IGNORED

UnderMine

Unofficial Who

Why isn't there a topic on this yet? It might be because it looks unremarkable. It was on GamePass for a year and I ignored it until a fortnight from it's removal and it became an obsession. As soon as it was gone I bought it on Steam (who says GamePass does nothing for devs?)

What is it? It's a rogue like where a wizard seeks treasures from the UnderMine. But he's no fool and sends in a peasant with a pick to find what he seeks. You play as that peasant and armed with a pick you enter this rogue like mine to find treasure but most likely die. At which point your canary companion lifts your bag of gold to the surface (losing some of it because it's a very clumsy bird and the bag has a hole in it.) The next peasant can then use this gold to either buy supplies or permanent upgrades.

And it's great! Is it as good as Hades? No, not many games are. But it's up there with other rogue likes in that it has some simple rules and systems that can provide interesting results. For instance I've traded my canary in for a blue thunderbird that zaps enemies with lightning. Which is great! And even better if they're standing in a pool of water. Not so great if you're standing in the same pool.

• 2 months later...

I've been playing this and enjoying it a lot. I have now reached the second area and I'm hitting a bit of a wall. The enemies here are much, much stronger and I don't really have any defensive options. My last run ended in a room with two knights and one spell casting enemy and I just got obliterated. What should I do? Should I go back to the mines and try to upgrade my stuff? It doesn't seem in the spirit of the game.

Normal rogue stuff; try to learn how the different enemies attack, learn how to dodge, when it's safe to attack and which enemies to prioritise when there are a bunch I'm the same room. Learning this stuff is far more important than the stat upgrades (though the stat boosts will definitely help).

Just try to take in as much as you can next time you get down to floor 2 and start forming some observations/strategies.

On 12/11/2021 at 17:54, Sane said:

Alright, I opened the shortcut so I'll start from the second dungeon for now to practice. Any tips for the knights? They seem to have a huge amount of hp, it felt like I was barely making a dent.

It's all hard at first but eventually you can take them out easily. Try knocking them down holes, hitting them with electricity and if in a tough spot using bombs. If you're in a room with spellcasters take them out first as they will buff and heal the knights making them nigh on impossible to defeat.

As for me I'm stuck on the end game boss and haven't played since December. A recent patch was applied, maybe I should make another tilt?

Yeah I know, I've been using it a lot.  It's a little weak but it's often much safer than getting up close to the enemies. 

I've been distracted by SMT V, but I love poking around in the mines on this so I will definitely be back once I finish SMT (which will probably takes ages though).