Activision-Blizzard riddled with sex creeps

Harsin

15 minutes ago, Triple A said:

and the rest, in conjunction with PR and HR

Well, yeah. I don’t think he dashed it off himself in between planning his next inexplicable cameo in a Hollywood film. I guess my point was that it was quite strongly worded as these things go, and contains some very specific actions. Who knows if it’ll make any difference, but it seemed a bit more direct than the usual dishwater that gets served up on these occasions. 

On 27/07/2021 at 06:48, sprite said:

Oh I know you’re not getting at me @Harsin don’t worry :) it’s all just so.. confusing!

The way I'm approaching it is that you're absolutely right in that this is almost certainly absolutely everywhere, and we're only hearing about the scale of this one example because of a state investigation. I hope, through sheer attrition, that fall out from high profile (at least in specific industries) examples leads to improvements in general. Maybe. I hope :( I dunno.

Yeah, C-level culpability is bullshit. Even if something happens, they'll find a gig somewhere else.

Meanwhile, 

Shareholder rights law firm Robbins LLP is investigating Activision Blizzard to determine whether certain Activision officers and directors violated the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 and breached their fiduciary duties to the company, according to a note shared on BusinessWire.

Pre-market stats suggest the shares are starting to rally – albeit slightly – but overall, Activision Blizzard stocks have dropped by as much as 7% on Tuesday as the legal mess continued to get stickier.

2 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

That’s a terrible interpretation. It looks way worse then it is. If went from 91 to 82 and is at time if writing back at 87.

See below the graph for the past 6 months. Steep dip in mid May, two steep dips at end February.

2D87915A-70B9-4FE1-B9B0-610168911652.png

15 hours ago, TehStu said:

Yeah, C-level culpability is bullshit. Even if something happens, they'll find a gig somewhere else.

Meanwhile, 

Yep. Don Mattrick presided over possibly the most epic fuck-up of a product launch this industry has seen and one that took the company years to recover from (you could arguse they still are). What happened? He walked straight into a CEO gig afterwards. Keep that in mind next time someone tries to argue about corporate meritocracies with a straight face.

13 minutes ago, df0 said:

That’s a terrible interpretation. It looks way worse then it is. If went from 91 to 82 and is at time if writing back at 87.

See below the graph for the past 6 months. Steep dip in mid May, two steep dips at end February.

2D87915A-70B9-4FE1-B9B0-610168911652.png

It was more the confirmation Kotick didn't get involved until the prices tanked like a cunt. But tbh we knew that without it.

Jesus Christ. They’re going to find it hard to argue that they weren’t aware of any harassment if they called it the Bill Cosby Suite, even if they spelled it “Crosby”. 

Maybe they’ll try to argue they named it after William G Crosby (1805 - 1881), the former governor of Maine. 

4 minutes ago, K said:

Jesus Christ. They’re going to find it hard to argue that they weren’t aware of any harassment if they called it the Bill Cosby Suite, even if they spelled it “Crosby”. 

Maybe they’ll try to argue they named it after William G Crosby (1805 - 1881), the former governor of Maine. 

apparently it was a reference to his sweaters being dated, like the hotel room… /facepalm

17 minutes ago, K said:

Wasn’t that just a typo in an earlier news article? In all of the screenshots and photos it is spelt correctly.

Yeah, that was posted a little way up. And incidentally, he's mentioned a few times in said article, but here's a nice screenshot (taken by me, just now, in case it mysteriously disappears), of a tweet of Greg Street's from years back:

Screenshot_20210728-211531_Talon_copy_1080x576.thumb.jpg.b489aa57d0e082add43a31f3418b210d.jpg

So confident that there was no problem with the whole thing that he referenced it in public.

Edit: in other news, American contracts seem great:

Genuinely a bit disgusted at finding out the Overwatch character is named after one of them.

*edit* I mean that's not the worst thing here, at all. Just feel weird having effectively roleplayed as a sex pest in OW.

7 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Most Americans are employed at-will. 

Yeah, my impression of worker protections in the US was always extremely negative (compounded by the whole healthcare situation), but it's still always a shock to see it in action.

Still, at least things are completely fine over here, where things definitely haven't degenerated to the point where the fucking labour party is hiring people on insecure contracts.

7 hours ago, Bojangle said:

It gets better!

The Kotaku article really wasn’t confusing on that point at all.

But in all pictures of the 2013 BlizzCon hotel room reviewed by Kotaku, the walls were largely white and blank and the decor was nondescript. The rug visible in some of the photographs does have a pattern, but it looks nothing like the sweaters in the framed picture everyone is holding.

Another ex-Blizzard source pushed back on claims the “Cosby Suite” was a joke about ugly boardrooms or sweaters, noting that when Blizzard moved to its new Irvine, California campus in 2008, the office had been freshly painted and, to their knowledge, there was no infamous ugly boardroom.

Moreover, regardless of the source of the joke, many of the captions and comments posted on the 2013 Cosby Suite album are sexual in nature. During discussions with Kotaku, sources who suggested that the joke was an innocent play on an infamous room somewhere else also insisted that, despite this apparent widespread notoriety that was memorable enough to commemorate with a framed picture, they did not know the room belonged to Afrasiabi specifically.

Two other former Blizzard developers told Kotaku that when they heard about the “Cosby Suite” through whisper networks they clearly interpreted it as a reference to the allegations against him.

In one image procured by Kotaku, a group of women are sitting on a bed in the room with the Cosby portrait. One of the women appears to have a hand on another’s breast, which is cheered on by the men in the comments. According to the images procured by Kotaku, and two sources with knowledge of Afrasiabi’s alleged predatory behavior, Cosby’s reputation was apparently the point of why the group of men gathered around his picture in the photos.

On 24/07/2021 at 14:46, df0 said:

I don’t think that far. I can not in good conscience buy any product from a company that tolerates this behavior.

While I totally understand what you're saying and, to some point, agree with you I don't think it's the only way to judge the company. I mean, back in the days I didn't stop hanging out with my mate Eric, even though his father was an abusive alcoholic fuckwit who hit his wife and kids. 

Hopefully the company will get rid of as many bad seeds as possible and one can only hope these fuckers never get to work in the industry ever again but that shouldn't affect the thousands of employees who work there to give us great games. 

If the company can show us that they are taking this seriously by getting rid of anyone involved with creepy, predatory behaviour, harrassement etc. I wouldn't mind to support them further as I've been fond of a lot of their output over the years but if it turns out they're just waiting for it all to settle by getting rid of a guy or two just to pretend they're cleaning up they can fuck right off.