Call Of Duty Vanguard - WW2 2021 style

englishbob

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

You have....no thoughts on it?

:) I thought the animated bloke said it all really.

I'll play a bit more later either today or tomorrow, but so far it ain't that great. I think a lot of players thought Cold War was a step back from MW before it, Vanguard feels like a giant leap backwards, pole vaulting even.

Played for about 2h or so by now.

It is not bad, I actually enjoy it more than the latest one.

But it seems to be quite rough technically. At 120hz it is very low res and blurry also seem to have a lot of stuttering and lag. Some really bad animations too.

But the general gunplay seems really nice. 

I’ve enjoyed it as the guns feel good. Not played much MP COD since MW2 orig though. Like the choice tactical mode of slower, less players. Thank god we’ve got a new Warzone map though, still playing that for two years.

On the gunsmith screen there a huge list of stuff to pick rather than the usual pick six attachments. Are they going to have this new gunsmith in integrating all existing weapons in Warzone?

2 hours ago, carlospie said:

I think the graphics look pretty nice. Lots of nice particles flying around.

That is very true. Makes it hard to see, especially indoor where it seems that debris and particles keep circling about long after any kind of explosion has taken place.

The would be another critique from my side, it is very hard to spot people. 9 out of 10 I would say that I spot the orange (what happened to red?) name tag and not the player model.

Played a few games a wee while ago. It's CoD all right. Solid enough but BF is my go to MP shooter and always will be. Would also rather play Hell Let Loose and Insurgency over this. 

I always find it difficult to judge Call Of Duty games from betas. I'm shit at them anyway and the shift in feeling, ttk and not knowing the maps doesn't help. It's got some nice ideas in it, like destructible walls and whether you want small medium or large teams but the WW2 theme doesn't thrill me, neither does the aggressively clichéd voiceovers. And getting shot in the back repeatedly, but I don't know if that's because of spawns or if Deadly Silence/Ninja is still a perk or whatever. I've just unlocked loadouts so I'll go back in in a bit and see if I can get my eye in.

There's nothing in the first hour or so to make me preorder immediately. 

Played some more. It's fine. The SMGs are dominant, sliding and jumping round corners is still a thing, the maps are all over the place in quality. Cross play still sucks so I turned that off. It's Call Of Duty.

The guns seem to lack impact and weight. I'd need to download it and have a look but the whole thing reminds me of WWII, which was Sledgehammers last CoD? I'll be interested to see what they do with Zombies as it's Treyarch doing that part of the game.

Watched Jack Frags playing this. Looks like a bootleg pay to win shooter. 
Seems like they’ve turned up the movement speed to 11 to hide the terrible animation and gun play. 

it looks more like an arena based shooter than call of duty. Maps are beyond uninspired  and the shooting mechanics are terrible. 

The yearly grind of pumping a game out for fall release is starting to show that amount of time isn’t enough. 

clearly all the dev time is on the new warzone  map and boy does it show.

8 minutes ago, Dave White said:

Watched Jack Frags playing this. Looks like a bootleg pay to win shooter. 
Seems like they’ve turned up the movement speed to 11 to hide the terrible animation and gun play. 

it looks more like an arena based shooter than call of duty. Maps are beyond uninspired  and the shooting mechanics are terrible. 

The yearly grind of pumping a game out for fall release is starting to show that amount of time isn’t enough. 

clearly all the dev time is on the new warzone  map and boy does it show.

It's one of the many CoD variants, man. We go through this every year. Every year they bring a new one out, some of us go "It's just CoD", others go "it's like a brand new game!" And more say what you've said there and you're absolutely correct in that the yearly cycle is diminishing the game. They have like 7 studios working on this version, with the 'C' studio working on the meat of it.

The thing is it'll still sell and not necessarily to the usual crowd. CoD is like Minecraft and Roblox and all that in that it'll find a new audience as they get old enough to play it.

We all want the things we like to be consistent and familiar but that's how franchises die. It'll be interesting to see how Battlefield 2042 fares given the rumblings that it's nowhere near ready even with a 5 week delay. They haven't even locked the beta dates in yet.

I like Cold War multiplayer, pulled me away from Warzone, which pulled me away from Apex. I'll be getting this but I just know my go to baddie shooting online will be Battlefield 2042 next.

Tried turning off 120hz and it made a BIG difference to resolution and clarity of the game. Resolution in 120hz seems to take a much bigger hit in this than in Cold War, the difference was more on par with the on i Battlefield V when you turn on FPS Boost.

On 20/09/2021 at 15:54, carlospie said:

I really don't like this. It was pretty funny getting killed by a dog again and again for about three seconds. The colours are so brown. Old skool war is boring, modern with gadgeta is much more exciting. 

This was my takeaway too. Whatever its faults Cold Wars setting was a sweet spot for me.

On 19/09/2021 at 09:37, carlospie said:

I think the graphics look pretty nice. Lots of nice particles flying around.

Yeah, I think anyone saying it looks worse than Black Ops must have broken eyes. 

Yes, the game is shite, but it's a looker. Considering it's built on the MW engine though I'd expect that. 

On 20/09/2021 at 08:41, moosegrinder said:

It's one of the many CoD variants, man. We go through this every year. Every year they bring a new one out, some of us go "It's just CoD", others go "it's like a brand new game!" And more say what you've said there and you're absolutely correct in that the yearly cycle is diminishing the game. They have like 7 studios working on this version, with the 'C' studio working on the meat of it.

I forget where I read it, but at one point last year Acti had almost 2000 staff working on the Cod games. It's insane.

The thing that puts me off CoD games for the last 5 years or so is the inevitable hard drive hogging insane update sizes. I dont care how good the game is if I have to watch a bar fill up everytime I fancy a go.

Bring back MW2 with it's 15 second patches 

In fact just bring back MW2 multiplayer and the rest of the series can get in the bin

38 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

The thing that puts me off CoD games for the last 5 years or so is the inevitable hard drive hogging insane update sizes. I dont care how good the game is if I have to watch a bar fill up everytime I fancy a go.

Bring back MW2 with it's 15 second patches 

In fact just bring back MW2 multiplayer and the rest of the series can get in the bin

rumour has it mw2 mp is getting remastered for 2022.

The pinnacle of the series. 

4 hours ago, Dave White said:

rumour has it mw2 mp is getting remastered for 2022.

The pinnacle of the series. 

All I remember from MW2 was that FFA mode was fucked due to tactical insertion, and that actually turned into part of the game to listen for and hunt the cheaters and spoil their fun.

I'm intrigued at the 3:00 minute mark here "On demand texture streaming" that is downloaded as you play - surely that isn't a good thing? DF seem clueless as to what it is. Something to keep the install size down?