Carrier Command 2 (shouldn't that be 4?)

artz

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1489630/Carrier_Command_2/

Another version of Carrier Command has been released on Steam, confusingly titled Carrier Command 2. It's the fourth version by my reckoning after Hostile Waters and Gaia Mission.

The graphics are gorgeous flat 3d, apparently using the Stormworks Search and Rescue engine. There seems to be very low GPU requirements as a result.

The user interface is based on the principle of a bridge simulator, you have to run between stations to access different functionality which seems to make things quite hectic if you're the only commander.

There is multiplayer support, up to 16 per team, but there seems to only be things worth doing for about five crew per carrier. There's no real campaign, just the default skirmish mode against the AI carrier.

It is designed to be VR friendly but it seems to have a lot of room for improvement here.

It's pricier than I imagined at £33, and I've seen a few bugs (helicopters seem to crash a lot on landing and can't use their cannons, firing two missiles at once will result in them colliding and blowing up, and of course the inevitable pathfinding issues) but they are releasing patches already.

Anyway, I feel like getting it, if only for closure after never completing the original.

carrier-command-2-review-8.jpg

ss_896f88b8df8e84d8e4aa2d83375898222fda0

I bought this based on the demo and the fact I loved the original.

It's a little rough - had a couple of crashes, but it's so atmospheric. The music is fantastic, and watching my drone circle round and land from the bridge was exactly how my much younger self wished it was on the Amiga.

I suspect it'll get too complicated for me and I'll run out of patience as I did with Stormworks, but so far so good. 

Also, it was £26 ish I think, which included the pancake and VR versions of the game and soundtrack. Lots of people moaning in the steam forum about how overpriced it is, but I'm of the view that game development is hard and it's a fair price in my book.

45 minutes ago, gone fishin' said:

It does look really good, kind of like how you would have imagined good 3D graphics to look back in 1988. 

Anecdote time.

I had an Amstrad PC1640 when this came out. It had a CGA graphics card but, like the processor doing (IIRC) 8mhz instead of vanilla 4.77mhz IBM PC, the CGA had a 64k EGA mode, primarily for doing the Gem desktop I assume. I twigged that by running a program which ran before Gem loaded (display.exe!) it would put the graphics card in EGA mode AND if the game itself worked with only 64k of graphics memory, I could get 320x200 in 16 colors. This game was literally the only one I owned which did this. What a revelation! It was like suddenly having an Amiga, except it also had the raw grunt to actually move this game around smoothly.

I think this is why I love this style so much in modern indie games, but with new lighting effects and all the other jazz we get now.

That looks lovely, I was fascinated by early 3D games as a kid and Carrier Command was one I never had the chance to play much. 
Can we get a Midwinter remaster next using the same engine?!

I would kill for that. It's the perfect candidate for a remake like this, and adding a diegetic interface would present less of the problem of overwhelming a single player that CC2 faces thanks to its pacing and "slices of time" gameplay.

43 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

two Amigas linked by serial cable.

Buying a massive telephone extension cable, chopping the ends off and soldering rs232 connectors either end was like a rite of passage for early multi-player.

2 hours ago, TehStu said:

Buying a massive telephone extension cable, chopping the ends off and soldering rs232 connectors either end was like a rite of passage for early multi-player.

Yup, null modem.. quite a few Stuntcar Racer sessions were had round mine using that.

See also soldering your own external floppy drive adapter for 'backups'

4 hours ago, roobarb said:

Yup, null modem.. quite a few Stuntcar Racer sessions were had round mine using that.

Getting 23 pin D-type connectors was pretty tricky as I recall. 

5 hours ago, roobarb said:

Pre internet! When you actually had to research stuff.

1 hour ago, Vespa Alex said:

Getting 23 pin D-type connectors was pretty tricky as I recall. 

25 pin was easy (just nick a printer cable from school - er, apparently) and butcher two pins off it.