JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - This thread must be the work of an enemy「STAND」

Harsin

• 1 month later...

So what are people's thoughts on Stone Ocean ? It's shaping up to be my favourite story arc, second only to the seminal Stardust Crusaders.

After Golden Wind I thought the formula was getting a bit stale, but the number of exciting characters and stands in the 6th story arc has got me really hooked again.

I like Stone Ocean. JJBA has always had an interesting stance on machismo and masculinity, so it almost makes perfect sense that it should have a series set in a women's prison.

After Golden Wind I appreciate the smaller, more focused cast, and the battles are amongst some of the most interesting so far. JAIL HOUSE LOCK was a particular stand out, even if the resolution to that conflict was ridiculously convoluted.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love this show. Only about halfway into Stone Ocean and you've got 

Spoiler

invisible zombies (categorically NOT ghosts) and Limp Biskit is the name of a Stand.

I spent an hour the other day scrolling through the list of music references on Wikipedia.

How long until the next run after SO is done?

That ending was way more epic than I was expecting!

Spoiler

Though I have to admit I don't think the conclusion was quite up to the standard set by previous arcs. I felt like the send off was a bit too low key for certain characters and the final couple of episodes just felt way too abrupt to be particularly satisfying.

I actually thought the way Pucchi was finally defeated was actually a bit lame too and didn't feel that creative. Stardust Crusaders will always be the high bar for that stuff. Also I was honestly disappointed that it was Emporio and a borrowed ability rather than Jolene at the end too. I dunno, just felt a bit rushed. Pretty good ending after though, but it really needed more before that I think as it felt like it kind of left you hanging rather than earning a farewell. Good stuff overall though.

2 hours ago, Spacehost said:

Do I need to subscribe to Crunchyroll to see Diamond Is Unbreakable and Golden Wing in the UK or do I need to use methods some would find unsavoury to get them in the UK?

I watched them both on Crunchyroll, assuming they are still on there. Didn't need a subscription.

• 2 weeks later...

i just figured out that Netflix have done that annoying thing where they mislabel and have missing seasons. I think someone said season 4-6 are probably better to go with if I’m struggling with 3 but I’m fairly determined to suffer my way through S3 and I think I’ve actually started to enjoy it. Watched Polnareff vs Centrefold and Hol Horse yesterday and it was bretty gud. 

It's my least favourite arc, but I do like Jolene but I really dislike her crew she has with her with the exception of FF. The ending just felt rushed too but I did enjoy it regardless but it's not on par with the previous arcs. Still worth watching.

Oh god, I was not ready for the laid-back, slice-of-life late 90s small town adventure of Diamond is Unbreakable.

Spoiler

The Stand with the humidity powers so the user snuck in and put loads of pots on to boil.

The manga artist who gets the shit kicked out of him because of hair-insult induced spontaneous blindness.

The most insane Italian restaurant based cooking anime I have ever experienced.

Not one but two rats with Stand powers based around being crack shot artillery marksmen.

I’m never going to psychologically recover from this.

Stands can hurt humans, right?

I don't get why quite a lot of these fights can't just be ended by them using their stand to kill the user.

Like:

Spoiler

Polnareff and Kakyoin being cut up by Centrefold's Emperor stand, unable to hurt it, while the stand user is in plain sight. Shouldn't they have just used Silver Chariot to put his sword through Centrefold's skull?

Also these dummies seem to get attacked daily by Stands but still spend time wondering if the weird stuff could possibly be a stand.

I think the show surprisingly actually addresses that at some point:

Spoiler

Stands are activated by users often essentially on reflex. So if you try to just kill the user it often means their Stand reflexively snaps back to them and counters without thinking, which often ends up deadlier to the attacker. But it's also used sometimes by attackers to force enemy Stands to switch back to close to them on purpose.

At least, that's what I got the impression on going from memory.

As for the characters always wondering if weird shit is a Stand despite literally everything, that's one of the great dumb joys of the show for me. And it even plays on that sometimes.

• 1 month later...

I’m going to start going around going “ring ring ring ring” and answering random items.

Golden Wind is pretty good isn’t it? I especially love how transparently obvious the replacement Stand names are.

The absolute fucking hubris (Golden Wind)

Spoiler

Who puts a Freaky Friday in the run-up to a finale! :lol: All the Polnaroff, magic ghost weirdness and we’re going to do a body-swap.

Never change JoJo.