Powerslave/Exhumed Remaster

moosegrinder

Well, it'll be interesting to play a revamped version of the best 32-bit console FPS, and see how well it plays with PC controls (and to contrast it with the [inferior] DOS version that already exists).

Also, it had better come with free Death Tank!

Shamefully, I never played this on Saturn. Which is inexplicable when I loved the Duke Nukem and Quake ports, and there was bugger all else to play on the system. 

Never understood why it was called Powerslave in the US. I understand that Exhumed wasn’t available for legal reasons, and that the game engine was called Powerslave (which is weird enough), but why anyone thought that was a sensible game title is lost on me. 

5 minutes ago, Popo said:

Never understood why it was called Powerslave in the US. I understand that Exhumed wasn’t available for legal reasons, and that the game engine was called Powerslave (which is weird enough), but why anyone thought that was a sensible game title is lost on me. 

I believe it's to reference to the Iron Maiden album, with its Egyptian album cover. 

1 hour ago, Popo said:

Shamefully, I never played this on Saturn. Which is inexplicable when I loved the Duke Nukem and Quake ports, and there was bugger all else to play on the system. 

Yes!

I genuinely believe this is the best game on the Saturn. A proto Metroid Prime with an amazing setting, music score and atmosphere. You owe it to yourself to play this.

So pleased when I saw the red scorpions which are from the Saturn version

If you want to learn more about the game check out the excellent df retro overview on why this is such a special game here

7 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Thats fantastic. I had no idea This is Spinal Tap was so true to its inspiration. As for why Iron Maiden made the connection between the phrase ‘power slave’ and ancient Egypt, I guess they had their reasons. 

The game is just so perfect. Bite sized levels make it easy when you’re short on time and never a drag to replay when you die. 

Currently stuck though trying to get a transmitter piece in the Nile Gorge. GI just can’t pull off grenade jumps - might have to come back to this one. 

I'll be honest, and perhaps I'm being unfair here, but every single one of the trailer's before/after wipes left me preferring the 'before' graphics, aside from the frame-rate. Like a lot of early 3D games (particulary 3D sprite-based games) it actually benefits from the lower-resolution, chunky graphics letting your mind fill in the blanks. The higher resolution just makes everything look too stark, clean and, well, plain. I'm not convinced 😕

Hopefully for miserable curmudgeons like me there's an option to just play the game with original resolution sprites and textures, just at a nice solid 60/120 fps.

2 hours ago, Wiper said:

I'll be honest, and perhaps I'm being unfair here, but every single one of the trailer's before/after wipes left me preferring the 'before' graphics, aside from the frame-rate. Like a lot of early 3D games (particulary 3D sprite-based games) it actually benefits from the lower-resolution, chunky graphics letting your mind fill in the blanks. The higher resolution just makes everything look too stark, clean and, well, plain. I'm not convinced 😕

Hopefully for miserable curmudgeons like me there's an option to just play the game with original resolution sprites and textures, just at a nice solid 60/120 fps.

If it's on PC, maybe you can simply set it to a low resolution