IGNORED

Zool Remake

deKay

The natural conclusion of all these shitty platformers getting a remake, is Shitty Smash Bros. All your unknown favourites slugging it out on backgrounds sponsored by food, beverage, and candy sponsors.

Who knows, maybe it'll be good? It's not like there's anything really worth keeping in the original, so it's effectively a blank slate with a vague nineties vibe to it. These things sometimes turn out well - the PS4 remake of Shadow of the Beast was surprisingly good, I thought.

1 minute ago, K said:

Who knows, maybe it'll be good? It's not like there's anything really worth keeping in the original, so it's effectively a blank slate with a vague nineties vibe to it. These things sometimes turn out well - the PS4 remake of Shadow of the Beast was surprisingly good, I thought.

Yeah, the original was completely shit but they have a blank slate here. The trailer doesn't look too bad.

I’ve got no attachment to Zool, positive or otherwise, but I don’t think it’s really relevant - studios have taken forgettable names from yesteryear and built fun experiences from them with the most tangential references (I’m quite fond of the 2012 Giana Sisters game myself :blush: )

And the Sumo Academy association is promising, I guess. We’ll see.

34 minutes ago, K said:

cause. I wonder what young devs, who were probably born well after Zool was released, would do with the game given that they're standing on the shoulders of 25+ years of game development since then.

They zoom it out and make it 16:9.

29 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Yeah, the original was completely shit but they have a blank slate here. The trailer doesn't look too bad.

Perhaps I'm being too literal but the redimensioned bit made me assume the remake would be 3D. Not that I want a 3D Zool you understand, or, for that matter, a 2D Zool or any other kind of Zool.

Just now, Marlew said:

Could do with a Sensi port. Don't understand why it doesn't happen every gen. 

Man, Sensible and Kick Off. Surely there's a gap in the market for that sort of pixel art retro indie thing right now.

Just now, Marlew said:

Maybe Skidmarks?

In the style of Absolute Drift, which I adore.

fry.gif

1 hour ago, K said:

It says in the small print that it's developed by Sumo Digital Academy, which seems to be a kind of training / mentoring scheme for young game developers. A news story in the NME of all places gives a bit more info:

https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/1990s-gaming-mascot-zool-to-return-in-zool-redimensioned-3010937

So it's being developed by the interns at Sumo Digital, with support from the original developers of Zool. Half the revenue from the game will go back into the academy to support more trainee devs. So while I'm not that enthused about a remake of Zool given that the original game had very little going for it other than being sponsored by a sweet company, this is actually quite an interesting prospect, and a good cause. I wonder what young devs, who were probably born well after Zool was released, would do with the game given that they're standing on the shoulders of 25+ years of game development since then.

In all seriousness, this is actually brilliant and we should do more of this sort of thing. I'm more than happy to support Sumo doing this sort of thing. 

1 hour ago, Sixkiller said:

Very strange.

This morning I saw a tweet about games that came out when you were 13.  I thought of Zool, as I was an Amiga kid so thought "surely that's what I was playing", but couldn't find it on a list of games from 1993.

So I searched, found it was a 1992 release, and then thought "wonder if there's any way to play it these days?".  30 seconds later it was loaded in browser and I was playing it thinking "wow, this is really shit, how did I not realise that when I was young?"

Fast forward to 5.30pm and I find out the thing is getting a fucking remake.  Feels like a glitch in the Matrix.

See, Zool was one of the first games that made me realise how crooked and unreliable games magazines were. Zool was universally praised as a “console beater” by the Amiga press, yet anyone who had played any b-tier Japanese platform game on the Mega Drive or Super NES would’ve realised how laughably untrue that was. At the end of the day, the games press have always just been there to pump out advertorial and tell consumers what they want to hear about a hyped product, whether true or not.