Console games with Arcade games in them

Goemon

I’m always interested in playing old arcade games

Having recently been disappointed by the look of Alien Syndrome on the Master System and the PS2 version being a poly remake I’ve just found out that the arcade version was on the Megadrive Ultimate collection on the PS3/360.

Just made me think what games are out there that have arcades games available or hidden on them.

Anyone got any info on arcade games lurking on console games?

Not an arcade game, but as an example of the genre of 'older games included in playable form in-world' genre, I've always enjoyed that Day of the Tentacle includes the entirety of Maniac Mansion as a game that you can play on Ed's computer.

(I like even more that this makes it entirely recursive, as Maniac Mansion is the direct predecessor to Day of the Tentacle, and that Ed is one of the antagonists of Maniac Mansion, and references the events and his behaviour in said game when you talk to him)

Outside of Shenmue/Yakuza, I'm sure I recall other games having playable versions of arcade games located within them, but I'm drawing a complete blank as to what games those might be. Useful, I know!

Edit: oh, Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise has arcade games as well, continuing the Sega/Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio tradition of sticking functional arcades in their worlds. The trick seems to be finding publishers other than Sega who do this — which I guess is tricky largely because they're one of the only studios who both have a long history of arcade games, and make games with settings that warrant warrant sticking arcade games in them! Most of the other arcade giants (e.g. Namco, Capcom, SNK) only really seem interested in sticking them into compilations, rather than embedding them in their games. A shame, as I do imagine I'd have a much easier time of Capcom's horror games if they'd space them out the terror with a few scrolling beat-em-up cabinets to chill out on!

I didn't mind the PS2 remake of Alien Syndrome but you'll want the 3rd Sega 3D archives collection for the JPN 3DS for a perfect version of the original one. 

Dipping into Yu Suzuki Game Works on DC is pretty cool as it contains decent - if brutally tough - ports of Space Harrier, Hang On, Afterburner, Out Run and Power Drift (no Shenmues required). 

Leaving arcade game compilations aside I recall the original Splatterhouse is available on the XBox360 reimagining as an unlockable. 

Those cheeky one-level versions of Gradius and Xexex hidden in Goemon 1 & 2 on Super Famicom are pretty great.

GTA Online!

(Not real arcade games but some of them are quite fun). 

Also the Fallout 4 and (I think) Fallout 76 have arcade games you can play on your Pip-Boy. They are more like parodies of really simple games like Breakout but quite faithful in some ways. 

Oh, and there's also Rampage World Tour that has the original Rampage, and that GC Star Wars game with two Star Wars arcade games in it.

I think new games having older versions in them is relatively common. See also Wolfenstein and Sonic Adventure 2.

Donkey Kong 64 had original Donkey Kong and Jet Pac 

Ninja Gaiden Black had Ninja Gaiden arcade and NES versions 

TMNT on Xbox had the TMNT arcade game 

Tekken 5 I think had Tekken 1,2 and 3 in there somewhere 

1 hour ago, Jazz Glands said:

Yeah, it does! They're the arcade versions, so they don't have the additional content from the Playstation ones, but they're basically perfect ports and available right from the start.

9 hours ago, Jazz Glands said:

Donkey Kong 64 had original Donkey Kong and Jet Pac 

Ninja Gaiden Black had Ninja Gaiden arcade and NES versions 

TMNT on Xbox had the TMNT arcade game 

no way!

which turtles game has the arcade game in it?

Wasn’t F-Zero AX buried away on GX if you had a cheat device?

Also I heard that House of the Dead 3 for Xbox had HOTD2 in there as an unlock?

Oh, and it’s not an arcade game, but the PSP title Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles had the original Dracula X game and Symphony of the Night as unlocks.

2 hours ago, Goemon said:

no way!

which turtles game has the arcade game in it?

TMNT 2 Battle Nexus. 

Though googling to confirm just revealed that the port is missing the original music and some of the voices for some reason. 

Arnold Palmer’s Tournament Golf on the Mega Drive had a version of Fantasy Zone hidden away, unlocked if you took 100 shots on a course. I remember trying this when a was a kid and accidentally putted it with a shot tally somewhere in late 90s 🤦🏻‍♂️

17 minutes ago, elyuw said:

The first Ridge Racer on the PlayStation let you play Galaxian when it was loading.

And didn’t Namco have a patent for letting you play a game on a loading screen, or something? Which I always thought was a bit shitty, as it would have been good for more games to have something similar.

1 hour ago, Qazimod said:

Wasn’t F-Zero AX buried away on GX if you had a cheat device?

Yeah. I haven't got to this stage yet, but the arcade tracks can be unlocked legitimately if you clear all the other cups on Master difficulty. I can't remember if you need to also clear the story mode (itself a stiff challenge) but I don't think so.

1 hour ago, Paulando said:

And didn’t Namco have a patent for letting you play a game on a loading screen, or something? Which I always thought was a bit shitty, as it would have been good for more games to have something similar.

Especially since it had been around on the C64 (and a few Spectrum games too) for years before Namco did it…

10 hours ago, Paulando said:

Even though this had been done a decade earlier on the Spectrum and C64?

EDIT: oh, too late

5 hours ago, bplus said:

Timesplitters 2, had 3 hidden retro games. One called astro landing had some of the best music I've heard in a game!

I just watched a video of it and the music is a great C64-ish track. Mind you, this was one of those gameplay videos where the person has totally mastered it and makes you think what's the point of me doing it now? Solid Thrust-alike.

11 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge II on the Amiga has Dux, an imitation of Sega’s Carnival.

On the Mega Drive it has a hidden version of C64 game P.O.D.

10 hours ago, Vimster said:

I just watched a video of it and the music is a great C64-ish track. Mind you, this was one of those gameplay videos where the person has totally mastered it and makes you think what's the point of me doing it now? Solid Thrust-alike.