Saints Row - Feb 22 2022 - Dialing back the madness

MDY

Honestly, I don't need reviews for this game. I see the gameplay videos being posted and I'm like 'I want to be doing that right now'.

There are things I'm not sure about yet. Not unconvinced by, genuinely unsure about. Like the criminal ventures, you can choose what to pursue as you play and where to set them up, so I'm wondering if you can't have every one in play at the same time, and how different districts affect their performance, difficulty, etc.

The contrast here to the Resetera thread reacting to the first couple of hours of a playthrough is striking..

Over there it's clearly the ugliest game ever released/looks like a game from 2013.. stupid hyperbole aside SR was never a technical masterpiece  - the new engine in SR3 was a huge step forward mostly because (unlike SR2) the thing wouldn't crash every couple of hours. Volition aren't Naughty Dog or Rockstar and the series has always been a buggy, B-tier title that occasionally sold AA numbers.. 

For all the online dickheads moaning about it not being the same game now, TBH it honestly looks like it's playing things a bit safe, the interface and map tool are almost exactly the same style as the last 2 games and the gunplay and animations look pretty similar too. But it is undeniably much prettier, it's just a shame anything not bleeding edge graphically is dismissed by some players..

Volition had a rough time with the last game Agents of Mayhem cratering like it did, so I hope all the supposed fans hating on the NPC cast doesn't spell the end for the series if it doesn't do well enough..

Personally I've loved all the SR games and my uni housemate and I will be co-oping the hell out of it day one, just like we have since SR2..

(Also.. seeing as it went gold nearly a month ago, hopefully it should be in a good state patch-wise..)

This is fucking great, I'm fairly new to the saints row world. I think I tried to play whatever compilation came out on the ps4, but it was trying to be all things to all people and I wasn't very keen.

This is crazy, there's so much mayhem going on screen it's hard to keep up. Just a little side hussle:

2 hours ago, MDY said:

The contrast here to the Resetera thread reacting to the first couple of hours of a playthrough is striking..

Resetera's a reactionary hellhole so I'm not surprised.

I do wish they'd approached the marketing differently at first. I didn't have a problem with it aside from the slightly visually bland lead cast, but a lot of people immediately shit themselves in rage that it was no longer hardened gangsters in the lead role and badmouthed everything about the game every chance they got regardless of what was actually being shown off.

It's just not a healthy approach, in much the same way unquestioning fawning admiration isn't. Extremes aren't great. (though the fawning example's admittedly much better for sales regardless of how accurate it might be)

And speaking of how it looks, I think it looks great - but more than that, the sound design has really upped the audible punch of the weak sounding guns from previous games. Love it.

On 19/08/2022 at 20:55, marsh said:

Er, this is kind of ok...

First mission is a bit shitty, but the drive home from that. Well, it's over the top shithousery, the level of character customisation is absurd, things explode far too easily, it's a very large world that's seemingly free of jankiness, and maybe because I'm on the ps5 beta test but it's running at 2160p uhd/4k and it looks amazing. It's like Michael Bay decided to direct gta 7.

My local indie went fuck the relase date and put it on the shelf. I happened to be there.

What's the graphics options? 4k 60?

7 minutes ago, Ry said:

What's the graphics options? 4k 60?

On the ps5 it's comprehensive, I'm also on the beta for 1440...

1080p max framerate

1440p high quality 

1440p high framerate

2160p uhd/4k

Not moved it out of that since I noticed it. Not a sniff of lag at all. Noticed a bit of draw distance pop when using the wingsuit, but that is all.

Think my youtube vids default to 480 so I've changed them to 1080 uhd.

3 hours ago, MDY said:

Over there it's clearly the ugliest game ever released/looks like a game from 2013.. stupid hyperbole aside SR was never a technical masterpiece  - the new engine in SR3 was a huge step forward mostly because (unlike SR2) the thing wouldn't crash every couple of hours. Volition aren't Naughty Dog or Rockstar and the series has always been a buggy, B-tier title that occasionally sold AA numbers.. 

They are charging $60 for it, so is it entirely unfair to compare it to something else sold for similar amounts of money or a small premium more? I'd think most people would say no.

Never played this series, despite owning multiple entries because unless you can beat Rockstar North, I'd rather spend my gaming time on the near infinite alternative games available.

On 19/08/2022 at 19:23, Kayin Amoh said:

https://www.monster-shop.co.uk/product-tag/saintsrow/

£35 physical copy on Xbox (including Series X and, uh, not the S) and PS4. Don't know if that has a free PS5 upgrade, which is slightly more expensive.

Are these reliable? £38 for the PS5 version* is crazy low for a new release.

Review embargo is up tomorrow afternoon in the UK. Guessing 78 on Metacritic.

Edit: currently out of stock anyway

On 19/08/2022 at 13:12, Strafe said:

I can’t be bothered to start a thread but I really don’t like it when games release on a Tuesday. I want that stuff for my weekend.

I used to like it when nine times out of ten I’d get the game on the Saturday morning. Weekend sorted. 

Does anyone know if tomorrow I switch my Xbox to New Zealand whether I’ll be able to play it? 

19 minutes ago, Flub said:

There's certainly no cockney geezer in the boss creator app.

Not at the moment, I got the distinct vibe while flying iver the map last night that there could be a fair amount more to come...

Anyway, bulldozer tosser:

Solid enough, plenty to do, lots of side hustles, runs well, missions total nonsense, just need to see how this gang thing pans out. As I flew over the map last night there were a few things I felt were missing, compared to that other open world game it's going to get compared to.

Plenty of scope for DLC. The golf course in particular caught my eye...