Motion sickness in video games

mwaawm

Couldn't find a thread that focussed on this specific issue (some looking at frame rates more generally) but all the Quake love is making me feel left out because I find nausea a not too distant playmate in modern gaming.

I played fps games extensively on my N64 and GameCube without ever encountering significant motion sickness in spite regular mammoth play sessions. I do recall the odd occasion of queeziness after a very long session on Jaguar Doom or AVP but on modern consoles and PC games I avoid games that use the first person perspective as find nausea arising fairly swiftly in them. Is this something for me to chalk up simply alongside other aspects of aging or is it to do with the higher frame rates used now (though have read some commentary suggesting low frame rates are to blame) or the fact the games are much more fast moving with lots of rapid turns and changes of the viewpoint?

Would like to be able to address it as do miss this genre of game.

I don't think frame rate is the explanation as if that were so would have associated it with historical console multiplayer sessions when frame rates dropped but wasn't my experience and probably started encountering it more initially on PC and then on modern consoles.

The only time i get motion sickness from FPS games is if the FOV is too narrow! which is usually on console games! its like looking through a tunnel!

so this is 95, then below 75 - the 75 is what you often get on a console (probably not in the quake rerelease, but in a lot)

If you are playing on PC try playing with a wider FOV and see how you feel! OH, and head bob! turn that shit off!

717005848_quakefov95.thumb.JPG.65912480bf38e90325f7ac9a9c0ce529.JPG

1340581235_quakefov75.thumb.JPG.e4b5e1643fdca16c42505760435c22e8.JPG

Its not likely to be the frame rate, althouth, yeah, the lower the worse and the higher the better!

I've always suffered really badly with it, from when I first played Wolfenstein 3D onwards. I'm actually getting worse as I get older and have started struggling with 3rd person and even driving games. Weirdly, it's not consistent and I can't work out why. I can play Gears of War, but God of War makes me feel sick. I can play Forza Horizon 4, but get a bit queasy playing Forza Motorsport 7. I had no issues with the Gran Turismo series, but couldn't play any of the Codemasters games like TOCA or Grid(?). I recently found out that Mario 64 sets me off. 

I haven't found a way to lessen or stop it either. I've fiddled with brightness and contrast, distance from the screen and do on, but nothing works. 

It's a pain because there is a significant chunk of games that I can't play, so I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of stuff. 

I play loads of shooters and am generally fine, but there's still been a few that have triggered it and gotten the quick uninstall - Shadow Warrior and Metro 2033 being the ones I can remember.

It's also not first-person exclusive, I've had it in Max Payne 2, for instance, it's a FOV issue.

Outside of VR, I've never had any problems with sickness until Resident Evil Village, that made me feel terrible after about 20 minutes. The FOV is disgustingly low so i'm blaming that. I did eventually get used to it and beat the game but i'd never play it again. 

I’ve never suffered from motion sickness at all, in games or elsewhere, and then Supraland had me wanting to vomit within about 20 minutes. No idea what it was about that game specifically but it got uninstalled pretty sharpish. 

I don't really get motion sickness, but some VR games have screwed with me; particularly anything involving extended play (my first Direct Assault in Rez Infinite was rough - likewise Zone mode in Wipeout Omega Collection.)

For flat-panel games... I guess I find it disorienting if I have to move a character in a way that my brain isn't used to - like when you're playing Portal and having your view turned around mid-"fall", or something.

I only ever got it once, in Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl.  I think that was more to do with the ridiculous levels of head bob than the FOV, but I've been really lucky with everything else.  Still haven't played a modern VR game though. 

20 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

I only ever got it once, in Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl.  I think that was more to do with the ridiculous levels of head bob than the FOV, but I've been really lucky with everything else.  Still haven't played a modern VR game though. 

well, if you want to play through stalker, without the stupid head bob, and a nice FOV, - https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-anomaly

its ace! its also all the maps from all 3 put together...it is a bit hard though...and the crafting system is utterly unintelligible lol

I get this a lot, and it’s pretty inconsistent for me too. Any source engine games fuck me right up, though I got through portal as you can play it at your own pace. I played Doom 2016 no problem, but doom eternal was a disaster. Hearing people talk about how great titanfall 2 single player is breaks my heart. I can play any halo game without a hint of it though. 

I actually bought some travel sickness tablets recently to see if they would help. Haven’t tried them yet but I’ll post in here if I can play titanfall 2 with them. 

As a kid, the original Doom used to make me feel awful with motion sickness. At the time, I never really knew what it was though and just kept on playing despite feeling like death. These days I don't really suffer from it for the most part - not even the original Doom triggers it anymore - but there have been a handful of titles with a very narrow FOV where its crept up on me. Singularity on PC springs to mind. The Witness also left me feeling a bit queasy but after a session or two, it went away.

Same thing happening with RE8. The first session on it wasn't bad but it definitely triggered that woozy feeling. I dunno why but the second time I sat down to play it, I was completely fine and finished the rest of the game with no issues.

VR is a different story though. If things quickly get hectic in a game when I'm in a VR headset, it can hit me like a freight train.

I get motion sickness on a big screen TV in a FPS game where the movement bobs (rather than being smooth like a car).  I think some games let you turn off the bobbing but most don't. 

VR is weird for me.  I really like it and bought my headset on day one but it's took me a number of sessions to get really comfortable with it.  Even then, I could play drive club VR for more than 10 minutes (although the non VR game became a must play in cinema mode, along with NFSS Hot Pursuit).  But one day it just clicked and I played VR Drive club for an hour and loved it.  Then a year or so later I picked up Star Wars Rogue Squadrons and it made me feel really unwell in a weird way that lasted a whole day. 

I'm curious if you get motion sickness when travelling in a car as well?

I don't get motion sickness in games but I can barely travel 3 miles in a car unless I take a tablet.

Had awful motion sickness first time I played Doom (Doom 2?), on my dad’s work PC a million year ago. Constant nausea. Never suffered from travel sickness as a child, still don’t as an adult, so the sickly sensation freaked me out a fair bit.

I actively avoid FPSes because of the motion sickness issue. The most recent FPS I played was Perfect Dark on the N64, of course unless Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2 count as FPSes – I played those in short bursts and felt OK playing them and managed to complete them both.

edit: here’s a thought, I had motion sickness from playing on CRT monitors and televisions, but have never played an FPS on a modern LCD display. I’m wondering if that will make any kind of difference? 🤔

Edited by Protocol Penguin

The only time I’ve ever suffered from this in over 30 years of playing games is with The Witness. Thankfully it was a fairly common issue with that game and that prompted them to patch it to include a small reticle and an FOV option, both of which alleviated it for me.

I really sympathise with those who suffer from it regularly as my brief experience was absolutely horrible and it would really suck to have my favourite hobby make me feel literally ill. 🤢

2 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

I’ve never suffered from motion sickness at all, in games or elsewhere, and then Supraland had me wanting to vomit within about 20 minutes. No idea what it was about that game specifically but it got uninstalled pretty sharpish. 

Supraland got me too, felt awful after that. Lego Worlds did it too and occasionally Minecraft. 

3 hours ago, Mallet said:

I don't get motion sickness in games but I can barely travel 3 miles in a car unless I take a tablet.

Used to get coach sick as a child, cars never really been a problem.

4 hours ago, Mallet said:

Yeah, I get seasick doing the washing up. 

I used to enjoy Forsaken back in the day on my N64 so am really puzzled why modern first person games give me problems....Am gonna take a chance on the Quake remaster on my switch and see if upping the FOV to max means I can enoy it without it turning me green.

11 hours ago, mwaawm said:

Couldn't find a thread that focussed on this specific issue (some looking at frame rates more generally) but all the Quake love is making me feel left out because I find nausea a not too distant playmate in modern gaming.

I played fps games extensively on my N64 and GameCube without ever encountering significant motion sickness in spite regular mammoth play sessions. I do recall the odd occasion of queeziness after a very long session on Jaguar Doom or AVP but on modern consoles and PC games I avoid games that use the first person perspective as find nausea arising fairly swiftly in them. Is this something for me to chalk up simply alongside other aspects of aging or is it to do with the higher frame rates used now (though have read some commentary suggesting low frame rates are to blame) or the fact the games are much more fast moving with lots of rapid turns and changes of the viewpoint?

Would like to be able to address it as do miss this genre of game.

I don't think frame rate is the explanation as if that were so would have associated it with historical console multiplayer sessions when frame rates dropped but wasn't my experience and probably started encountering it more initially on PC and then on modern consoles.

Are you sitting closer to a larger screen than you used to, giving yourself a narrower and more intense field of view? I don't think ageing is to blame unless you've developed vertigo and gaming triggers it. Can you try sitting further back from the screen, adjusting lighting in your room (perhaps it's too dark?) and making the experience a bit less intense?

Am currently being forced by building work and furniture cramming much closer to the TV currently but it's something that's been occurring for a number of years.

I did just have a go on Quake with the fov maxed to 125 played through the first level quite enjoyably as well as most of the second level.....stuck looking for a door key now and felt things coming on so quit while I was ahead. Am hoping to try maxing fov on games that allow it and retreating to more normal viewing distances will help.

Trying repeatedly to do that timed tutorial run in Titanfall 2 in 30 seconds for the trophy is the worst I’ve ever had it - was like the worst hang-over I’ve ever had and had to take a couple of days to recover. I should have stopped when the cold sweats started, but I persisted into feeling a bit nauseous and it then got to the point where I had to lie down in a dark room.

Prior to that I’ve had notable difficulty going back to Metroid Prime and Medal of Honor: Frontline (on PS2).

Funny thing is, I can do multiple hour sessions in Star Wars Squadrons VR in a rotating cockpit that is going every which way in the blink of an eye, and don’t feel any ill effects at all.

VR motion gets me quite easily, but on "normal" games it's far less common.
Occasionally I get it on "normal" games but that's quite rare.
The only one that did have a consistent effect was Resident Evil Village. The slower more lumbering movement on a big screen not too far away had me feeling iffy all the time

I’m mostly fine, but every now and again a game comes along that throws me. It’s definitely not a field of view issue - I was absolutely fine with Resi Village. Having a reticule can be a factor - What Remains of Edith Finch threatened to throw me until I turned it on - but Far Cry 2, with reticule turned in, still got me, so it’s not exclusively that. Possibly head bob? Quake on Xbox has been very hard going, and there’s no head bob enabled by default.

It’s very hard to pin down as, in my experience, there’s no one thing you can point to that’s causing it. For me, it only happens with FPS games, though VR is a different story (Astrobot killed me the first time, but I was indeed able to ‘get my legs’ over time, something which is not possible with motion sickness in other games) and I suspect there are other factors at play. Have any studies been conducted in the subject? I’d be fascinated to learn more, so I know what to avoid, rather than just these theories we share that don’t seem to apply universally. 

Could it be down to one’s own physiology at the time of playing? Circumstances that may vary and change in the body, affecting the same or similar play experiences, producing different results?

Had it for some games and not others.  What’s weird is I can play on pc/monitor and be largely fine, but when I switch to console/tv that’s more likely to trigger it.  Worse I’ve had it recently is Jedi Outcast and Control.  Legs started shaking badly to the point it took a good half hour for them to stop.  

I get it on VR, after about 10 minutes of anything with a lot of movement I get the cold sweats and feel sick for a day or two afterwards. The only time it’s happened on non-VR is after about an hour of Doom on the Saturn. It’s happened twice on Doom, I think it’s the abysmal frame rate.

My worst games for sickness are back on the N64.  Playing solo Goldeneye or Perfect Dark would make me feel dreadful within about 40 minutes, and if I was stupid enough to push on... because y'know just-want-to-finish-this-bit and I'd have to go and lie down and feel like crap for a few hours.  Weirdly, playing 4 players - where we'd often have mammoth 4-6 hours sessions) and there's no issues at all.  I'd heard about the FOV thing before but it was difficult to tell which games were doing what.

I thought I'd be ok in VR.  I've flown FPV drones for the past 9 years (pair of goggles on your face giving you the camera feed of a fast quad racing around) but nope.  Movement in VR has made me really sick very quickly.  I've been ok in slower games like Astro, or Statik.  But I've really wanted to play RE VII in VR but that induced real sickness.  I've upgraded to a PS5 so I'm hoping a better frame rate might help.

Yeah. I’ve had it since I was a kid. 

1. Had to use the emergency stop button on the VR Michael Jackson ride in Sega World when I was 14. 

2. Couldn’t play Timesplitters on my launch PS2. 

3. Couldn’t play Doom 2016. 

4. Any VR game which has any lateral movement in makes me instantly feel like I’m going to vom. Even games that are static but use the slow movement to get from A to B (rather than blink) and I’m done for. 

Interested to try a few things mentioned above like the FOV. It’s a curse which I think is getting worse as I get older.