Dead Space Remake: Isaac is back, in Pog form!

Fargo

Possibly brilliant news. Makes it all the more frustrating with how they clumsily killed the franchise dead with their meddling in the third game.

I am thankful the wind has blown them to start chasing single player epics again but I'm sure they will wildly pivot all their franchises into whatever success story emerges over the coming years again.

Knowing how EA treated the franchise after Dead Space 1 I am not too sure how to feel about this. I can only imagine what New Dead Space (or DS4 if you like) will be like: a collection of populair ideas and mechanics seen it other games.

This is an all timer and 2 is great too as I recall. I got the version with the Move add on but I never played that.

I’ve downloaded 3 but heard it’s actually so bad it’s not worth playing at all.

The Move one is rather good actually, give it a chance if you can be bothered (and if the Move controllers still work). Dead Space 3 is a decent enough action game and a poor Dead Space. Go in with low expectations and you'll have a fun time with it.

First one was utterly perfect. Alien meets Event Horizon with a healthy dollop of Lovecraftian horror.

The 2nd one made the classic mistake of explaining too much of the universe lore, some things should just be left unexplained I feel.

I lasted about half an hour with the 3rd one.

I would have prefered a new one to a remake, unless they take some serious risks with it. Also not sure if Motive is up to the task. EA rebooting DS must be a bit painful to read if you worked at Visceral. They made two brilliant games (DS2 is up there with Capcom's best for me), then couldn't make the DS3 they wanted to make due to EA and their cool ideas for DS4 weren't meant to be. And then they were closed.

The good news is that the directors of 1 and 2 and over 20 other former Visceral devs are making their own sci-fi horror IP with The Callisto Protocol which I'm very much looking forward to.

A remake of 1 given the love and attention of say Demon’s Souls on PS5 would be magnificent, the core game is still great, so I hope it’s current gen only. 

1 minute ago, dino_jr said:

I loved DS on my PS3 but never bought any sequels. What was the issue with 2 and 3 then? Is it summarised somewhere?

2 is far more action oriented with a couple of (admittedly fantastic) setpieces. It's less focused than the first but still definitely worth a play. 3 is just terrible. They ditch all the horror for co-op and shootyman action. And a horrible ending that goes nowhere. 

2 isn't really that more action packed, it has loads of downtime, slow build-ups and tension. Think the elementary school, the Church of Unitology, the solar array, the Stalker sections, the

Spoiler

return to the Ishimura. 

Yes, it has some great set-pieces but the gameplay design is very similar, just with way more variety in about anything.

31 minutes ago, dino_jr said:

I loved DS on my PS3 but never bought any sequels. What was the issue with 2 and 3 then? Is it summarised somewhere?

There is no issue with 2. There's a reason it's the highest-rated game in the series. It's the Edge 9 to the 8 of the first game. :)

Which is why I hope they implement some of the improvements in that game for this remake, like the less predictable level design with its clearly telegraphed quarantine zones, similar to how Resi 2 Remake improved the RPD level design when compared to the original, the better weapon balancing, the punchier melee, the more useful telekenesis and the free-movement zero-G sections. Oh, and the lack of a turret scene. Skip that one, Motive. :)

Regarding your first spoiler, they had to ruin it by having this ridiculously long action set piece. That's my main complaint about Dead Space 2: the lack of restraint. Instead of 4 or 5 enemies we get like 15. Because MORE IS BETTER.

11 hours ago, DC said:

This is an all timer and 2 is great too as I recall. I got the version with the Move add on but I never played that.

I’ve downloaded 3 but heard it’s actually so bad it’s not worth playing at all.

11 hours ago, df0 said:

The Move one is rather good actually, give it a chance if you can be bothered (and if the Move controllers still work). Dead Space 3 is a decent enough action game and a poor Dead Space. Go in with low expectations and you'll have a fun time with it.

Yeah, the Wii one (Extermination) really should be the one getting a remake, it was technically quite ropey but creatively clever and nobody played the dang thing. It’s perfect seated VR shooting gallery fodder.

Just port DS1 again in 4K60 with 3D audio*, it looks good enough, still sounds better than half the games out there, and if you’re going to significantly change the gameplay you might as well make a sequel.

*DS1 actually attached environmental sounds to objects IIRC?

The interview with the devs (possibly in eurogamer, afraid I forget exactly where) made their ideas for 4 sound brilliant. Basically taking the ship-boarding sections from 3 and spinning it out into a semi-sandboxy survival game. Could have easily borrowed roguelitey elements with something like that too.

7 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

Dead Space 2 is significantly better than the first in most ways except possibly tension. That's only because the first one used the majority of the tricks so well

No. 

Maybe. There's a GDC chat video with the producer where he states Dead Space is objectively better than the original and explains why. Better level design, better colour palette, better set pieces.

I'm sure he's right. I'm also sure I rank the original in my Top 5 of that generation with the sequel nowhere to be seen.

edit: maybe it was not at GDC. Let me look for it.

edit 2: blast, can't find it now. I believe it was from GDC where the producer showed slides of Dead Space 1 and 2 comparing the colour palette where DS1 looked rather same-y where 2 was more distinct.

Paint me as another who places the original in their top games of that generation. I loved 2 too but it was definitely more Aliens to DS' Alien.

I played the first one just prior to release, as I was reviewing it, word of mouth hadn't fully spread yet, so went in fairly blind, played the opening in the dark with headphones on, and holy shit, best horror game experience I recall having since Silent Hill 2 :wub:

I replayed Dead Space 1 & 2 again a year or so ago on PC and they are still as good as I remembered. They still look really nice, especially the 2nd one in 4K 60 etc.

11 hours ago, df0 said:

Regarding your first spoiler, they had to ruin it by having this ridiculously long action set piece. That's my main complaint about Dead Space 2: the lack of restraint. Instead of 4 or 5 enemies we get like 15. Because MORE IS BETTER.

I do think MORE is generally better in 2. More variety, more enemies, more weapons, more suits, more freedom in zero-G. I don't think 2 lacks restraint at all though. It has so many moments where it builds the tension so well. I'd argue the

Spoiler

return to the Ishimura is a masterclass in restraint. It lasts so long that your trigger finger starts itching. Yes, there's an inevitable action pay-off but the first does that as well, as do many Resident Evils, but never this masterfully. EG even did an article about it.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-05-07-dissecting-dead-space-2s-most-memorable-level

As EG states in that article, what DS2 actually does less is making you an errand boy.

I think people tend to forget how much killing you do in the first as well.  What both Dead Space do well is mixing up the bang with the quiet and by giving you lots of downtime. I just don't agree that 2 does this worse. If anything it does it better and more organically. The first DS keeps repeating the same tricks, limited by its environment. Every time I entered one of those wider squared rooms, I knew it was only a matter of time before it would be locked down and I'd hear the voice saying the area was quarantined. The second doesn't have that problem.

Always found the Alien - Aliens comparison pretty lazy to be honest. But then again, I watched both Alien movies recently and there is very little action in Aliens. A few short bursts, but it's hardly T2 or The Matrix as fas as sci-fi action goes.

Horror movies and games tend not to impact me. But Sci-Fi horror done right (Event Horizon will forever be one of the most terrifying movies ever made for me) turns me into a bit of a mess. DS1 was a landmark in gaming IMO, DS2 took that incredible set-up and improved every aspect. I remember when DS3 came out and it felt like the game Lost Planet and DS had switched development teams, not just because of the snow planet setting but because it seemed so far removed from what made 1 and 2 so good. Lost Planet being a license that similarly when off the rails around the same time is another discussion entirely.

A full sequel with all the learnings from what went wrong with 3 would be glorious as would a Resi style remake of DS1. I think it was DS2 that had that specific enemy that simply could not be killed and I always thought that was such a fantastic twist on the combat and general feeling of 'SSSHHHIIIIIIIITTTTT!!!!!' so was really disappointed when DS3 seemed to go in such a different direction.

Bring Dead Space back, do it right, take all my money!

9 hours ago, MardiganX said:

Horror movies and games tend not to impact me. But Sci-Fi horror done right (Event Horizon will forever be one of the most terrifying movies ever made for me) turns me into a bit of a mess. 

Well, I was wondering what to watch tonight. Sorted!!

Cheers.

I too felt the urge to replay Dead Space recently and was stunned at how well it held up. The audio is still a magnificent work of art.