IGNORED

Quake “Revitalized Edition” - id & MachineGames

layten

Quake 2 is also on PC Game Pass, but unfortunately one of the problems with the digital version is that the iconic music is completely absent. Also, playing Quake 2 now, it's clear that in terms of actual gameplay and level design in single player, Quake 2 was vastly, vastly inferior to the original Quake. In some ways I think the multiplayer had some improvements, and it had some better guns, but the speed of everything and real balletic multiplayer combat didn't really get perfected until Quake 3, which was much more spiritually like the original Quake for sheer visceral thrills.

Someone mentioned Quake feeling like a Nintendo game for polish, and you can really feel that in the level design, something that I think Quake 2 just doesn't have to any extent.

I agree, I was there for Quake on PC in the 90s, and have revisited it many times and am delighted to play on switch. 

I've tried to get on with the sequel a few times but could never be bothered after a level or two.

I'm not sure how I feel about my Steam install being converted to the new version though because I had the nice mods on there already. I haven't researched getting the old version back but I'm sure it's possible.

8 hours ago, parkinho said:

I need to get this on my Switch ASAP. Crazy to think it's 25 years old already. I vividly remember this issue of CVG where Quake shared the front cover with Mario 64 and Nights as the 'three greatest games ever'. Great times!

cvgmarioquakenights.png.9d11f34e64dd528d854a223db21e5a4b.png

I remember that! They weren’t wrong either, those games have more than stood the test of time. 

Have you played it recently? The level design is far from basic. Both Doom and Quake have a purity of design in their level layouts that is still impressive.

32 minutes ago, robdood said:

Even Quake? Don't get me wrong, I loved Quake back in the day.  It's hardly as smartly designed as Mario 64, man. 

It’s really, really good - have you played it again with this new release? 

Just now, robdood said:

Quake had great atmosphere but the level / encounter design was pretty basic imo

The use of 3D space in Quake is so good though. The non linear level layouts, verticality, the Doom level design adage that if you can see a space you can reach it taken in to three dimensions.

One of my favourite things in Quake is where you find a secret door or passage that links up what you thought were two entirely separate parts of the level and you get a glimpse of the precision and planning behind making these spaces.

Quake was formed at a time when people were really playing around with the concept of what having a 3D space can mean. It's absolutely got the same design curiosity and feeling of wanting to expand into that space as found in other games of that year, like Mario 64 and Tomb Raider.

Contrast with some of the latest Call of Duty titles, that are not actually in "3D" or really using 3D space, and are often just a series of linear corridors with cutscenes projected onto the "walls". Even something recent and great like Titanfall 2 doesn't have actual level layouts as clever or as intricate.

Just now, Benny said:

Contrast with some of the latest Call of Duty titles, that are not actually in "3D" or really using 3D space, and are often just a series of linear corridors with cutscenes projected onto the "walls". Even something recent and great like Titanfall 2 doesn't have actual level layouts as clever or as intricate.

Spot on Benny, to the point FPS’s now are almost an entirely different genre to what Quake was when it arrived. Each level is its own finely crafted intricate little puzzle, and yet despite being relatively small in size they manage to make them feel vast and cathedral like through the exploration of those spaces. The fact they’re still imprinted on my mind some 25 years later is a testament to their great design. 

If they ever do another Quake I hope they go back to this style, we’ve already got Doom which does include some exploration but is still fairly linear and all about progression. 

I love exploring every nook and cranny and trying to exploit enemies and so on, fantastic game. 

5 minutes ago, Benny said:

The recent Prodeus is the closest I think to the Quake level design philosophy I've seen recently.

And coincidentally it's also on Game Pass.

Is it? I must check it out! 

6 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Is it? I must check it out! 

It's generally a bit more linear like Doom to keep the amount of action up, but there's an enjoyable level of twisting paths and secrets.

50 minutes ago, Benny said:

Quake was formed at a time when people were really playing around with the concept of what having a 3D space can mean. It's absolutely got the same design curiosity and feeling of wanting to expand into that space as found in other games of that year, like Mario 64 and Tomb Raider.

47 minutes ago, Benny said:

37 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Spot on Benny, to the point FPS’s now are almost an entirely different genre to what Quake was when it arrived. Each level is its own finely crafted intricate little puzzle, and yet despite being relatively small in size they manage to make them feel vast and cathedral like through the exploration of those spaces. The fact they’re still imprinted on my mind some 25 years later is a testament to their great design. 

If they ever do another Quake I hope they go back to this style, we’ve already got Doom which does include some exploration but is still fairly linear and all about progression. 

I love exploring every nook and cranny and trying to exploit enemies and so on, fantastic game. 

Yes, spot on. The use of 3D space in the official Quake maps - and the best of the custom ones - was light years ahead of its time, and is still light years ahead of FPS games which owe their technology to Quake. They're a perfect balance of geometry that folds in and over itself while still maintaining clear landmarks so that you never actually get lost, just feel unsettled by your environment and like you're constantly exploring.

I honestly don't think the level design in any game has captured my imagination in the same way since. Although the first time I watched a Let's Play of Dark Souls I remember immediately thinking "Oh right, it's Quake".

Absolutely. The interconnected layouts, enemy placement, and tricks and traps designed to catch the player out have really similar vibes to Dark Souls, despite everything else about the games being different.

4 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Quake is more playable than Mario 64 in 2021 because you aren't wrestling with a terrible camera like you are in Mario.

Lets not start with the erupting volcano takes. Mario 64's camera has dated a bit but the game is just as playable today as it ever was. And people keep trying to bring up this idea that the camera is actually "bad" now, when the actual amount of times it doesn't quite work in the game are still rare.

Incidentally, I never played much Quake back in the day, and Quake 2 only at a rich PC owning friends house so I’m coming to this from a POV where MY Quake is Q3A. 

And still, I’m finding Quake to be a better single player experience than most FPS. Sure, the gunplay is basic, but there’s a purity to the game and the level sizes are perfect!

On 23/08/2021 at 07:26, Stanley said:

I can’t believe Quake is 25 years old, that’s just crazy, and playing it over the weekend only reinforces what I’ve always thought, that it’s just a brilliant, brilliant videogame. 

I remember reading an interview with Carmack, Romero et al, and one of the things they said (and this might have been during the Doom days, or at least pre-Quake) was that they really admired Nintendo and tried to balance and polish their games like Nintendo’s in terms of control, interface etc. and I can really feel that in Quake, the movement is lovely with just that perfect amount of inertia, and everything is pure in its design, secret areas in levels, no reloading weapons or extraneous ‘stuff’ added that might get in the way of the gameplay. There is just no fat anywhere - no story, no stats, no cutscenes just a couple of clicks and you’re straight in there playing and you are in control 100% of the time - and this thing is fast.

It also really reminds me of Dark Souls, I guess it’s the knights, but also the atmosphere and the sound design, and the multifaceted, intertwining levels too of course. 

When I think back to the money me and @Dave White spent back in the day just to play this, and we didn’t have super well paid jobs back then, we just had to have it no question, it makes me really appreciative of just being able to boot it up now and play such a great version so easily and relatively cheaply. 

This post deserves two pos's as it is a perfect summary of the greatness of Quake but, sadly, the law only allows me to give one pos per post.

That the straightforward, relatively basic but incredibly rewarding, gameplay loop of shoot, kill, explore remains brilliant 25 years later is testament alone as to how damn well crafted everything about it was. It also reminds me of what a disaster Doom Eternal was when compared to the brilliant Doom 2016 - all of the stupid bells and whistles and needless added 'depth' added to the gameplay just highlighted the visceral purity of the original Doom games and the reboot. Less is very much more in some cases.

I've been slightly spoiled by the amazing lighting of the Quake 2 RTX update but Quake, despite being generations behind technically, still has such a unique and alien atmosphere. I would still very much like an RTX edition though.