this is the hiking path to Alan Wake 2: Return of the Tramp, then I'm all for it.

The combat may be decent in the first three hours, yes. After that it's the same all over again. Eurogamer felt "sorry" for AW (the game) in their review, among other things because it lacks varied gameplay.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I guess we could debate on the definition of remaster vs remake. For me, a remake adds significant new systems or areas to a game, whereas a remaster is largely focussed on cosmetic and technical changes. With that in mind, they could’ve done more than resolution and frame rate for such an aging game, but I guess that’s been acknowledged in the £25 price tag. 

I think all this remaster is ultimately offering is a slightly tweaked version of the excellent PC port but on multiple platforms some of which never saw the game on release.

So I can safely give it a miss as not only do I own it several times over on PC I only played through it again last year (it’s still great btw) but it’s great to see it on PlayStation and if I only had a PS5 it would be an instant purchase.

Roll on AW2 in any event

The character models and cutscenes have been overhauled too,and seeing as they were initially prerendered , that's no easy cut and paste work. 

3 hours ago, alex3d said:

The combat may be decent in the first three hours, yes. After that it's the same all over again. Eurogamer felt "sorry" for AW (the game) in their review, among other things because it lacks varied gameplay.

I really enjoy the combat loop, plenty of options and solid crowd control. I found burning off the darkness shield with the flashlight similar to stripping shields with energy weapons on Halo then finishing them off with ballistics. The sound design and visual effects, especially that 'streched' sound as the light takes hold and the shadows pop, is really satisfying. Love popping a flare and seeing the enemies recoil in the red light while the particles and sound go into overdrive,man that is really satisfying stuff.  Great fun. 

2 hours ago, Garibaldi said:

guess we could debate on the definition of remaster vs remake. For me, a remake adds significant new systems or areas to a game, whereas a remaster is largely focussed on cosmetic and technical changes. With that in mind, they could’ve done more than resolution and frame rate for such an aging game, but I guess that’s been acknowledged in the £25 price tag. 

Well I think you hit the nail on the head there. Resident Evil 2R is a remake, this is a remaster. However they have doubled the frame rate, jacked up the resolution, created new character models, included the DLC chapters, added dualsense support, a new directors commentary by Sam Lake, supported two new platforms....not sure what else they could do really, especially at a budget price.

Remember this is a niche game, a sales flop given a chance to get a new audience. It's a similar situation to the Shenmue HD collection from a few years back, they couldn't justify spending a lot of money on it so we got basic 1080p and fast loading for £25 but that was good enough to show support for the series and to free them from Dreamcast exclusivity. These sort of projects should always be welcomed imo, wheares stuff like the PS5 "uncharted collection" of 2 games that already offer everything bar 60fps support, should not. Still everyone keeps saying they would dip for 60fps Bloodborne so who knows, it'll probably sell gangbusters. 

We might get Alan Wake 2 anyway as Epic have the deepest pockets around, but it sure is nice to be able to play the original in a complete form with extra bells and whistles (especially so for us 360 owners who went on to playstation 4 instead and have no access to the X series upgraded version) besides that it's just good business sense to make a remaster of the original available to the  biggest console market if your gonna fund a sequel to it. 

Also this is the worst Christmas line up in living memory so anything good announced and released within 4 weeks will do me nicely 

It's not as if Remedy are not very explicit in what this version is:

Alan Wake Remastered is the original experience you fell in love with all those years ago. We did not want to change that. But the visuals all around, including the character model of Alan Wake himself and the cinematics, have been updated and improved with some choice next-generation upgrades.

So apparently it ain't broke, so they ain't going to fix it.

Played it a bit a few years ago, it's alright, like most of Remedy's output, but apart from Death Rally, never finished any of their games.

34 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

We might get Alan Wake 2 anyway as Epic have the deepest pockets around

I'd be contacting your favourite betting establishment, it's very likely to be happening. Tim Sweeney's funding some potentially great games from some of the most revered indie developers in the business. gen DESIGN and Playdead's next games too.

7 minutes ago, mushashi said:

Played it a bit a few years ago, it's alright, like most of Remedy's output, but apart from Death Rally, never finished any of their games.

:hmm: Most of their output is amazing, they’re up there with Arkane in my book. 

Those changes are so subtle, I think I might just replay the original. Once I’ve adjusted to it, I reckon I’ll be fine. It certainly doesn’t feel like enough of an upgrade to buy it again.

Speaking of that, have they said how much it’s going to cost? Surely they won’t be trying to charge full price.

On 12/09/2021 at 01:04, Yoshimax said:

Under £8 on the Brazil Xbox store!

Oh! It might be worth it after all!

Edit: £24.99 on the uk Xbox store. Back to sticking with the original!

15 minutes ago, JPL said:

Those changes are so subtle, I think I might just replay the original. Once I’ve adjusted to it, I reckon I’ll be fine. It certainly doesn’t feel like enough of an upgrade to buy it again.

Speaking of that, have they said how much it’s going to cost? Surely they won’t be trying to charge full price.

25 quid. 

I don't get it either, as mentioned before.

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but this really feels like bad form from Remedy. 

This really does look like the kind of upgrade that has been given away for free by other companies. Actually, it looks less comprehensive than the upgrades that have been given away by other companies.

I've bought this game a couple of times already, including the dlc and spinoff game but I don't think I want to suppprt this. It's one of my favourite games. I reckon they could have given this remaster to existing owners for free, got some goodwill and charged new players to recoup the costs involved and it would have kept everyone happy.

Alternatively, they could have done a proper job of bringing AW up to date which I'd have been happy to buy.  AW has some really passionate fans and Remedy themselves speak of their love for the character and game (s), but this remaster doesn't really marry up with that.

As is, it'll come as no surprise that this is a no from me.

2 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but this really feels like bad form from Remedy. 

This really does look like the kind of upgrade that has been given away for free by other companies. 

They could have done a cheap upgrade path from the 360 version for Xbox owners I guess, but what about the PS4 / PS5 version? I'm not sure it would be realistic to give that away for free, and £25 doesn't seem unreasonable.

10 minutes ago, K said:

They could have done a cheap upgrade path from the 360 version for Xbox owners I guess, but what about the PS4 / PS5 version? I'm not sure it would be realistic to give that away for free, and £25 doesn't seem unreasonable.

2 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

they could have given this remaster to existing owners for free, got some goodwill and charged new players to recoup the costs involved and it would have kept everyone happy.

Yeah if it was £40 I could understand it but at £25 rrp which usually means sub £20 for a physical copy (with the DLC) I think it's more than reasonable. Again i think niche series need the support, this isn't like buying Halo 1 for the 3rd time just to get 60fps. I own the original collectors edition, paid for the DLC chapters, american nightmare, the PC version which is still sealed, I made an epic account just to get the giveaway version to show the demand was there for a sequel.  

Lets be honest this remaster is really about putting it in the hands of playstation gamers. The PS5 version is currently out performing Far Cry 6 on Amazon.

I'm sure the enhanced xbox version will be on Game Pass soon enough if you dont want to pay again. 

1 hour ago, Down by Law said:

I think it's a huge upgrade. Far more than some badly compressed Youtube Video will show. Look how blurry that 'paint jobs' building is on the original. 

Alan-Wake-Original-3.jpg

Alan-Wake-Remastered-3.jpg

considering that remasterd shot is "at its best", but the pc one...nah, heres what it looks like (may need to click to zoom. The remasterd version sort of has a HD texture pack thing going on

HqexoGF.jpg

The PC version looks great,I can tell your shot is running at some insane high resolution because of how small the health indicator is. But look at the wooden boxes in the foreground or the cross iron floor texture, they look way better in the remastered version. The blue handrail bars look like a solid blob while the remastered version is curved and weathered with rust.

I can imagine it’s taken a fair bit of time to do this remaster, but that just makes me wonder why they didn’t just go the whole hog and really go to town. As it is, it’s like some halfway house, that just doesn’t look worthy of buying again. To me, at least.

I'll probably buy this anyway because it's one of my favourite games. My main concern is that the remaster looks very 'clean' and appears to be lacking the glowy bloom effect of the original. If they've gone HDR with it that might have been a side-effect.