Jump to content

Films that deserve a remake.


JamesC
 Share

Recommended Posts

While remakes are very often rubbish, there are certain films which are a bit rubbish to start with but which have enough good ideas or charm that I can't help think they should have another go.

 

A couple of examples:

 

Logan's Run. 
I really like Logan's Run but it's so incredibly hokey in its delivery (especially that robot) that I'd love to see it remade with modern effects and budget.

 

The Black Hole.
There's some great stuff in The Black Hole but unfortunately its really boring thorughout many scenes. The lead actors (other than the baddie and Ernest Borgnine) are all dull as dish water. Let's have a remake with a decent cast and a tighter script. Most of the visuals just need a very light redesign and they'd still look great (Maximillian is still amazing).

 

The Keep.
Again, just boring when it shouldn't be. A dynamic creative team could make an absolute classic out if this story. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is not a film, and I don’t want a remake but I would love a remaster…

 

Lonesome Dove. I watched it fairly recently for the first time since it was aired in the late 80s. I don’t want a remake because the performances of Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones are so memorable, but it was badly hampered by some ropey special effects. There is supposedly a major storm in the first episode which they obviously couldn’t film or fake - so instead we got a bucket of dusty sand getting thrown into a bright blue sunny sky, followed by some hand drawn cartoon animation clouds.

 

Also,

 

Silent Running. Again don’t really want the film remade - I would settle for the version with the 65daysofstatic soundtrack replacement, but AFAIK they only did that as a live performance. Did anybody ever edit it in to replace all the really dated Joan Baez stuff?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd like to see a new, updated version of Lord of the Flies, as the two film versions that I know of - the black and white one from the 60s and the American production released in 1990 - both entirely fail to do it justice. In a perfect world, it would be directed by Paul Thomas Anderson and scored by Jonny Greenwood, who Anderson worked with on There Will Be Blood - lots of horrible strings to set your teeth on edge and an overall sense of sickly unease. There would be several extreme long shots of the beach with the jungle in the background and gathering storm clouds, juxtaposed with sudden close ups and unflinching violence. It would almost be like a horror movie, especially the bit where Roger throws stones from the shadows at the young boy on the beach. The section where they kill Simon needs to be completely mental and confusing - lots of darkness, fast cuts and constant noise as they kick him to death, then pure terror as the boys are descended upon by the rotting corpse of the parachutist when the storm reaches its zenith. The bit where Piggy gets knocked off the cliff by the boulder should be quiet and understated. There's that magnificent passage in the novel where Golding describes him lying dead on the rock with 'pink stuff' coming out of his head. The sea surges up, covers him, and then, when it recedes, his body has just gone. Brilliant.

 

Casting it would be tricky, seeing as it would need to be made up almost entirely of child actors, and I imagine this is probably a big part of why no one has bothered to make another film version in the last 30 years. They'd need to be complete unknowns, I think, and 10-12 years old, like they are in the story, but they also need to be able to act really well, so that's obviously difficult. You'd need a right nasty bastard to play Jack. 

 

Man, I fucking love that book. So good. I haven't seen Monos yet, a Colombian film that came out in 2019 which (I understand) owes a huge debt to LotF, so maybe I'd be better off watching that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Black Hole has had talk of a remake kicking around for years now. Doesn't look like anything has ever really solidified though.

Maybe they could just cgi out Ernest Borgnine's jumper and flares from the original.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd quite like a remake of The Big Sleep. Obviously Bogart and Bacall are unbeatable, but I adore the book and there's an edge to it that the film doesn't quite capture. It feels watered down. The boil isn't quite hard enough.

 

On the other hand, any remake wouldn't have Bogart or Bacall in it, so why bother?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Darwock said:

Silent Running. Again don’t really want the film remade - I would settle for the version with the 65daysofstatic soundtrack replacement, but AFAIK they only did that as a live performance. Did anybody ever edit it in to replace all the really dated Joan Baez stuff?

For some reason I read that as cool runnings and got very confused. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Scribblor said:

I'd quite like a remake of The Big Sleep. Obviously Bogart and Bacall are unbeatable, but I adore the book and there's an edge to it that the film doesn't quite capture. It feels watered down. The boil isn't quite hard enough.

 

On the other hand, any remake wouldn't have Bogart or Bacall in it, so why bother?

 

There was another adaptation in 1978, with Robert Mitchum. I haven't seen it, but it doesn't sound like it was very well-received: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Sleep_(1978_film)

 

Speaking of Bogart film noir detectives... it never seems to get mentioned in discussions of great remakes/re-adaptations, but I always think of The Maltese Falcon as one of the best adverts for adapting a novel multiple times. They did it in 1931  and 1936 before they made the 1941 one that ended up the classic version. (I've heard that the pre-Code 1931 version has its admirers, though.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If it were up to me, I'd love to see remakes of Johnny Mnemonic and The Postman - both pretty awful films from the nineties that have decent ideas at their core. Johnny Mnemonic in particular is a great concept for a film - a man with no memory, who chose to get rid of his memory and has no interest in regaining it, is an interesting character to build a nihilistic, noirish thriller around, and the idea of storing data in people's brains is fertile ground for a sci-fi film. In the original script and in the finished film, there are the occasional hints of where they could have taken the idea, but the script is mostly mediocre and the film is so exceptionally poorly executed in pretty much every respect that none of it really works. Like, I rewatched it recently in the supposedly improved Japanese cut, and it's still unbelievably bad. People talk about films being badly directed and generally just mean they didn't like it very much, but this really is an example of a film directed by someone with no experience at all - the characters can't even stand still convincingly or walk around naturally. It's like Darkplace. But just occasionally, you can see the film they're trying to make, and I would dearly love to see that film - a film that translated Gibson's prose into something that worked onscreen.

 

I'd also really like to see a new version of the Postman. As a teenager, I really loved the novel it was based on, and while I doubt it's aged particularly well, I think the core idea of the story is worth revisiting - a post-apocalyptic adventure that puts the focus on trying to rebuild society and its infrastructure, rather than revelling in their absence. The film is largely sentimental toss, but I think there's something in there that's worth revisiting in an age where most films seem to celebrate narcissism and selfishness.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The new Revelations series on Netflix is great. Better than a film would be simply because (but not only because) there's time to let the story develop rather than having to be crammed into 90 minutes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Vespa Alex said:

Not so much “deserves” but “could have been done better”, Reign Of Fire. 
A great premise, that didn’t deliver at all. 

 

Something like this is a great example. There some great ideas that just didn't land and deserve another shot.

 

Instead of remaking popular or critically acclaimed films, studios should retry failures.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Stigweard said:

 

Something like this is a great example. There some great ideas that jist didn't land and deserve another shot.

 

Instead of remaking popular or critically acclaimed films, studios should retry failures.

 

Mmf...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dredd 3D. Get someone decent to play Dredd who has a masculine voice and chin, get someone decent to play Anderson who isn’t a child, and get someone decent to write a script who isn’t a hack.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, JamesC said:

The Keep.
Again, just boring when it shouldn't be. A dynamic creative team could make an absolute classic out if this story. 


It’s already an absolute classic! :quote:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, K said:

If it were up to me, I'd love to see remakes of Johnny Mnemonic and The Postman - both pretty awful films from the nineties that have decent ideas at their core. Johnny Mnemonic in particular is a great concept for a film - a man with no memory, who chose to get rid of his memory and has no interest in regaining it, is an interesting character to build a nihilistic, noirish thriller around, and the idea of storing data in people's brains is fertile ground for a sci-fi film. In the original script and in the finished film, there are the occasional hints of where they could have taken the idea, but the script is mostly mediocre and the film is so exceptionally poorly executed in pretty much every respect that none of it really works. Like, I rewatched it recently in the supposedly improved Japanese cut, and it's still unbelievably bad. People talk about films being badly directed and generally just mean they didn't like it very much, but this really is an example of a film directed by someone with no experience at all - the characters can't even stand still convincingly or walk around naturally. It's like Darkplace. But just occasionally, you can see the film they're trying to make, and I would dearly love to see that film - a film that translated Gibson's prose into something that worked onscreen.

 

I'd also really like to see a new version of the Postman. As a teenager, I really loved the novel it was based on, and while I doubt it's aged particularly well, I think the core idea of the story is worth revisiting - a post-apocalyptic adventure that puts the focus on trying to rebuild society and its infrastructure, rather than revelling in their absence. The film is largely sentimental toss, but I think there's something in there that's worth revisiting in an age where most films seem to celebrate narcissism and selfishness.


And on this tip, someone should remake New Rose Hotel and make it fun to watch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Dredd 3D. Get someone decent to play Dredd who has a masculine voice and chin, get someone decent to play Anderson who isn’t a child, and get someone decent to write a script who isn’t a hack.

 

Dredd was the best film I ever saw at the cinema. And I watched it with my now dead dad so you're basically calling him a prick here. How could u

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Jamie John said:

 Casting it would be tricky, seeing as it would need to be made up almost entirely of child actors

They could take the approach that was so effective in Blue Remembered Hills and just have adults playing the parts of children.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SM47 said:

 

Dredd was the best film I ever saw at the cinema. And I watched it with my now dead dad so you're basically calling him a prick here. How could u


He started it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They should remake Apocalypse Now and have it star roly poly everyman James Corden. Being sure to recreate every last detail of its hellish and chaotic production that almost killed or traumatised half the crew in the steaming stews of Manila, then not bothering to put any film in the camera.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 31/08/2021 at 13:49, JamesC said:

A couple of examples:

 

Logan's Run. 
I really like Logan's Run but it's so incredibly hokey in its delivery (especially that robot) that I'd love to see it remade with modern effects and budget.

 

The remake/reimagining/reinterpretation of the original novel for this has been stuck in development hell since the 1990s apparently. The amount of famous people who have supposedly done work on it over the years is surprisingly high, even Ken Levine of BioShock fame was going to have a go at the script!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 31/08/2021 at 20:48, Scribblor said:

The new Revelations series on Netflix is great. Better than a film would be simply because (but not only because) there's time to let the story develop rather than having to be crammed into 90 minutes.


Watched it and yep it is great, but I want a live action version that doesn’t suck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 01/09/2021 at 12:51, teddymeow said:

I've always loved Clue with Tim Curry and would be interested in seeing a remake with current day actors.

 

I can see it being a good Key & Peele vehicle. With maybe some Andy Samberg and other SNL types.


Is that not basically Knives Out?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 01/09/2021 at 12:51, teddymeow said:

I've always loved Clue with Tim Curry and would be interested in seeing a remake with current day actors.

 

I can see it being a good Key & Peele vehicle. With maybe some Andy Samberg and other SNL types.

 

The thing with the original Clue, which was a brilliant idea, was that it had three different endings with different murderers/solutions. The ending you got literally depended on which cinema you went to, making it more like the board game (Clue, as the Americans call it instead of Cluedo). It didn't really take off, so they just put all of the multiple endings together when it was released on video. 

 

It would be a lot easier to have that idea implemented with streaming, even if it was something as simple as a different episode was a different murderer and solution.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.