Quake “Revitalized Edition” - id & MachineGames

layten

12 hours ago, SeanR said:

Even NiGHTs?

Yes, even fucking NiGHTS.

There's been nothing remotely like it before or since, which I kind of like in a way.

I'd have liked to have seen Treasure take a stab at the formula. They could have really ran with those scoring and looping mechanics, at the expense of potentially arming NiGHTS with homing rockets and a plasma sword...

16 hours ago, outspaced said:

I agree, I was there for Quake on PC in the 90s, and have revisited it many times and am delighted to play on switch. 

I've tried to get on with the sequel a few times but could never be bothered after a level or two.

I'm not sure how I feel about my Steam install being converted to the new version though because I had the nice mods on there already. I haven't researched getting the old version back but I'm sure it's possible.

when you click play on steam, it pops up an option asking what version you want to play!

and i fell this deserves an airing!

I played Quake to death on Saturn, now I have a funny question.

How can I make this more like the Saturn version?

I've turned down the resolution but it doesn't feel right still. Any opinions other settings I should play with?

On 23/08/2021 at 10:34, Colonel Panic said:

Masters of Doom is a great book to read about the early days of id. 

I bought this yesterday thanks to this.

It is excellent so far (Commander Keen in development!) so I can only second your recommendation and thank you for it.

1 hour ago, 5R7 said:

when you click play on steam, it pops up an option asking what version you want to play!

Reminds me of that 'if Ubisoft had made Dark Souls' mock up of a few years ago. Maybe it was EA, I forget, but either way it was a terrible OTT HUD mess.

EDIT: It was Bloodborne:

image.thumb.png.596b75fe6e158d242c8a22b8468992c3.png

3 hours ago, Purin said:

I played Quake to death on Saturn, now I have a funny question.

How can I make this more like the Saturn version?

I've turned down the resolution but it doesn't feel right still. Any opinions other settings I should play with?

Turn model interpolation and high quality models off for those good old, chunky enemies and Ray Harryhausen style animation.

6 hours ago, 5R7 said:

Nothing shows your respect for an all time classic game like smearing hideous filters all over it.

I also want to praise Quake for all its greatness but instead of echoing what's already been mentioned numerous times I feel that I should take some time to talk about the audio design. Starting with the obvious, the soundtrack is bonkers. It's just so, so good and it really is a perfect fit for the 50 shades of rusty brown that they went for. The weapon sounds fantastic and I wouldn't change any of them (even though I actually prefer the sound of the double barrel shotgun in Doom 2). The sound effects are perfect with clanking and screeching metal, grinding rocks and boiling lava all over the place, everything just blends together in a big, coherent whole that's just *chefs kiss*

Interested to know how well this KEX version of the game is going to work with mods and maps packs because there are some bonkers ones still being made

On 25/08/2021 at 08:13, Rayn said:

I also want to praise Quake for all its greatness but instead of echoing what's already been mentioned numerous times I feel that I should take some time to talk about the audio design. Starting with the obvious, the soundtrack is bonkers. It's just so, so good and it really is a perfect fit for the 50 shades of rusty brown that they went for. The weapon sounds fantastic and I wouldn't change any of them (even though I actually prefer the sound of the double barrel shotgun in Doom 2). The sound effects are perfect with clanking and screeching metal, grinding rocks and boiling lava all over the place, everything just blends together in a big, coherent whole that's just *chefs kiss*

"Klaclunk, phoot, raaarw"

• 2 weeks later...

Had a go at the new episode. It looks fantastic, they've added in loads of new textures and upped the variety of the environment. Either I'm rubbish (likely) or it is really hard even on Easy, mainly because there's little ammo about. Every time I tried from the start I was trying to make every bullet count, and I assume that's the design goal. It's not as run-and-gun as normal Quake that's for sure.

Been playing through the content in order - the original game is great but the bosses are bloody awful.

So far the expansions are actually a lot better (finished Armageon, half way through Dissolution)  - far more intense and leave you thinking about your weapon choice and positioning.

Looking forward to trying the two MachineGames penned packs as I love their work on the Wolfenstein reboots

Yeah this has been a huge amount of fun for me and the first time to play Quake with all of its content, my only experience being the excellent but cut down Saturn port. With Bethesda now part of MS I really hope we get xbox ports/remasters of Quake 2 & 3 in the near future.

Also Nightdive studios has really been on a roll recently and has done some amazing work reviving a lot of forgotten gems and making them the definitive versions, Turok 1 & 2, Forsaken, Shadow Man, Quake and System Shock later this year, can’t wait to see what they’ve got planned for the future.