Neon Genesis Evangelion Thread - You Can (Not) Neg

Harsin

On 20/08/2021 at 23:50, smac said:

Weird how you spot little asides in the dialog you missed before. And I swear the city transformations are tributes to the likes of Thunderbirds; the music is such a pastiche.

Anno was a HUGE Thunderbirds fan - he even made a documentary about the phenomenon it was back in the 60's in Japan and the huge influence it's had on Manga/Anime since.. the 'team of good guys piloting multiple different super vehicles' show kinda became a thing over there.. :D

On 16/08/2021 at 13:45, revlob said:

Episode 6 of the original series is one of the best things I've ever seen in anime. The idea of running an entire country's electrical grid through a gun the size of a building in order to kill a giant alien Rubik's Cube, while holding off its attack using the underside of a space shuttle as a shield, all while this amazing piece is playing, blew my tiny mind:

Hearing that in isolation, it's very much a homage  to one of John Barry's early 007 themes..

13 hours ago, smac said:

Yeah, I'm half-way through it and :blink:

Wait till you get to 3.33 - the characters themselves regularly say they don’t understand anything that is happening so you get permission not to have a clue.

3 hours ago, MDY said:

Anno was a HUGE Thunderbirds fan - he even made a documentary about the phenomenon it was back in the 60's in Japan and the huge influence it's had on Manga/Anime since.. the 'team of good guys piloting multiple different super vehicles' show kinda became a thing over there.. :D

I'm old enough to have watched some of the original broadcasts of Jerry Anderson's stuff.

As a young kid, my two favourite shows were Joe 90 and a cartoon called 'Marine Boy' - which turns out to have been an early anime, one of the first dubbed for the English market.

A lot of similarities there, too; scientist father, ton of cool gadgets, kid taking on adults in a dangerous world. You see shows like that and realise there was a degree of cross-pollination going on.

Mind blown on the Thunderbirds stuff! That Decisive Battle is very much in the same vein as music from that show, also the transforming Tokyo 3 is very Stingray (the best if Gerry Anderson's shows)

3 hours ago, wev said:

Mind blown on the Thunderbirds stuff! That Decisive Battle is very much in the same vein as music from that show, also the transforming Tokyo 3 is very Stingray (the best if Gerry Anderson's shows)

Yeah, that's the bit I was thinking of.

On 23/08/2021 at 08:34, MDY said:

Don't suppose you have a link to this at all please? 

6 hours ago, Arn X Treme said:

Don't suppose you have a link to this at all please? 

Afraid not, I've just heard it mentioned from multiple sources, as far as I'm aware it's not been given an English translation.. 

Oh man I feel old, remember buying the ADV boxset, then the Platinum boxset and then watching EofE and hating it due to how the characters were treated. However, now knowing what he went through I can understand, and he has huge balls to go through with it.

Anyway last movie, I don't know how I feel about it. I don't mind how it ended, everyone had some what of a happy ending but I'm still gutted to what happened to Misato. I need to watch it again but the things that I disliked were some of the CG wasn't that good, the fights scenes in certain parts were terrible. This was some Michael Bay shit going on there but I did somewhat feel satisfied with some of the plot points, and Gendo and Shinji's relationship being resolved which though so anime was really heart warming.

Just saw the rebuild stuff myself last week. It was.....different.

Agree with that last part re gendo, though otherwise think I much preferred the series + EoE in terms of tone, pacing and, I dunno, scale I guess? Everything in the series felt like a huge engineering achievement in its own right, and every threat an individual challenge. In the rebuild there's no infrastructure and mobs of individually insignificant enemies in incomprehensibly large numbers. It's still valid I suppose, but it's totally the opposite of what came previously.

Also, I understand that the new character was at the insistence of producers or something, but really adds nothing of substance at all.

I do kinda want to go back and rewatch the series now, though.

30 minutes ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

Also, I understand that the new character was at the insistence of producers or something, but really adds nothing of substance at all.

Because she has big boobs.

Also maybe because I'm older now but I cringed at the fanservice.

8 hours ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

I think this sentiment largely arises from the character’s purpose not being clear enough, early enough.  But her purpose came clear in the end, and I thought was plausible enough.

• 1 month later...