IGNORED

Marvel's Hawkeye

JohnC

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

Assuming Meh is talking about the whole series, and Thor is talking about the musical number here?

Can confirm the latter. I love this show, easily the best of all of them. But that post credit "gift" ... 🤢

I'm not being Right On about this, genuinely - I'm usually not - but all the way through that musical number I couldn't shake the feeling that it's so conceptually misjudged. I was trying to think of crowd-pleasing musicals that are directly about, say, traumatising events in war, or terrorist attacks, and I came up short. Like, if there was a stage show about first responders to 9/11 or something. When the series opened with Clint watching it with his family I just thought... why on Earth would he even be there? It would be like taking your veteran grandfather to a pantomime about Omaha Beach.

I am overthinking it, I know, but it was honestly the only thing on my mind during those scenes.

2 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

Watched this on Xmas day (whole series). Brilliant. Was a bit disappointed by the musical number though - like where was the payoff? I was expecting to see someone in the crowd.

57 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

The pay off should have been Yelena watching. 

I honestly think a crowd shot would have been perfect to introduce Ms Marvel. Just have her sit there as the total fangirl she is. Oh well.

58 minutes ago, Sabreman said:

I'm not being Right On about this, genuinely - I'm usually not - but all the way through that musical number I couldn't shake the feeling that it's so conceptually misjudged. I was trying to think of crowd-pleasing musicals that are directly about, say, traumatising events in war, or terrorist attacks, and I came up short. Like, if there was a stage show about first responders to 9/11 or something. When the series opened with Clint watching it with his family I just thought... why on Earth would he even be there? It would be like taking your veteran grandfather to a pantomime about Omaha Beach.

I am overthinking it, I know, but it was honestly the only thing on my mind during those scenes.

I don't think you are overthinking it really, it is massively weird tonally and isn't it a case of a little throwaway joke that they've run with? (Badly.)

I thought there was going to be a payoff to the end credit scene too - I fast forwarded through the execrable song thinking there was going to be something after it and there just wasn't. 

Loved this, I watched the whole thing yesterday with my son and we had a blast, easily the best of the Disney+ series’ so far. Likeable characters, great pacing, interesting concepts. Kate was brilliant, jack was the mvp, the larders were good, Clint was fascinating, it was great to see the big man back. But everything in it paled in comparison to Yelena, who is quickly becoming one of my favourite MCU characters bar none. She’s funny, charming, cool and just makes every single scene she’s in so much better. 

8/10, makes me more excited for the MCU which is what I’m looking for from these, whilst also telling its own story and being a fun watch on its own merits. So much better than Loki, and the less said about fucking what if the better. 

The absolutely amazing musical number is just an extra, expanded from the joke in the first episode, a ‘gift’ as they put it and nothing intended to seed storylines or characters. And certainly not comment on the tragedy and trauma of a wartime disaster (and there been plenty of musicals set about the war btw). Dunno what you are all expecting!

Anyway, came here to fyi that the Hawkeye series this is based on and the writer is the producer on is on Amazon Prime reading and it bangs.

That musical number was about the only thing I didn't like in the whole series. It was a shit song, from what looked like a shit musical with shit production values, and it was funny in the first episode because it was only a few seconds long.

The "gift" was being subjected to entire minutes of it without a payoff.

1 hour ago, Scribblor said:

That musical number was about the only thing I didn't like in the whole series. It was a shit song, from what looked like a shit musical with shit production values, and it was funny in the first episode because it was only a few seconds long.

The "gift" was being subjected to entire minutes of it without a payoff.

Also "I can do this all day" is a fucking terrible catchphrase and this highlights it by repeating it 1 million times.

Also, it isn't lyrically funny. It's like they never once saw a classic Simpsons with something like "We Do" or "Stop the Planet of the Apes I Want To Get Off"

2 hours ago, ryodi said:

I really enjoyed it and I’m glad I watched and enjoyed Black Widow before watching it. it’s the best Disney+ series so far and I can’t wait for the Assembled episode covering how it was made. 

This, surprised it’s not up already.  The others were up quite quickly AFAIK

1 hour ago, scottcr said:

Loki (started great, ended very very badly).

OT, but I felt Loki started well, dipped badly, then pulled it out somewhat (mostly due to Jonathan Majors) at the end. Such that I’m still looking forward to more.

18 minutes ago, scottcr said:

God of mischief? God of hair flicking more like…. And, if you weren’t a lore person that last episode was awful IMO.

but Hawkeye was GREAT

Lore or no lore, 30 mins of a guy obtusely waffling teasers for future eps doesn't make for a great final episode in my book.

1 hour ago, Festoon said:

Lore or no lore, 30 mins of a guy obtusely waffling teasers for future eps doesn't make for a great final episode in my book.

Aye. I’m not a lore person. Me and the boy sat down to watch the big finale and we were bored. Didn’t know who this guy was and what he was waffling on about. Was a shame as the first few episodes were great.

I know folks who are pure up on all the lore and they were pretty hyped but meh

I thought WV was really clever and as a family we all enjoyed it then at the end it had the whole magic battle where folks fire different coloured beams at each other and try to push their beams harder than the other one and I was like ‘sake man’

• 2 weeks later...