IGNORED

Lego Star Wars - Skywalker Saga

gospvg

On the deluxe code issue, WB Games are aware of the problem and are working on a fix. So if you have the deluxe code and only got the classic pack, it should get sorted

My son (whose 5) and I have absolutely rinsed lego city undercover and he has shown some interest in this. The great thing with Lego City was that we could essentially complete it without any pressure on him not to die! Am I right in thinking the new mechanics they’ve implemented here might make this a bit advanced? 

I'd be interested to know that as well. The TT Lego games vary wildly in terms of how child-friendly they are - Lego City Undercover was absolutely perfectly pitched, whereas Lego Star Wars III was obscure and finicky, and frequently splits the players up meaning that if he runs into difficulty, I can't help my son without just taking the pad off him.

32 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

Aiming and being able to take cover changes the combat quite a lot. Also the dodge mechanic and the way you use the force is much more precise. Add in the fact that the camera is now over the shoulder more rather than zoomed out as much I'd say the combat is pretty nicely upgraded.

You could aim and take cover before. Using force is pretty much the same as it was before, you just press a different button to throw.

I'm not really liking the new camera angle, to be honest!

18 minutes ago, GoblinUK said:

My son (whose 5) and I have absolutely rinsed lego city undercover and he has shown some interest in this. The great thing with Lego City was that we could essentially complete it without any pressure on him not to die! Am I right in thinking the new mechanics they’ve implemented here might make this a bit advanced? 

Aside from losing studs, dying has no consequence. Plenty of accessibility options to go through too, some of which look like they make the game easier.

1 hour ago, K said:

I'd be interested to know that as well. The TT Lego games vary wildly in terms of how child-friendly they are - Lego City Undercover was absolutely perfectly pitched, whereas Lego Star Wars III was obscure and finicky, and frequently splits the players up meaning that if he runs into difficulty, I can't help my son without just taking the pad off him.

It starts with a lot of the accessibility stuff already on. It's got all sorts of auto-aim on by default. Automatic health recovery seemed to be on by default too. Most death just loses you some studs that you can quickly recollect (not sure if it's all of them, I've not counted). 

What might be worth putting on is Fall Recovery so if you drop off a cliff you don't lose studs.

Aim toggle too so you don't have to hold the trigger down. 

I've stuck on Hold Button for Quick Taps personally. I hate quick taps. 

There are camera tweaks for sensitivity but nothing to really fix the iffy camera following. It's not too bad for us since we're probably all used to steering by camera but it can be a bit of a struggle for kids. It does let you click in R to orientate behind the player and an option to have that point towards the waypoint instead... bit of a shame you can't do both!

So it turns out TT games have made a major mess. They mixed up the codes for the standard and deluxe editions in physical copies. The deluxe contains codes for the Classic characters only, the standard has codes that give you the season pass. What a joke. Don't know how they plan on sorting this mess out, considering everyone who bought the deluxe edition paid extra for it.

2 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

So it turns out TT games have made a major mess. They mixed up the codes for the standard and deluxe editions in physical copies. The deluxe contains codes for the Classic characters only, the standard has codes that give you the season pass. What a joke. Don't know how they plan on sorting this mess out, considering everyone who bought the deluxe edition paid extra for it.

Guess I should be happy I have a standard version on the way....

9 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

When I put my Deluxe edition codes in the eshop it covered the 7 character packs (not that they are all out yet). Is that right or wrong?

1 minute ago, Rex Grossman said:

When I put my Deluxe edition codes in the eshop it covered the 7 character packs (not that they are all out yet). Is that right or wrong?

Thats right, I think its the PS4/PS5/Xbox versions that are wrong, is yours the Switch version?

1 minute ago, Vorgot said:

Thats right, I think its the PS4/PS5/Xbox versions that are wrong, is yours the Switch version?

It is.

That's a massive pain if all the deluxe purchases for those systems have to get that sorted out. And TT miss out on selling DLC to the people who bought the standard edition.

1 minute ago, Rex Grossman said:

It is.

That's a massive pain if all the deluxe purchases for those systems have to get that sorted out. And TT miss out on selling DLC to the people who bought the standard edition.

And I'd like some money back for paying extra for something all the standard edition buyers got for free. Its a complete mess really. Who knows how they will sort it out. Wish I had just gone digital now, thats working fine apparently

When I first booted it up the opening cut scene featured disembodied lightsabers battling it out. I thought it was an interesting artistic choice, now loading it up again there are dang people holding those lightsabers.

I am so 50/50 on this at the minute. Parts are great, and then a few bits throw me off massively. It will either be up for trade in the next couple of hours or I will power through. 

Can totally get the appeal to play this with wee ones though! 

Played this for an hour or so, starting with the Phantom Menace levels, it seems REALLY good so far.

I have absolutely zero handle on the structure of the game though. So far we've played through everything up to arriving on Tatooine but only a tiny part of it (the underwater chase scene) seems to have counted as a "level". Is the rest all supposed to be some sort of hub world? There were definitely things in the Gungan city that we couldn't access and decided to come back to later, and Naboo seemed like a huge space to explore.

I did sit in stunned silence for a moment or two when I looked through the menu and realised there are nearly 400 characters and over a thousand Kyber Bricks to collect. This game is going to be absolutely massive. I think we might ditch the split-screen co-op for a while though as it's a bit claustrophobic, a bit of old-fashioned pad-swapping in single-player might be the best way to see this one through.

16 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Played this for an hour or so, starting with the Phantom Menace levels, it seems REALLY good so far.

I have absolutely zero handle on the structure of the game though. So far we've played through everything up to arriving on Tatooine but only a tiny part of it (the underwater chase scene) seems to have counted as a "level". Is the rest all supposed to be some sort of hub world? There were definitely things in the Gungan city that we couldn't access and decided to come back to later, and Naboo seemed like a huge space to explore.

I did sit in stunned silence for a moment or two when I looked through the menu and realised there are nearly 400 characters and over a thousand Kyber Bricks to collect. This game is going to be absolutely massive. I think we might ditch the split-screen co-op for a while though as it's a bit claustrophobic, a bit of old-fashioned pad-swapping in single-player might be the best way to see this one through.

The hub worlds seem to be the meat of the exploration. Lots to do in those, while the levels seem pretty short. Finished episode IV but there are some huge areas to explore there

Nice! I've bought a lot of lego recently, the Mario 64 block, the NES and TV, Space Shuttle, 2 Batman Cowls and the 1989 Batwing. Its all very relaxing to do and is what put me in the mood to buy the game, the opposite of you!

First crash. Just leaving a building in Mos Eisley.

Might not have bothered me quite so much if getting back into game didn't take so long.

Intro movie skip seems a bit buggy. The main menu animation of all the characters takes ages. Then you have to confirm the auto saving, and load your game, and confirm loading your game, then skip the episode intro.

But having fun in game.

13 minutes ago, carlospie said:

So if I buy this digital and redeem the standard now youl get the deluxe content?

(I'm on holiday)

No, digital is working properly. It’s only the physical codes

10 hours ago, scottcr said:

I just need this compared to Lego City Undercover which was *brilliant*.  Where is this on the LCU scale?  How many LCU's out of LCU?

It’s nowhere near as good as LCU.

9 hours ago, Vorgot said:

I have the standard edition (PS5) - what should I get a code for? And where is it? Should I have been sent it by Base?

3 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

First crash. Just leaving a building in Mos Eisley.

Crashed twice for me so far. Once on the title screen, once during the “meet Jango” cut scene.

Also very jerky in places, and sometimes won’t let me activate things until I change area and coke back. And markets point at stuff that isn’t there.

Basically the exact same issues in every other Lego game ever. So much for a new engine written from scratch.

17 minutes ago, deKay said:

I have the standard edition (PS5) - what should I get a code for? And where is it? Should I have been sent it by Base?

Apparently it’s only from certain retailers, and I can’t find which ones it is in the UK

32 minutes ago, deKay said:

Crashed twice for me so far. Once on the title screen, once during the “meet Jango” cut scene.

Also very jerky in places, and sometimes won’t let me activate things until I change area and coke back. And markets point at stuff that isn’t there.

Basically the exact same issues in every other Lego game ever. So much for a new engine written from scratch.

It's definitely pretty janky.

Lots of stutter and slowdown around cut scenes (well, mostly scripted events at the beginning and end of levels).

All sorts of interaction issues where it's fussy about where you stand one minute and then doesn't really care the next.

Dragging anything is a pain in the arse with other characters around. They stand in the way and will not move or be pushed out of the way by the thing you're sliding around.

The basic play is fun enough to make up for it but honestly take away the licences and I'd probably think this was terrible.

59 minutes ago, deKay said:

I bought the deluxe edition (Switch) and the code was in the case. If there was meant to be a code for you surely it would also be in the case.

• gospvg changed the title to Lego Star Wars - Skywalker Saga