IGNORED

Vigil - new BBC Sunday night drama

memories

It’s still quite silly, but I am enjoying the silliness.  Weird watching this and reading about the UK getting involved with more nuclear sins at the same time.  I’m not sure I need all the backstory flashbacks, would have been fine if they kept it claustrophobic  and stayed on the sub.  The ending was nightmare fuel.

On 19/09/2021 at 22:43, GwiDan said:

Reveal hidden contents

Was the person at the end the one they’d already mentioned?

Yes. Does explain a few things and I did wonder it from previous episodes. 

It was better this week and the end was indeed the stuff of nightmares. So much of the series could be lost without impacting anything (though presumably there will be some payoff with the flashbacks, and you could guess what that would be for some nice and blatant emotional manipulation), but that did put the series back to interesting again. 

Return to form this week I thought. The previous episode was dull and about half way through I’d stopped paying much attention. Didn’t seem to matter that is not followed it closely this week.

Still little to no point in any of the ancillary back story or relationship stuff. Could have saved an episode of runtime or so. Maybe it will pay off some hoe but feels like filler. Or maybe I’m meant to care about some people a bit more. I don’t.

9 minutes ago, jonamok said:

This, like every high-concept, multipart UK drama series of recent years, went to purest shite past the halfway point. Absolutely shocking writing. It’s like the Bodyguard in a tin can. Utter trash.

Couldn’t agree more, typical of the utter gash that the BBC shit out on a regular basis.

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

This, like every high-concept, multipart UK drama series of recent years, went to purest shite past the halfway point. Absolutely shocking writing. It’s like the Bodyguard in a tin can. Utter trash.

Agreed, first 2 episodes were OK but it's a steaming pile of shite after that. 

It's just so stupid and badly written I can't take it seriously. 

Im also not a fan of Suranne Jones. Her acting style consists of making 3 faces. 

6 hours ago, Ry said:

Agreed, first 2 episodes were OK but it's a steaming pile of shite after that. 

It's just so stupid and badly written I can't take it seriously. 

Im also not a fan of Suranne Jones. Her acting style consists of making 3 faces. 

I must have missed the third one.

Oh come on. It’s not that bad. It is all slightly ridiculous and if they strung it out for 12 episodes I’d not bother but it never really outstays its welcome with just 6 episodes. It’s almost perfectly judged for a Sunday night after Antiques Roadshow. 

It’s basically a long episode of Midsummer Murders but a little more up to date and on a sub. 

31 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

The fact no-one bumped this thread tonight says a lot! 6 hours of my life I'll not get back. 

It had so many flaws but it was  just about watchable, most of my enjoyment came from working out who I recognized all the cast from as the plot descended from one silly revelation to the next. Two episodes worth of fluff with the flashbacks and probably another two could have been cut to make it a tighter and more interesting.

image.png

/5

9 hours ago, Timbuktu said:

Yeah.  It would have been much better at half the length and kept entirely on Vigil.  

So much this.

Enjoyed the first half of the final episode but the second half or so once she was off was just a bit dull. The relationship with the cop and the step-daughter stuff was all a bit pointless.

Did love the navy guys faces at the end when chatting to the MP, what the fuck was that about.

I watch a lot of these BBC dramas with my girlfriend (she's a bigger fan than me, to put it mildly) and they're all very poor on character. The Bodyguard, Line of Duty, Vigil, etc.

I never feel anything for the characters. Vigil is a case in point. The focus is on throwing people together in a dramatic situation and then asking the viewer to work out who is the baddie. There's nothing wrong with this but they're all essentially a very long and blunt game of Cluedo.

Compare with US drama and they all come up short.

I've not seen any BBC formula cop shows since Life on Mars, but caught an episode of this at my parents' a few weeks back. Oh dear.

It's like what would happen if the characters from The Brittas Empire tried to make a prestige television show. There's no budget to make it good so you just get the palpable sense that everyone is half-arsing it. That recent Resident Evil CG show had a more convincing submarine interior.

16 hours ago, El Geet said:

Himmel! You forgot the daddy of them all…

Below is a decent little horror sub movie

U-571 (if you ignore the unsubtle rewriting of history)

K19 Widowmaker (if you ignore the dodgy accents)

Run Silent Run Deep is a classic

And of course, that Doug McClure classic, The Land That Time Forgot, which features a large section on a nazi Uboat.

7 hours ago, jdanddiet said:

Below is a decent little horror sub movie

U-571 (if you ignore the unsubtle rewriting of history)

K19 Widowmaker (if you ignore the dodgy accents)

Run Silent Run Deep is a classic

And of course, that Doug McClure classic, The Land That Time Forgot, which features a large section on a nazi Uboat.

I was referring to Das Boot but you’ve reminded me of this classic:

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea