Games with little or story or tutorial. Pick up and play.

dizogg

Trying to find something to play that you basically switch on and get right into from

the first moment. No intro cutscenes, no long tutorial portion, just straight enjoyable gameplay. 

So many games I get bored of before they even get going. Maybe I have ADHD. But there must be plenty of stuff like this, maybe indie titles?

I’ve been playing Fall Guys a lot because I know I can just switch my PS5 on and play it for 30 mins with no other bullshit.

I can't say games without story appeal to me, so there will totally be many suggestions that are more suitable than these, but:

Dead Cells - there is a story but it's so light touch you can just ignore it altogether, and the super tight gameplay and proc-gen levels seem like the sort of thing you may be after?

Hades - there's a big story here, but again you can ignore it if you want, and it's totally built around you dying and replaying. Tutorial is very short, as I recall.

Meat Boy?

N+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ (or however many +s it has these days)?

Returnal, since you have a PS5? Again there's a story (I believe) but it's assumed you're going to die often and start a new run, so it's not like it's a linear GTA style story.

Spelunky?

Destiny 2.

You're shooting guns within minutes and it's still the best fps combat out there, because it's Bungie. And I mean proper Bungie, not that skimmed UHT milk version that calls themselves 343i.

You can ignore all the story. There are simple daily bounties and patrols you can do.

45 minutes ago, Thor said:

Destiny 2.

You're shooting guns within minutes and it's still the best fps combat out there, because it's Bungie. And I mean proper Bungie, not that skimmed UHT milk version that calls themselves 343i.

You can ignore all the story. There are simple daily bounties and patrols you can do.

Yeah, only Halo 5 Arena mode pisses on Destiny PVP, and everything else. 

18 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Destiny 2 might be the most impenetrable mainstream game of the last 20 years. I don't think you can recommend it to someone looking for something easy to get into.

It's not even that quick to start, either. 

Agreed. When I tried to play it even a few years ago it was the complete opposite of pick-up-and-play.

Also: MS flight sim was mentioned above. It's really not very easy to start if you don't do the tutorial first. Also the install takes fucking ages.

20 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Destiny 2 might be the most impenetrable mainstream game of the last 20 years. I don't think you can recommend it to someone looking for something easy to get into.

It's not even that quick to start, either. 

I thought that.

51 minutes ago, Rayn said:

Stardew Valley

Animal Crossing New Horizon

Dead Cells

Minecraft

7 Days to Die

Subnautica

Streets of Rage 4

Omno

MS Flight Sim

I wouldn’t recommend Animal Crossing. It takes a good two weeks to finally get going.

If the main criteria is instantly in with no bullshit, then loads of those listed really don't fit the bill. You need:

Streets of Rage 4

Huntdown

Slay the Spire

Three of the absolute top tier games of the last decade. And quick to install, quick to load, quick to be playing.

Hades is a masterpiece, but even that maybe has a little more "bullshit" than can fit in this criteria.

Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal are streling examples of letting you get blasting enemies in the face with a minimum of lead in. Actually, quite a few FPS games probably fall into this category. Apex Legends... though I think maybe the tutorial's mandatory (because it's a team game you need to know at least a few basics), after that you're usually in a game in seconds.

Virtua Fighter 5 US's remarkably quick to get you into matches, though that's an an arcade fighter so probably doesn't count.