IGNORED

Braid Tugging - Amazon’s Wheel Of Time (occasional book spoilers)

footle

3 hours ago, Radish said:

I'm enjoying this but I'm still struggling to get used to how much they've changed. It seems baffling to me that the side characters are continuously being given the most screen time. When the "revelation" comes about who the Dragon is I think everyone's going to shrug because they've done nothing to develop the character yet. 

That appears to be a spoiler from the books...

Spoiler

If I'm interpreting that right, the dragon is actually tall ginger dude.

If I am wrong, don't tell me who it is; if I'm right, fuck you for the open spoiler. :P

90% of people who can be arsed to watch this have read the books, and the single interesting thing about it is where it diverges.

If you want a fully book spoiler free thread, start your own. We’ll try a bit, but things are almost certainly going to slip out: and have done in many posts already.

Having said that apparently Moraine and Siuan’s relationship, as opposed to them just being in tight cahoots and manipulating everyone, was touched on more in New Spring. Which I never read, because by the time Jordan published it I was fully in “I’ve invested so much time that I’ll read forward, but I’m damned if I’m going to start reading yet more page filler”.

8 hours ago, footle said:

Having said that apparently Moraine and Siuan’s relationship, as opposed to them just being in tight cahoots and manipulating everyone, was touched on more in New Spring. Which I never read, because by the time Jordan published it I was fully in “I’ve invested so much time that I’ll read forward, but I’m damned if I’m going to start reading yet more page filler”.

It's actually pretty good in giving the background to Moiraine and Lan's relationship. Definitely more on point than some of the other books.

Lesbian relationship though... Nothing that immediately jumps to mind. The books do infer there was one when they were novices but nothing more.

The divergence in story lines now means other than a very rough outline I have no idea what's specifically going to happen going forward. Certain plot points which are already raised in the book by now haven't been mentioned so I have no idea if it's safe to talk about them or not!

It's a weird one because the identity of the Dragon isn't even a mystery in the books. It's entirely created just for the TV show and has resulted in a lot of changes from the books to try and maintain that mystery. 

I don't think it was an open spoiler just because my point was that all of the possible five candidates have had the least amount of screen time. It's the side characters like Moiraine, Lan, random warders, Siuan, Liandrin, Aes Sedai in general, etc that are getting all the focus and that was my point. We know more about them than we do any of the Emond's Field five. 

7 hours ago, Radish said:

It's a weird one because the identity of the Dragon isn't even a mystery in the books. It's entirely created just for the TV show and has resulted in a lot of changes from the books to try and maintain that mystery. 

I don't think it was an open spoiler just because my point was that all of the possible five candidates have had the least amount of screen time. It's the side characters like Moiraine, Lan, random warders, Siuan, Liandrin, Aes Sedai in general, etc that are getting all the focus and that was my point. We know more about them than we do any of the Emond's Field five. 

the divergence and changes of emphasis are by far the most interesting thing about it. But there are also cuts/changes just to keep the number of sets down - eg camelyn

15 hours ago, footle said:

the divergence and changes of emphasis are by far the most interesting thing about it. But there are also cuts/changes just to keep the number of sets down - eg camelyn

Caemlyn - get it right! :P

By skipping that part of the books, a number arcs are potentially on the chopping block as a number of additional characters would have been introduced by now. Potentially a good thing though - adding so many people this early on would make it impossible to follow.

Book spoiler:

Spoiler

Though the comment made about 'ships disappearing' (possibly in episode 5) indicates that in a later season the Forerunners/Seanchan will make an appearance. Though I don't see how they couldn't, being an integral part of the plot.

Also the whole gateway/traveling thing that Moiraine does to meet Siuan, which doesn't get re-learnt by Aes Sedai until much later on once they capture the Forsaken.

I wonder if it's safe to discuss the background to the conversation between Moiraine and Siuan. The foretelling about the Dragon Reborn that they overheard is mentioned, but there's more to it in the literature (New Spring).

My gut feeling would be to say 'no way, deviating way too much there' but at this point I wouldn't bet against the theory.

The Ways changing to Aes Sedai-led from being an Ogier creation (in the books, entering the Ways was a more 'mechanical' process) is something I'm interested to see the direction of.

1 hour ago, fasteasyfree said:

My gut feeling would be to say 'no way, deviating way too much there' but at this point I wouldn't bet against the theory.

The Ways changing to Aes Sedai-led from being an Ogier creation (in the books, entering the Ways was a more 'mechanical' process) is something I'm interested to see the direction of.

books!

Spoiler

I can’t remember is if it’s Siuan or Leane who ends up entranced by it. The former simply by force of will? But it would be a huge change.

1 hour ago, footle said:

books!

Hide contents

I can’t remember is if it’s Siuan or Leane who ends up entranced by it. The former simply by force of will? But it would be a huge change.

Spoiler

It was both of them equally but more as a means to an end. Egwene ended up getting trained by the wise ones.

1 hour ago, Alask said:

There's no feeling of menace or threat, so it's just people plodding along.

:lol:

Haven't watched this weeks but that sort of sums up the show quite well in my opinion. Like it should feel like it's building up to something big and epic but it's just sort of... happening?

I mean I've read some of the books (like the first 2 or 3 maybe), so I've an idea who the villains are. If I was just going off what I've seen in the show, who's currently a threatening figure? "The dark one" who we haven't seen anything of and doesn't appear to be actively doing anything and then there's nobody. Certainly the last 2 episodes, who's there been? The children of the light were a minor roadblock they've gone by and I don't think they've been threatened by anything since?

Spoiler for most recent episode baddies

Spoiler

There was an orc looking thing in The Ways that Lan would have diced up in about 2 seconds flat and then some moaning wind that Egwene decided to make a ball of light to protect them from - but it never looked very much like she needed to. Other than whispering at them, it looked like Moraine would have just opened the gate regardless and they've had wandered out having listened to a few more whispers. Woop de do. Wasn't it meant to devour their souls or something?

Book spoiler for last episode

Spoiler

"I thought I saw Padan Fain", who cares? The shows done precious little to make him seem threatening in anyway at all.

5 hours ago, Alask said:

I've watched this weeks and it's all very lacking in drive. There's no feeling of menace or threat, so it's just people plodding along.

that kind of feels a lot like the first book to me. All I remember is 

Spoiler

A fight at the end at the eye of the world in which a character who was play acting as the big bad suddenly appears, gets killed, then anti climax.

but in this we’ve not seen inside the Dragon’s head, so none of that has been set up. 

who is the “dark one”, why do we care, who was lews therin, why are people scared of channellers,  etc.

all entirely missing.

I foolishly decided to bash through the books again as I don’t want to start anything new before Christmas. Got through the first 8 in the last two weeks. First few went through pretty quick, and the better bits of 5-7 are the best bits of the series. Book 8 though, sheesh. And there’s like 5 more books of this yet.

On 18/12/2021 at 08:45, Sirloin said:

I foolishly decided to bash through the books again as I don’t want to start anything new before Christmas. Got through the first 8 in the last two weeks. First few went through pretty quick, and the better bits of 5-7 are the best bits of the series. Book 8 though, sheesh. And there’s like 5 more books of this yet.

You read 8 of these books in two weeks! It would take me 2 years.

I've watched 3 episode of this,haven't read the books,  the 1st episode wasn't exactly fantastic .Some of the actors are decent to good but Pike is head and shoulders above everyone else IMO , see she's a producer as well. There's some ropey CGI and a fair few fantasy tropes but it's interesting enough and the cast, as mentioned , have no small amount of charm, seems greater than the sum of it's parts at the moment.

Edit, clarity for pedants (like me), it's obviously fantastic in the literal meaning of the word.

On 18/12/2021 at 08:45, Sirloin said:

How bad is the overuse of similes the second time through?

"they were staring at each other like two strange cats" or something 

8 hours ago, lolly said:

I've watched 3 episode of this,haven't read the books,  the 1st episode wasn't exactly fantastic .Some of the actors are decent to good but Pike is head and shoulders above everyone else IMO , see she's a producer as well. There's some ropey CGI and a fair few fantasy tropes but it's interesting enough and the cast, as mentioned , have no small amount of charm, seems greater than the sum of it's parts at the moment.

Edit, clarity for pedants (like me), it's obviously fantastic in the literal meaning of the word.

Yes she's carrying the show

After a great start - it really slowed down I thought... like they blew all their budget on the first couple of episodes to get folks intrigued.  The last one started great with an awesome fight scene but then was really quite dull until the end.  Not being a book reader, I liked the revelation there, but now they've got the dragon stuff out of the way I hope it picks up again.

and I agree, Rosamund Pike is really pretty good in this and the most interesting character.

1 hour ago, Mawdlin said:

I'm struggling to get past the word Trolloc. Just sounds so naff.

Take that back, you filthy trolloc. 

I still can't decide if this is just a flawed adaption and  a good show or if it's just not that good all round. I think they should have either released all the episodes at once or done an Arcane and released them in three batches. I don't think it's quite gripping enough to work on a weekly schedule. I have a feeling it's going to benefit from being judged as a whole season rather than on an episode by episode basis.