Jungle Cruise - Family Blockbuster fun

yakumo

Really enjoyed this movie! It felt like a great homage to Adventure comedy movies like The Mummy and Romancing the Stone. There used to be tons of adventure comedies like Jungle cruise, but for whatever reason they are few and far between now. It was nice to see the genre brought back in this film.

Definitely not a perfect film, but it's a really fun time and will make for a fun rewatch. Shout out to Jesse Plemons he knew exactly the right energy to bring to the role and was super fun in every scene he was in.

Yeah I enjoyed it too, it's a fun film.  Very early 2000s, everybody's hamming it up at just the right level, and it was really refreshing that the action was all fairly low-key.

They could have trimmed quite a lot of fat from it and made it a much tighter 90 minute film, but it's still very watchable.

Surprisingly I thought Jack Whitehall was very good in it. He fills the John Hannah role really well.

As others have said it’s a mix of The Mummy, pirates and Indiana Jones but can’t hold a candle to any of them.  There’s lots of references to the ride which are lost on me. Enjoyable but forgettable. 

spoilers

Spoiler

I wish they’d done something different with the monster baddies..barely used and if they had been excised it wouldn’t really have made much of a difference.

I enjoyed this but like others say, it's a little too long and could have maybe done with some editing.

Although i think i prefer the mummy, i reckon this will be good to watch again further down the line. 

My family enjoyed this but it is so very derivative and riffs on far better movies. Also, most of the time the Rock just seemed fairly bored.

The CGI badguys were woefully underused and were far more interesting than budget Matt Damon hamming it up. The whole film just lacked any real threat or danger.

Jack Whitehall's character could have been removed and it wouldn't have made a difference. Same for Paul Giamatti. In fact, 90% of the cast could have been taken out and it would have had zero impact on the plot.

Yeah, this was anaemic but perfect family entertainment. I agree about Paul Giamatti. He's a fantastic actor but they could have shaved 10 minutes off the film with him out and it would have been better for it.

8 hours ago, g wings said:

Hmm, the kids really enjoyed it but it needed to be 30 minutes shorter.

Some of the effects work was ropey too, some dodgy green screen and compositing.  

Yeah I had to take my niece and her friends to see it, and they loved it. Also for parents this is a 12A too.

4 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Same for Paul Giamatti

3 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

I agree about Paul Giamatti. He's a fantastic actor but they could have shaved 10 minutes off the film with him out and it would have been better for it.

Paul Giamatti's accent is the highlight of the film!

I agree that it could have been edited better, felt a little too long and there were bits in the middle that were just tacked together and the story didn't feel like it flowed correctly. 

Having said that, we all enjoyed it for what it was - a Sunday afternoon family film. I have zero interest in a second watch though. 

F9, Tomorrow's War and Justice League were all utter shit. Haven't seen The Suicide Squad yet.

And Justice League wasn't this year, was it? Unless you're talking about the Snyder Cut, I guess. Is it actually good then? It'd need to be about a hundred times better than the original cut just to be watchable.

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Any scary bits in this? My daughter is 7, 8 in a couple of months. 

There’s a fair bit of violence in it without showing any detail, and some bits with snakes coming out of faces etc but generally it’s good, rosie-cheeked fun.

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Any scary bits in this? My daughter is 7, 8 in a couple of months. 

I think she'll be fine, my daughter is 7 (8 in couple of months too) and she'd watched it a couple times now. TBH, my soon to be 5 years old was fine with it. I guess only you know if she'll be ok with it or not. It's not up there with The Mummy, maybe on Pirates of the Carribean level of spooky.

On 01/08/2021 at 12:18, g wings said:

Some of the effects work was ropey too, some dodgy green screen and compositing.  

It’s so obvious that for a while I genuinely wondered if it was a deliberate stylistic choice. 

• 3 weeks later...

Saw this today 

Perfect family blockbuster with excellent chemistry between the 2 leads.

Only minus’s were  poor editing and a lacklustre score ( Apart from that Metallica bit that Doctor Shark liked )

4/5