What's Your Favourite Underworld Track?

acidbearboy

So many to choose from (and so many versions of certain tracks, too) but I was listening to Pearl's Girl [Tin There] this morning and it has to be one of the greatest pieces of electronic music of the 90s. Layers upon layers of sound and a relentless driving rhythm, all combining beautifully to create a rush of energy and adrenaline, followed by a sweet come down. To the best of my knowledge there are three versions available, the 5 minute edit found on the official Wipeout 2097 soundtrack CD, the 6 minute edit found on the Wipeout 2097 PS1 game disc and the original 8 minute version from the Pearl's Girl singles/EP's (also now included on the super deluxe reissue of Second Toughest in the Infants). I am most familiar with the original, but listening to the shorter versions on Youtube - I do quite like the 6 minute 2097 version with its much longer beatless outro. 

17 hours ago, Stanley said:

Two Months Off, mixes perfectly into the Bicep edit of In Yer Face by 808 State too :)

Prefer the shorter radio edit on this one. Apart from the funky percussion outro on the full length. Is that mix into Bicep one of your own or can I check it out in a particular mix?

I think Jumbo is the one for me. It ticks all the boxes of a great Underworld track. Super simple but layers and layers of complexity. Saying that, I've grown to really love Twist too which didn't grab me at all at that time. That feels like it was way ahead of its time on reflection. 

30 minutes ago, acidbearboy said:

Prefer the shorter radio edit on this one. Apart from the funky percussion outro on the full length. Is that mix into Bicep one of your own or can I check it out in a particular mix?

I just love the track so the longer it goes on the better for me, I haven’t got a mix I could (willingly!) share, but it’s something I often mess about with - they’re very similar in tone and just work very well together. 

Here’s the track I’m referring to, for reference.

Spoilt for choice during the Emerson years. I settled on this one, because its part of the same family of tracks such as Daft Punk's "Rollin' and Scratchin'" + "Burnin'" and the 1-2 punch of the Chemical Brothers "It doesn't matter/Don't stop the rock" - whereby when I play it in the house there is some either audible complaint during it, or relief expressed that it has finally finished :)

I enjoy the live version too, the video clip especially, probably taken just on the cusp of the gig going experience about to flip into moronic smartphone usage at all stages of the performance.  

• 5 weeks later...

Mine has been and always will be Banstyle / Sappys Curry. I bought Second Toughest in the Infants purely because it was a special edition with a 2nd CD with a full version of Born Slippy .NUXX and Rez (which is what I wanted, this was before I really knew Underworld). However once I listened to the album proper I was hooked.

Oh and for @englishbob here's a snippet of Moaner at the Roundhouse in Oct 2007, recorded on my little Canon IXUS, won the energy that night was insane!