Activision-Blizzard riddled with sex creeps

Harsin

I'm baffled that anyone read Kotick's response and saw anything other than a shareholder-appeasing piece of boilerplate. Nothing will fundamentally change.

It's straight from the corporate playbook Riot read from- you make some non-binding overtures to fire anyone who isn't following policy or is obstructing people following policy (which the company would be doing anyway, so when they don't actually fire anyone they can shrug and say everything is fine), then hire a union-busting consultancy to go through and identify troublemakers who might start organising; this is done under the pretence of "listening sessions" so Activision management know who to "manage out" of the company to avoid future embarrassing walk-outs.

6 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Isn't the date of that photo in the hotel suite too early for it to be named in reference to Cosby's sexual assault charges?

No.

Stuff about Cosby was floating around for years before that.

6 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Isn't the date of that photo in the hotel suite too early for it to be named in reference to Cosby's sexual assault charges?

The first allegation is from the mid sixties so it's probably one of those things that's been whispered about for a while.

9 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

That's an interesting point. I seem to remember the allegations really becoming very prominent when Hannibal Buress started mentioning them in his standup sets (which according to Wikipedia was in late 2014). I hadn't heard of them before then.

Looking at the timeline on Wikipedia, it seems that women had made allegations against Cosby before 2013, but it didn't seem to be national news by then (although not being American, I don't know how widespread those kinds of allegations were). I would guess it's a kind of Jimmy Savile situation, where he was seen as a creep, but through rumours rather than hard fact.

3 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

They were publicly known and reported on in the mid-2000s, and although they didn’t get widespread visibility until about a decade later, it’s said in the Kotaku story that they knew about them at the time.

There's a lot of amateur CSI analysis going on around the internet right now around the Cosby timeline. Okay, in the event that it was actually some massively huge coincidence they decided to name their space for taking drunk fans and having their way with them after a celebrity who already had a reputation at that point (even if definitive proof was still to follow) for having sex with with women not in control of their faculties. So what? They could have called it the Tom Hanks suite, wouldn't make the shit they were doing in there (and boasting about) any better.

3 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

They were publicly known and reported on in the mid-2000s, and although they didn’t get widespread visibility until about a decade later, it’s said in the Kotaku story that they knew about them at the time.

It's said that some people in a whisper network (i.e. the folks most likely to be engaged with the subject) knew about them at the time - Kotaku are careful enough not to say that the guys in the photo necessarily knew and had internalised it.

1 minute ago, Harsin said:

There's a lot of amateur CSI analysis going on around the internet right now around the Cosby timeline. Okay, in the event that it was actually some massively huge coincidence they decided to name their space for taking drunk fans and having their way with them after a celebrity who already had a reputation at that point (even if definitive proof was still to follow) for having sex with with women not in control of their faculties. So what? They could have called it the Tom Hanks suite, wouldn't make the shit they were doing in there (and boasting about) any better.

Exactly.

3 minutes ago, footle said:

It's said that some people in a whisper network (i.e. the folks most likely to be engaged with the subject) knew about them at the time - Kotaku are careful enough not to say that the guys in the photo necessarily knew and had internalised it.

Ah, I hadn’t parsed that correctly.

I would guess it would be like calling a hotel room the Jimmy Savile suite in 2010. It's not the kind of name you'd give to a place where you weren't intending to do anything weird or wrong.

The whole hotel room 'name' is almost irrelevant with the level of allegations here. It's a strange one to try and defend when there's a mountain of other shit involved. I mean there's fucking creepy messages supporting how creepy these bastards are.

What's also worrying Activision brass right now I imagine is, depending on what more starts to come out (but we already have a picture of the individual posing in the infamous room), that they have a lot of money tied up in a game starring Cowboy Cosby, a sequel in the works featuring the same character and shops and warehouses full of merchandise (clothes, statues, funko-pops) of Cowboy Cosby.

3 minutes ago, phillv85 said:

The whole hotel room 'name' is almost irrelevant with the level of allegations here. It's a strange one to try and defend when there's a mountain of other shit involved. I mean there's fucking creepy messages supporting how creepy these bastards are.

It's the skulls on the hats thing from Mitchell & Webb all over again

5 minutes ago, phillv85 said:

I'm not trying to defend anything.  I was just wondering if the outrage at it was misplaced.

2 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

I'm not trying to defend anything.  I was just wondering if the outrage at it was misplaced.

A screenshot from the "BlizzCon Cosby Crew" groupchat:

image.png.36089c489753d4600b898e26edf4f1fc.png

They knew exactly what the fuck they were referencing with the Bill Cosby thing.

I quote:

"I'm gathering the hot chixx for the Coz"

7 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Well, I mean it’s not. One would hope/imagine that the people doing the walkout aren’t involved.

You're being pedantic. The problem is endemic through the whole company, not just select teams that work on certain  games.

15 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Sorry, wasn't accusing anyone here of trying to defend it, it was that fucking creep that works/worked there trying to bullshit everyone on Twitter about it.

22 minutes ago, phillv85 said:

You saw the same stuff when GamerGate was in full swing- wee Reddit pubes coming out of the woodwork to try and pick any tiny hole they could because it helps them turn it into a "well they're just as bad as the other side" or whatever.

It's an avoidance tactic; if they can go, "well look, this person is exaggerating XYZ", or "well they're getting all this publicity off it, they're in it for the fame as much as anything", or "well this one person did a bad thing that one time", they can convince themselves it's all performative and resume their smug detachment from everything. They're annoyed people care so easily when they are working so hard not to, and only weigh in to try and exhaust everyone.

3 hours ago, Alex W. said:

The whole point is that the company has demonstrated over and over that it doesn't take this seriously, despite being told about these "bad seeds" repeatedly by their own staff for a decade. If they get rid of this particular set of douchebags without addressing the fundamental company failures that allowed them to persist in the first place, if they continue to act as a safe haven for abusers, then those abusers will just get replaced by others. Some of the stories to come out emphasise that the company has been firing or moving around particular bad actors without it resolving the systematic issues.

Even if Activision Blizzard were to basically collapse as a result of this, which is unlikely, this is a zero-sum game: other, less-shitty companies would do better as a result and would be able to hire people who were fleeing the sinking ship.

Sounds like the Catholic Church...