IGNORED

GTA Remastered Trilogy (GTA3/San Andreas/Vice City) - ah sh*t, here we go again

SMD

Or indeed take the short route and spend the money on buying their work.

Although of course do not underestimate the difficulty of backporting PC modding work to PS/Xbox and especially Switch.  The thing about the PC modders is they're probably not giving a shit about system requirements.

8 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

FERCyZZXMAgaDKR?format=jpg&name=small

Are we still defending R* on this then? I mean, I get that technically they have to defend their IP and assets and terms and all that but come on. If you're going to shut shit down because it's going to take money from your 'remasters' at least put SOME effort in.

Or hire the modders.

The Wiggly Biggly Car is incredible. I particularly like the way that the growth isn't that obvious at first and then suddenly you realise the car is absolutely massive. And then it turns round to reveal its completely fucked-up ovoid wheels, with perfect comic timing. 

1 hour ago, SozzlyJoe said:

That DF video really made me realise so much of what I loved about the PS2 version was the deeply grungy hazy neon atmosphere of the whole place. Even without the bugs, the new one looks so antiseptic!

This seems a disappointingly common feature of remasters. I think it was @Mr. Gerbik earlier in the thread who noted the habit of blindly stripping out things like fogging and the like under the assumption that they're always a technical problem, without any consideration for the artistic reasons for including it. Silent Hill 2's remaster being the most obvious culprit in this regard.

I note that virtually every port of GTA San Andreas lost the orange haze that was present in the PS2 original. The existence of the fog itself may well have been due to technical limitations, but the resulting atmosphere enchanced the feeling of being there in Los Santos under the baking sun. Subsequent ports that dialled back the heaviness of the effect lost a little as a result.

Bang on, and that's why I abhor the argument people make about "just buying ROMs".

I appreciate that a really well done remaster is possible (looking at you, M2), but in the many occasions where the result is a halfhearted effort that bastardises the original game, I'd much rather just have a ROM in a decent emulator, thank you very much. The continuing and legitimate availability of old games on modern hardware is what the industry needs, not destructive, "that'll do" efforts, and I feel that negatively slamming ROM dump ports may push publishers towards the sort of tinkering that can often do more harm than good.

By all means though, get that emulator working well.

13 hours ago, pastry said:

It good to hear DF mentioning how the textures don't gel with the original geometry - this stuff never works for me, whether it's a HD texture pack for Quake or even worse something like Mario 64 – it never feels right.

So I've largely avoided this thread, other than glimpsing some initial reactions, until I got to play SA myself. I rinsed GT3 (and 1/2/London, back in the day) but bounced early off Vice City and never got to SA. Glad SA is the one that ended up on Game Pass. 

To me, on the humble XB1, SA feels exactly like firing up a really old game on a brand new PC and finding the old visuals look really crisp and "wrong", but hey now it works at a decent frame rate. Totally appreciate it's a PS2 era game and is going to look weird now, but what has been improved doesn't mesh at all with what you can't improve, or perhaps what they've botched improving. Hard to describe, I think you've done it better in the quote there.

In terms of the game mechanics, I have to eat? Not sure where that mechanic was lost, don't remember it in GTA V (I didn't get around to 4). Do find it interesting that a black guy spray painting over gang logos immediately causes the cops to turn up en masse and shoot him (me) to death. Nice metaphor for 90s LA, whether they were going for that or not. 

Is there a good game buried beneath the jarring visuals? I've never stopped to figure out if R* are making a social commentary or just haming up stereotypes to make a buck.

The thing is, appalling though every other aspect of this is, I could not play 3,VC,SA with the original controls.

So even while I'm going down the street with it raining inside my car as leaves float in mid-air nearby and everyone looks like they were contracted out to Jim'll paint it, it's STILL the only way I'm going to play through them.

1 hour ago, Fry Crayola said:

Bang on, and that's why I abhor the argument people make about "just buying ROMs".

I appreciate that a really well done remaster is possible (looking at you, M2), but in the many occasions where the result is a halfhearted effort that bastardises the original game, I'd much rather just have a ROM in a decent emulator, thank you very much. The continuing and legitimate availability of old games on modern hardware is what the industry needs, not destructive, "that'll do" efforts, and I feel that negatively slamming ROM dump ports may push publishers towards the sort of tinkering that can often do more harm than good.

By all means though, get that emulator working well.

Exactly. Funny enough they even did exactly this. Look at this thing that has gone down the memory hole, the PS2 on PS4 upscaled emulation:

Looks perfectly authentic. But no updated controls and mission skip, of course.

This got released with minimal fanfare and no backlash, as people knew exactly what they were getting.

1 hour ago, TehStu said:

In terms of the game mechanics, I have to eat? Not sure where that mechanic was lost, don't remember it in GTA V (I didn't get around to 4)

That was San Andreas only. It had a light RPG element where you could get fat, pack on muscle, and various other things. While it was fun to be able to customise CJ over the course of the game, maintaining what you had ended up busywork.

That Digital Foundry vid really brings home how much they've botched the art direction in this. I could overlook some frame drops and glitches, but not the horrible job they've done with that. It's like a colourised film noir or one of those awful remasters of classic albums we got in the 00s and 10s that compress the sound to hell and destroy any dynamic range. 

People liked the colourised version of night of the living dead as well - and the 30th anniversary version where someone added “new footage”

and the shot for shot remake of psycho.

and predators

and evil dead

etc

“shitty” remasters are nothing new. Some people like them - and more power to them.

in film forums the popular refrain is that people can choose and no one has destroyed the originals*. The issue I have here is that rockstar have made an attempt at restricting access to the originals. That is unforgivable for an industry that wants to be taken seriously.

I have no issue with attempts at remasters as long as the originals still exist.

* and yes I know Lucas has restricted access to the pre remastered original trilogy and his behaviour is as shitty as rockstars

The Star Wars situation is a lot more common with games, simply because it's much more work to transfer software from platform to platform. The game usually isn't maliciously removed from sale, but it becomes more inconvenient to play as time goes on, so the remaster has more of a supplanting effect through convenience.