IGNORED

Stray: The Cyberpunk Cat

gospvg

2 hours ago, Eighthours said:

Not enough ‘this plays/feels different to normal third person games because you’re a cat’ for me

I agree with this. Scratching a sofa to shreds is cute, but there was some scope here for interesting environmental puzzles that encourage you to think more like a cat when you, for example, can’t get through a closed door designed for bipeds. 

Ultimately it’s not that game, but maybe someone will feel inspired to create it later. 

I didn't really have any expectations going into this. I'd seen the trailers, but they didn't she'd too much light on what you actually did in the game. In the end I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of variety. 

I was a little disappointed in the actual story though, which was a bit slight and rather predictable. The atmosphere made up for it though.

Overall I'm glad I played it, but it didn't blow me away. I hope it gets a sequel though as it feels like more could have been done with the concept.

To me, Stray is for video games what Limited Edition menues at fast food chains are like. They introduce a fancy new burger, you're exited to try it and really like it while consuming but ends up more or less forgotten a couple of weeks later. 

While I loved playing through Stray there was little to tempt me going back for another playthrough. I actually bought it and I'm happy I supported it by doing so as I always love it when someone tries to do something different. For me, however, the game wasn't different enough, I was hoping they'd given us more gameplay options and in the end I didn't feel the game was using the feline protagonist to its full potential. 

What I do think is great about Stray, however, is that family members who usually don't play video games have been all over this in my house. My wife loves it and even my mother-in-law thought it was great. This is, in my humble opinion, an indication that we don't have as much diversity in video games as we should've. When my mother-in-law was playing it I asked why she was tempted to try this game in particular and she said that she doesn't like sports, she doesn't like cars and she doesn't like guns. 
The last game she played and enjoyed was Animal Crossing: New Horizon, another game that goes against the norm, so I applaud devs and publishers who dare do something different. 

Overall, Stray is not GOTY material for me but I'm really happy it's a thing and I would recommend it to anyone, particularly to those who doesn't play a lot of video games. 

On 30/07/2022 at 15:44, Broker said:

Just finished this. I thought it was wonderful, beautiful and charming. I liked pretty much everything about it. Love seeing a smaller, more experimental game get attention and though it’s clearly not been exactly what people were expecting, I loved every second of it. 

Finished it too and I fully agree. Great, atmospheric little game. Took me less than 4 hours.

Finished this today, a solid 8 for me. Lovely indie game, not sure I'd want a full length title like this but wouldn't mind a spiritual sequel that builds on these foundations. Probably beyond an indie studio but what they've done is still pretty impressive.

22 minutes ago, robdood said:

The reactions this game has received (and this isn't a personal dig at you specifically here dude) baffle me. 

Imagine you'd poured your life energy into making a piece of art and then people are so easily dismissive and downright mean about it! 

It happens with everything, but the way people talk about Stray in particular has really stuck out to me. 

It feels weird. And makes me think a lot about life in general. Are people not just able to accept things for how they are? Do we have to be so critical of everything all the time? Could we find more joy in just being present with things and experiencing them as they come? 

Hmm. 

This seems an odd comment to react to. It says very much that they enjoyed it whilst consuming it. And recommends it to others.

To be frank if you make a game you expect people to comment and review it right? Would you rather no one said anything? Would you rather they only said very nice things and the concept didn't maybe get taken and improved in the future. Or that the dev themselves can think about their next game (or not given the same repeated QoL shit we see missing from many games you'd expect from anyone playing games and then making them).

Having said that I think a game like Stray does struggle a bit in terms of how people comment on it. Many comments end up sounding like a dig at the idea as opposed to the execution. Like the game is being reviewed against a fictional concept for the game and not what it actually is.

It's different from most games. It maybe didn't do a good job of setting expectations at some points of its development (it's not the cat-forming adventure game I assumed it was from early trailers and having not watched any properly since). It's pretty. It has the burdon of being a console exclusive which often seems to breed a level of unreasonable expectation.

50 minutes ago, robdood said:

The reactions this game has received (and this isn't a personal dig at you specifically here dude) baffle me. 

Imagine you'd poured your life energy into making a piece of art and then people are so easily dismissive and downright mean about it! 

It happens with everything, but the way people talk about Stray in particular has really stuck out to me. 

It feels weird. And makes me think a lot about life in general. Are people not just able to accept things for how they are? Do we have to be so critical of everything all the time? Could we find more joy in just being present with things and experiencing them as they come? 

Hmm. 

Here, here! Yes! 

My “favourite” response from these miserablists when confronted with a rebuttal or any heated response is “imagine getting annoyed at an opinion?!” while they then continue spouting their bad-taste opinion like a foul fart in the room, oblivious that others aren’t going to be completely magnanimous to it. 

24 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

This seems an odd comment to react to. It says very much that they enjoyed it whilst consuming it. And recommends it to others.

To be frank if you make a game you expect people to comment and review it right? Would you rather no one said anything? Would you rather they only said very nice things and the concept didn't maybe get taken and improved in the future. Or that the dev themselves can think about their next game (or not given the same repeated QoL shit we see missing from many games you'd expect from anyone playing games and then making them).

Having said that I think a game like Stray does struggle a bit in terms of how people comment on it. Many comments end up sounding like a dig at the idea as opposed to the execution. Like the game is being reviewed against a fictional concept for the game and not what it actually is.

It's different from most games. It maybe didn't do a good job of setting expectations at some points of its development (it's not the cat-forming adventure game I assumed it was from early trailers and having not watched any properly since). It's pretty. It has the burdon of being a console exclusive which often seems to breed a level of unreasonable expectation.

Oh for sure! And I'm just as guilty of it. It's more of a philosophical musing than anything. 

But it's an interesting topic to me, and isn't just about games, it's about, well, everything

Just late on a Sunday and I'm feeling like getting deep man. 

But too tired and bed is calling, ha. 

9 hours ago, robdood said:

Hmm. 

I actually do understand your view on this and I'm equally baffled almost every day when reading comments, feedback or critique of games, movies, music or books that I love. 

The thing is, different games are designed to cater for different audiences. I'm usually most fond of big games set in an open world which lets you both enjoy a main story, several shorter stories through side quests and exploration at your own leisure.

Examples of such games include BotW, Skyrim, Elden Ring and The Witcher 3. Those games are my jam, but in every discussion thread for each respective game there are several posters who admits these games are not for them, they are too slow, they lack direction (for them), they are padded out or lacks something. Such comments baffle me personally as these games give me exactly what I'm afer in a video game but this simply means that these games are not for them, they usually find joy in games that I don't play a lot. 

15 minutes ago, Rayn said:

I actually do understand your view on this and I'm equally baffled almost every day when reading comments, feedback or critique of games, movies, music or books that I love. 

The thing is, different games are designed to cater for different audiences. I'm usually most fond of big games set in an open world which lets you both enjoy a main story, several shorter stories through side quests and exploration at your own leisure.

Examples of such games include BotW, Skyrim, Elden Ring and The Witcher 3. Those games are my jam, but in every discussion thread for each respective game there are several posters who admits these games are not for them, they are too slow, they lack direction (for them), they are padded out or lacks something. Such comments baffle me personally as these games give me exactly what I'm afer in a video game but this simply means that these games are not for them, they usually find joy in games that I don't play a lot. 

Yes! …but they still attempt to buy or play literally every major game release 😂 

I do not understand the logic, at all :) 

2 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Yes! …but they still attempt to buy or play literally every major game release 😂 

I do not understand the logic, at all :) 

Some times it's hard to escape the hype train. Personally I've gotten better at it but I still find myself in situations where a new release within a genre I usually don't enjoy is released to massive hype which, in return, spawns a megathread on this forum and I bite only to find out that the game really isn't for me. This is not the games' fault, however, it's all me. I do try to not speak of the game in a negative manner though. 

2 minutes ago, Rayn said:

Some times it's hard to escape the hype train. Personally I've gotten better at it but I still find myself in situations where a new release within a genre I usually don't enjoy is released to massive hype which, in return, spawns a megathread on this forum and I bite only to find out that the game really isn't for me. This is not the games' fault, however, it's all me. I do try to not speak of the game in a negative manner though. 

I try not to speak of the game in a negative manner either! Gamepass has given me a bit more of an opportunity to play games that are totally not for me - and I’m not sure how much I like it 😂- but I’m way less inclined to proclaim it “shit” or be totally single minded in my opinion to have the arrogance to call blatant design decisions “flaws” and instead try to work out why I don’t like it or if I’ve missed something… I did this with Tunic, which SHOULD be something I love, but I really didn’t and I did consider some alternative view-points from people who did love the game to see if I’d maybe get it and it would click with me. It didn’t really :) and that fine! 

When a game genuinely seems to be trying something ‘new’, there’s always more to discuss than with Generic FPS #735678, particularly if many people think it doesn’t quite stick the landing. For me there were certainly way more positives than negatives, but the negatives are interesting to talk about.

....aaand finished. Nothing epoch-making but very atmospheric and it looks and sounds terrific.

I went in expecting a walking sim but it felt more like an old PS2 adventure or something.

I liked it a lot, but I didn’t quite love it. Gorgeous looking, with a superb soundtrack but for me it just got in the way of itself a little in the final act. I almost think it might have been better served with less gameplay in the latter stages. But yeah, nitpicking because ‘muk. For a first game this was a staggering achievement and they should be hugely proud. Can’t wait to see what these guys do next.

I think I'm near the end of this now and so far its been.....fine I guess. That might come across as a harsh statement but it feels like the most appropriate word to use. There are some lovely areas in the game and I'm enjoying playing through it but theres been no "wow" moments for me. 

I completed it yesterday, it's a nice short indie title. Looks lovely on the PS5, gameplay is fine but the plot is generic.

7/10.

21 hours ago, Giddas said:

This was a great game to play with my young daughter as a viewer, she got quite invested in the story (I didn't let her watch the eyeball corridor sections though).

My little girl (just turned 5) loved the eyeball corridor!

First game we have played through together from beginning to end and she absolutely loved it. She had me explaining all sorts of things, like AI, uploading human brains into machines, and the idea of sci-fi in general, to her as we played. 

I thought this was cute, overall. Initially beguiling, beautiful lighting, great soundtrack. But it seemed to get progressively less interesting as it went on. The first town area is by far the best part and is probably what I will remember the most. Poking around the town on both ground and rooftop to discover secret areas and complete quests felt like the game making the best use of its feline protagonist. By the latter parts of the game where you're avoiding sentrys' cones of vision and using torches to kill enemies it started feeling a bit generic, like it was just shoe-horning in mechanics from other games so it felt more gamey. Even the subsequent town areas didn't reach the heights of the first, feeling a lot more constrained in terms of freedom of movement. 

Still pretty impressive on the whole from what I assume is a small studio though.