Call Of Duty Vanguard - WW2 2021 style

englishbob

Christ, even by CoD standards everything that's come out about this one looks and sounds uninspired. Thanks for making it easy for me to skip buying a game from your company of sex pests this year Bobby.

2017 COD WW2 was an absolute embarrassment, judging by the few hours I endured when it appeared on PS+, and they're going to have a job persuading me about this one. Vaguely curious about how they're integrating all three games in Warzone though.

Black Ops Cold War was the first time I ever skipped the yearly ritual. Coming off modern warfare which was an utterly epic return to form. 
It had the same comedown that Mw3 had after 2. Embarrassingly lazy map design an utter slide  backwards in everything. The Beta killed it DOA for me.  

I never thought the day would come were I would fondly reminisce about the series and never bother again, but alas that’s how it is. 

glad I spent the year back on pubg. You milked it dry activision and times up. 

No, Vanguard is the new one. Warzone is an adjacent game that will tie in with whatever the new release is.

The thing is no matter what we think CoD still sells millions of copies, it's not going anywhere. It'll still be a downward spiral because Activision make sure the Devs kowtow to the loudest voices on Reddit and social media. 

I'm not bothered. WWII didn't bother me and I didn't stick with it, but then I'm a massive hypocrite and end up buying the new one when it's down in price a month after launch. I did with Cold War and while it's  massive step back from MW I've still put a stupid amount of time into it. Admittedly more in Zombies than mp because Outbreak is genuinely one of the best things to come from the series in an absolute age. Fucking love it.

Anyway I look forward to the CoD cycle beginning anew in earnest when we all buckle and break, just so we can chuck our two pennorth worth in 😛

Most revelatory thing about COD in recent iterations is no paid-for DLC map packs. You could argue that these should be ready for launch, but updates come in quite quickly overall once the boredom kicks in. 

There does seem to be a dearth of original maps though, nearly all the ones that come with the updates you'd played before somewhere else.

I don't know too much about the business machinations of Activision, but I think I paid about £45 for Cold War and certain have had good value out of it over the last 9 months. It still ends up being my go-to 10 minute game to shoot people in a FFA match.

2 hours ago, englishbob said:

I don't know too much about the business machinations of Activision

They're brilliant. One of the only publishers that actually takes care of their staff, even providing them with suites when they visit trade shows. They also encourage exercise during work time and organise cube crawls where the staff get to move around and interact with other people. Definitely give them your support and money.

9 hours ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Definitely give them your support and money.

It transpires that this COD ends up being the best one ever made. Or maybe another game they publish this year is the best game ever made by developers you love.

You out then?

PlayStation Alpha starts today at 10am PT (6pm ish GMT without looking?)

Download from the PS Store. It's Champion Hill mode only

At least you get to try before you buy.

Public Betas in September, again PlayStation owners get 2 extra days. See below

After a worldwide Multiplayer Reveal on Tuesday September 7, get ready to experience the Call of Duty: Vanguard Beta! This will be held over two weekends: from Friday September 10 to Monday, September 13, and Thursday, September 16 to Monday, September 20.

The first weekend – September 10 to September 13 – will be for PlayStation owners who have pre-ordered the game.

The second weekend will be considered an Open Beta in its entirety for PlayStation owners. Those on other platforms will need to pre-order the game to access the first two days of the Beta (September 16 and 17), before it becomes an Open Beta for all platforms from Saturday, September 18 to Monday, September 20 at 10 AM PT.

I suppose you could say this alpha is mostly a network test, but it will have some elements of the final game on it.

Oh dear, I've had better engagement out of a fart in the bath. The sound is awful (and the mockney shouting) and the gunplay feels unconnected.

Reserve final purchasing judgement for the open beta experience.

On 17/08/2021 at 07:21, Dave White said:

I never thought the day would come were I would fondly reminisce about the series and never bother again, but alas that’s how it is. 

glad I spent the year back on pubg. You milked it dry activision and times up. 

you know they’ll drag you back. 

F95FD1CE-1E0D-49A2-BADD-17345110B690.jpeg

On 20/08/2021 at 08:58, Steve McQueef said:

On the topic of COD, what's with all the PS4 copies of Modern Warfare that have recently appeared on eBay?

Is it going on PS Plus, or something else I don't know about?

At a guess - new PS5 owners who realise that installing it on their new machine is a shit show and would consume roughly 1/3 of the entire storage available. 

I've tried to install in on the PS5 - its horrific. Takes around 150GB to install, then there is a 91GB update file that is about 3 hours to download. Then you start the game and realise no modes are playable without further "pack" downloads, and there are numerous ones (2 MP ones and 5 texture packs for example just for MP).

Delete

24 minutes ago, englishbob said:

At a guess - new PS5 owners who realise that installing it on their new machine is a shit show and would consume roughly 1/3 of the entire storage available. 

I've tried to install in on the PS5 - its horrific. Takes around 150GB to install, then there is a 91GB update file that is about 3 hours to download. Then you start the game and realise no modes are playable without further "pack" downloads, and there are numerous ones (2 MP ones and 5 texture packs for example just for MP).

Delete

I recently uninstalled MW and Warzone on my Series X. It freed up over 220GB in total. Nuts.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone been watching the multiplayer gameplay vids?

After the shitstain that was Cold War, Vanguard looks surprisingly decent - maps look great, colours seem vibrant and thankfully the series went back to using the modern warfare engine so gameplay seems spot on.

Made me pre-purchase and looking forward to the open beta on the PS5 in a few days.

I had lots of issues initially with net code hitching but they’ve done a mid flight patch which seems to have sorted it. 

So far I’d say decent, back to that slightly more deliberate pace of MW than Black Ops speed, but still fast. 

The other guns and explosions in the maps sound absolutely terrible, which must surely be a beta problem. Also the announcer cockney screams stuff like ‘triple kill’ at you which is very annoying. 

Example: 

Played the beat a few times.  

The two maps aren’t great, sound is awful and graphically not as good as Cold War.  

lots of latency issues but it is a beta I suppose.  Not overly enamoured yet but I prefer Cold War to modern warfare style.  

On 08/09/2021 at 12:04, Omizzay said:

Anyone been watching the multiplayer gameplay vids?

After the shitstain that was Cold War, Vanguard looks surprisingly decent - maps look great, colours seem vibrant and thankfully the series went back to using the modern warfare engine so gameplay seems spot on.

Made me pre-purchase and looking forward to the open beta on the PS5 in a few days.

Horses for courses, I'm interested in trying the MP beta next week (if Sony can ever get around to sending me a working controller back) but my initial impressions of the alpha was this was a bit tragic.

Cold War, as a package, is hardly a shitstain

There is one mode called Patrol which is basically King of the Hill, however the hill moves. Not like Crazy King, but as in it literally moves through the map so you’ve got a mobile kill zone. It’s very good. 

Considering that Activision had to pull Sledgehammer out of last year’s COD, combined with the embarrassment that was 2017 WW2 at launch, I’m highly skeptical of this one. 

Even though I consider the last 4 CODs to have been largely regressive, I still have hopes of a return to form. Although I definitely won’t be diving into this one at launch. 

This isn’t great and has troubled development written all over it.

It’s glitchy and the sound is crap but that might be just the beta. 

I hate the WW2 weapons with the non historical attachments. Really annoys me, make a WW2 game or don’t. 

Doesn’t feel as good as modern warfare and if you didn’t like the unrealistic movement and shooting mechanics in Cold War you’ll hate this. 

Has destructive environments which are cool.