IGNORED

Stray: The Cyberpunk Cat

gospvg

I played it while our cat was sat under the chair, wanted to see how she'd react to the meows but she didn't even acknowledge it. By contrast there used to be a BBC ident with a fly getting zapped that she'd almost jump into the TV to get at.

Agree with the gameplay being pretty shallow, it's also pretty annoying not having a map for such a fetch quest game. I don't mind, it's a cheap (or even free) game and am mainly just enjoying being in the world. Someone mentioned that the environment should be real-life, sure but what they have done here is clearly the smart choice for a small team. By setting it in a world full of robots, they avoid having to deal with humans and their animations. Sure they could have used a pack but it would have been difficult to find something that matches the quality and feel of the environment. Also means they make more sense of the beep-boo-be-be voices instead of dealing with voice acting. It all results in a much more polished artistic vision. 

2 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

So... is it this year's Untitled Goose Game, but better?

(I loved UGG, for what it's worth.)

It’s not as good as that imo, beyond the visuals and cat behaviour it’s way less inventive than UGG. 

1 hour ago, Banjaxed said:

Just finished this. 4 hours 45 minutes of pure charm. Really enjoyed it. 

That’s not a lot of game for the money, perfect for GP Plus as they say. It doesn’t sound like a game that will have a NG+ mode, is there much replayability to it?

Haven't finished yet but I doubt there's NG+. It's very linear story driven with no customisation to anything. Only reason I could think of is replaying for achievements if that's your thing.

edit: also, it's very much a game like Gone Home, Edith Finch etc. Short, sweet, interactive and charming. There's an actual game to play that must click with you. I can fully understand people not clicking with this at all as it is rather bare bones.

The light platform-puzzle game that takes 5-6 hours to finish and costs about £25 is almost a sub-genre of its own these days. Think Rime or The Gunk or Concrete Genie, for instance. For me Stray is the best of the bunch.

Like all those games, there are definitely mechanics that could have been developed more with extra challenge or depth, but that's not really the point. And it is quite clever in the way it repurposes familiar activities in this type of game through the cat and robots - a cat is an ideal fit for this sort of thing, from its movement to its perspective, and the way the robots ape human behaviour out of its social context ways makes them perfect NPCs.

1 hour ago, scoobysi said:

That’s not a lot of game for the money, perfect for GP Plus as they say. It doesn’t sound like a game that will have a NG+ mode, is there much replayability to it?

Nah, there’s no replayability to it other than getting the trophies.........but even they suck and don’t add anything . Jump 500 times (press X 500 times). Meow 500 times (press O 500 times), Let the Cat sleep for over an hr (leave the game idle for over an hr) etc. 

After all the Tiktok videos my husband developed a strong desire to play, so we bought it this evening, and he’s having an absolute ball so far. 

Edit - actually, I’m having a grand time just watching. The movement animation is delightful, and watching a feline character traverse a human-scale environment in its own way is really pleasing, and slightly subverting of the kind of norms of exploration that were used to. 

This really reminds me of The Gunk both tonally and visually. I’m enjoying the touches of humour and melancholy, but mostly I’m very much enjoying being a cat and knocking things off tables. 

On 20/07/2022 at 12:59, Eighthours said:

I enjoyed playing this for a bit last night and it seems great. It's kinda a shame that the devs decided they needed a cyberpunk city, though. Using a real world setting would have been more interesting for me - the USP of playing as a cat in this game is enough to carry it, it doesn't need the sci-fi stuff bolted on even though it's fun so far.

Shockingly wrong take :lol:

Loved this and it looked graphically stunning at times (apart from the cat's fur annoyingly!). Looking forward to learning it enough to get the trophy for beating it in under 2 hours. 

Missed a trick with no custom options for cat. So far its chill, and while I love cats, besides the gimmick of playing as one the game is just OK. Wanted to really love it but it does have charm. Maybe because the game is too simple which has worked against it?.

9 minutes ago, yakumo said:

Missed a trick with no custom options for cat. So far its chill, and while I love cats, besides the gimmick of playing as one the game is just OK. Wanted to really love it but it does have charm. Maybe because the game is too simple which has worked against it?.

Absolutely this.  If you could customize the cat to look like your own this would take this to a whole new level. 

Gorgeous game and completely charming.

Just finished it and loved every minute of it. I know it's not the most taxing but was a breath of fresh air compared to the 80+ hour epics that use every button and have tons of weapons, skill trees and powerups to configure.

It really needs a camera mode, one of the best looking games I've played.