IGNORED

Lego Star Wars - Skywalker Saga - Spring 2022

gospvg

Showed my 7 year old the trailer last night and he just grinned and said "that's literally the best thing I've ever seen".

Obviously it's not, but I think that's the kind of hyperbolic reaction they're going for from their target audience.

And as an older star wars obsessive who has a positive view of the entire saga, I can't wait to play through all nine films with him :)

This does look rather tasty but I can't help but think that I've played Star Wars themed Lego games so many times before that I struggle to get overly excited about this. Hopefully the gameplay is a bit different compared to the earlier outings.

39 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Hasn’t this already come out at least twice already?

It's not a remake/re-release but a complete reboot. This reboot is more of an open-world experience giving you the freedom to choose where to go and select the mission.

I got a second controller and the Lego Harry Potter Collection for my daughter's birthday recently and, judging by the delighted reaction so far, this will be on the list soon enough. We haven't played one before, apart from maybe a demo long ago, but it's entertaining enough for me too. I don't know if it's standard in these games but I did think it was slightly strange that, with no dialogue and telling such a long story in such an abbreviated fashion, it's hard to make head or tail of what's actually going on plot-wise, but I suppose it's not really aimed at anyone that hasn't read the books and/or watched the films. My daughter exhaustively narrates every character and story detail in any case!

24 minutes ago, gospvg said:

It's not a remake/re-release but a complete reboot. This reboot is more of an open-world experience giving you the freedom to choose where to go and select the mission.

Fair enough! If it moves a bit away from the dated Lego game formula it might hold some interest. 

2 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Fair enough! If it moves a bit away from the dated Lego game formula it might hold some interest. 

I think they realised the old-formula was dated so needed a fresh take, however if this is succesful I expect the new formula to be copy/paste onto other franchises.

My son (also 7) is in the middle of "The complete saga" at the moment, I think I got it for buttons in a digital sale. It is quite dated, but still fun. He's running round the house singing duel of the fates. I said to him, are you not worried about burning out on lego star wars before the skywalker saga comes out? He looked at me like I was stupid and told me it had the sequels in it.

(not an invitation to give us your opinion on the sequels btw)

I was hoping this would make the old Christmas slot and be a fairly epic event for me and my boy (he will be 4 and a half at Christmas) where I would get a 2nd pad and we would spend every waking hour playing through it. So I am disappointed to see the Spring date now, which could mean anything, but when this does eventually arrive it will be something quite special. 

8 hours ago, hmm said:

I got a second controller and the Lego Harry Potter Collection for my daughter's birthday recently and, judging by the delighted reaction so far, this will be on the list soon enough. We haven't played one before, apart from maybe a demo long ago, but it's entertaining enough for me too. I don't know if it's standard in these games but I did think it was slightly strange that, with no dialogue and telling such a long story in such an abbreviated fashion, it's hard to make head or tail of what's actually going on plot-wise, but I suppose it's not really aimed at anyone that hasn't read the books and/or watched the films. My daughter exhaustively narrates every character and story detail in any case!

Lego Harry Potter is brilliant isn’t it. I’m playing it at the moment with my daughter and it’s just hugely enjoyable. 

Some of the controls are needlessly fiddly, and I could do without the whiny student in peril sounds, but it's great fun otherwise, and I'm sure it's especially brilliant if you're into the books or movies. (Not that I mind them, but my daughter's the fan, not me.)

22 minutes ago, hmm said:

Some of the controls are needlessly fiddly, and I could do without the whiny student in peril sounds, but it's great fun otherwise, and I'm sure it's especially brilliant if you're into the books or movies. (Not that I mind them, but my daughter's the fan, not me.)

Definitely get more out of it yeah, I’m reading them every night to her, and then after we’ve finished a book we watch the film of it - only problem with that is we’ll be ahead in the game which follows the story. 

Equally stupidly excited & frustrated that it’s not out until next year.  Seen a couple of reports that the visuals have been worked on and it looks better in the new trailer than the previous one, but I’ll be playing on the Switch so I know it won’t look quite as good as the XB/PS versions, but SW Galaxy in my hands, anywhere, for the win!

(Zip it Steam-Deck owners!)

• 4 months later...

On various different systems I bought the original Lego Star Wars, the Original Trilogy, the Complete Saga (basically those two combined) and then eventually The Force Awakens. And obviously I’m going to buy it/them all over again.

- That looks great

- for a game that is ostensibly aimed at kids it looks surprisingly deep and complex.

- It’s running on a brand new engine that they’re ditching after this because it’s not liked very much, which gives me concern over how it will run on Switch. The cynic in me reckons quite badly with some severe downgrading. Previous Lego Star Wars games ran in unreal.

Oh wow, in. This is despite completing the original saga on my own, the complete saga with my wife, and then doing the complete saga again on my own because one of the kids wiped my save that was close to 100%, and now it's back to close to 100%.

I'm glad this finally has a release date now. Been monitoring this since it was announced years ago, the original trilogy was the first lego game I played and whilst I've played most of the bigger IP's (Jurassic Park/Indiana Jones/Pirates/LOTR), I haven't touched any really in recent years. 

Cannot wait for this though.