Road 96 - procedural road trip - PC/Switch - 16/08

BadgerFarmer

On the flip-side of this, I've stopped after 10 minutes because the initial cut-scene was abysmal and the voice acting is in fact some of the very worst and inappropriate I've heard in a modern game. Honestly, if you can't hire people who are at least somewhat competent, then just give me text. 

Edit: A bit to this. As soon as you switch on, it immediately felt like I was playing a game made by Apple. The smarmy, self-congratulatory Apple you sometimes get when you watch a Keynote, or step into one of their stores to be greeted by an overly-enthusiastic assistant. 

I'm sure there's a good game in it - certainly, the idea of it seems to be great, and it had been on my wishlist for ages, but whilst there are some games that I'm happy for them to take their time to get going, I found myself immediately pissed off with it - which is incredibly rare for a game to have that effect on me. Really, really strange. 

I've been looking forward to playing more - it featured in the E3 Demo event that Steam put on.

The only thing that put me off following the demo was the fact that the Demo itself was hard-locked into letting you play two scenarios before locking you out of playing any more, which did make me wonder if there's enough narrative meat on the bone outside of what you could play at the time.

Still, I enjoyed the concept and the actual gameplay which was basically Roguelike Edith Finch.  Which sounds fucking daft, but it worked for me to consider buying the full game!

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

On the flip-side of this, I've stopped after 10 minutes because the initial cut-scene was abysmal and the voice acting is in fact some of the very worst and inappropriate I've heard in a modern game. Honestly, if you can't hire people who are at least somewhat competent, then just give me text. 

Edit: A bit to this. As soon as you switch on, it immediately felt like I was playing a game made by Apple. The smarmy, self-congratulatory Apple you sometimes get when you watch a Keynote, or step into one of their stores to be greeted by an overly-enthusiastic assistant. 

I'm sure there's a good game in it - certainly, the idea of it seems to be great, and it had been on my wishlist for ages, but whilst there are some games that I'm happy for them to take their time to get going, I found myself immediately pissed off with it - which is incredibly rare for a game to have that effect on me. Really, really strange. 

A literal case of your mileage may vary.

18 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

Anyone knows how it plays on switch? I'm starting to lose a bit of confidence in the performance of 3D indie games on switch.

Haven’t played it myself, but here’s a quote from one of the Switch reviews:

Unfortunately, it is a little rough around the edges with low-res textures and the odd asset popping in, breaking the immersion. However, it’s the performance that really lets down Road 96. Throughout, the frame rate remains inconsistent. Although it doesn’t take away from the expertly crafted storytelling, it does make the moment-to-moment gameplay feel sluggish. I did encounter one serious bug that stopped me from continuing my story. Due to this, I had to delete the game data, losing all of my progress. Whilst frustrating, I was eager to instantly hit the road again, thanks to the incredible world at hand

On 16/08/2021 at 15:31, LaveDisco said:

Anyone knows how it plays on switch? I'm starting to lose a bit of confidence in the performance of 3D indie games on switch.

Seems like it performs worse than Firewatch did at launch and most people didn't consider that game a looker either.

The switch demo gave a pretty bad impression all round, aside from graphics it makes it seem like it's just narrative bits wrapped around some shite minigames. I don't know if that's accurate but it sure seems that way from the demo

I'm curious about it though so if it ever hits gamepass I'll be right on it.