IGNORED

Stray: The Cyberpunk Cat

gospvg

6hr30m, and done. Loved it. I'd have preferred a better character model for the cat, which is distinctly last-gen, but that's my only real gripe, the actual animation is fantastic. What a charming game. :)

Clocked it. It was good enough, though it didn’t really bowl me over. I think they missed a trick by not having more dual sense haptics, the soft padding of the cats feet as it walked around and thuds as you land from jumps would have been nice.

Finished last night. Very charming and sweet, and I'm glad I played it. 

It's a walking simulator with some light puzzling, but it definitely leaves stuff on the table that could be built on by a sequel.

I'd love to see more catty behaviour exploited, like very high jumps, catching fast prey (robots/drones so it's not disturbing!), building up kinetic energy for a pounce (bum wiggles!) and stuff like that. 

It does look amazing and the atmosphere is great and being a cat is fucking dope but having to stop every 10-20 seconds to interact with something or a robot is kind of jarring. It should have been more about the cat and being a cat, give me portal style platforming puzzles and more catty behaviour. Also why not let me choose which cat I could play, I would have chosen the void. Still it's a game where you play a cat so yeah it's great I love it so far.

15 hours ago, Thor said:

I loved the references to various other games and movies.

Reveal hidden contents

The references to all three BttF movies I really liked.

Spoiler

The Skyrim one made me chuckle and I don't even like Skyrim!! 😆

Just finished. Loved every second of it. Beautifully crafted and just wonderful to play.

Every night this week when I've sat down to play it my three cats have all curled up on various sofa / chair to watch.

I'm really not sure how 

Spoiler

you're supposed to beat it in 2 hours for a trophy!!!?

Finished this over the weekend. It started really well, but outst(r)ayed its welcome. Could have done with a lot less robot talking stuff, and being a couple of hours shorter. The game was a lot better at the start before you picked up the companion. 

I did enjoy it, and exploring the environments was lovely. No real interest in going back for the trophies though, and that one about leaving the PS5 on for an hour just for a trophy seems misjudged in the current energy climate. 

Also completed over the weekend in around 8 hours. Enjoyable, not particularly challenging but nice to potter around in the cyberpunk world. Don't really see any replay value in it for me, so promptly uninstalled. 7/10

Just started this, really really early on, but have absolutely loved what I've done so far. It feels like a Ueda game in places. No big cutscene showing you the plot, no loading screen explaining the lore, just subtle little hints shown through the environment. Got a bit of a busy week on but I'm really looking forward to playing more! 

Finished it. Pretty enjoyable, but I did find myself willing it to reach it's conclusion. I think I'd have liked them to have run with it more in terms of cat movement and actions, made it a bit more free and joyful. The world looks and sounds lovely, but it's lacking in interactivity. Cat interactivity that's not just press x to interact I mean. 

And I thought the sidekick wasn't quite good enough. I don't know, maybe the dialogue wasn't good enough, maybe if there had been some more sophisticated gameplay interaction with it I might have liked them a bit better. The supporting cast characters were great.

I almost wish this didn't have the companion and you overheard conversations as a cat and had to do more things like follow people through doors or coerce them to do things rather than just now you're a cat that can technically talk. 

It's a good game, no doubt and it could potentially be a lot more awkward and unwelcoming if it's a bit more abstract in regards to "being a cat" but I think it would be interesting for it to be even more environmental storytelling and free form to an extent. 

I do however think it's been done as it is completely intentionally in order for it to have the broadest appeal and it very much is and that's a good thing. 

I'm just an old gamer that always wants more depth, even though getting more people into games etc is obviously a totally good and understandable thing for a game to do. I think it does that very well. 

I enjoyed it. It's a charming game and I really dig the cyberpunk setting, but it was a bit too shallow to challenge the likes of Sifu and Cuphead The Delicious Last Course as my favourite indies of this year.

That's a great question.

I've only played Stray briefly, so can't answer. Hopefully you may be willing to elaborate.

On a possibly related, tangential note, I recently started with the lovely The Last Guardian. More than anything, it reminds me of the original Prince of Persia — a slightly janky, arthouse, puzzle adventure — and other games of that "genre," which for me includes Another World and Flashback.

8 hours ago, Giles said:

That's a great question.

I've only played Stray briefly, so can't answer. Hopefully you may be willing to elaborate.

On a possibly related, tangential note, I recently started with the lovely The Last Guardian. More than anything, it reminds me of the original Prince of Persia — a slightly janky, arthouse, puzzle adventure — and other games of that "genre," which for me includes Another World and Flashback.

Will spoiler anything too major - 

Both Stray and Another world have a protagonist that are silent and that accidentally get trapped inside an unknown area (Alien Planet, Forgotten City)

Both games have you meeting up with an ally - Alien / B12

Both feature similar puzzles in order to progress - distracting enemies/robots to get items you need etc

There is one section where in Stray 

Spoiler

You get captured and put in a cage hanging in mid air and you have to swing left and right to break out the cage

and the exact same thing happens in the second level of Another World

Both games have you being chased by some kind of enemy. 

Both protagonists have ginger hair.

The ending is quite similar 

Spoiler

with the way it just "ends" very much like when the dragon carries you off in Another World, not really knowing what happens next.

There are definitely more things, i'll have a think.

On 25/07/2022 at 16:41, BitterToad said:

Just started this, really really early on, but have absolutely loved what I've done so far. It feels like a Ueda game in places. No big cutscene showing you the plot, no loading screen explaining the lore, just subtle little hints shown through the environment. Got a bit of a busy week on but I'm really looking forward to playing more! 

It’s starting to feel like a Ueda game with a stupid chatty little robot now. Those first minutes were so atmospheric! Pootling round at your own pace, seeing what you could jump on and interact with. Learning everything plot wise solely from the environment. 

Now this stupid robot keeps popping up to tell me where to go and what’s going on and it’s kind of putting me off the thing. 

Bah!

22 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

Now this stupid robot keeps popping up to tell me where to go and what’s going on and it’s kind of putting me off the thing. 

Yeah same here. It's supposed to be about a cat.

Just finished this. I thought it was wonderful, beautiful and charming. I liked pretty much everything about it. Love seeing a smaller, more experimental game get attention and though it’s clearly not been exactly what people were expecting, I loved every second of it. 

I completed this yesterday. In no way was it a 9 or a 10, but the game was a fun few hours that featured some exceptional graphics and art direction. Dat lighting! Not enough ‘this plays/feels different to normal third person games because you’re a cat’ for me, though. It was thoroughly enjoyable but not as good as it could have been.