IGNORED

EFL Championship 2021/22

Ork1927

9 hours ago, milko said:

What’s going on at Fulham lately? They seem to be getting more than their usual amount of weetabix for breakfast or something. 19 goals in 3 games?!

Having attended all three games it seems like our very long break due to other teams cancelling because of Covid has done us the world of good. Silva’s basically played exactly the same team three times in eight days (with a few tweaks/subs.) We’re also setting up to score against weaker opposition and that is clearly working very very well. 

Ive never seen anything like it though. We just constantly look like scoring and take all of our chances. Mitrovic is 3 off the record for most goals in a championship season in January, didn’t score last night and we still scored six. 

It’s a lot of fun whilst also being utter utter madness. 

• 2 weeks later...

Things are looking dire at West Brom. At the start of the season it looked like the high pressure, relentless pressing thing with Ismael was going to work, despite appearing like a terrible decision on paper but it's looking increasingly like his position is untenable now.

It was a dumb enough decision to sack a manager who had just started to turn around a poor start to bring in allardyce, but it's seeming like they have outdone themselves by embarking on a huge rebuild project with no funds and a team of players on premier League salaries who are poorly suited to the style of play.

The fans have all lost patience but the board won't spend on players so why would they spend millions on changing the manager when they hired him for a long term culture change?

At this point it's unlikely the club will reach the playoffs and if they do, Ismael's style doesn't seem well suited to a knockout format, so it's really stick or twist time.

Sort of, I mean, in practice yes but it's not really the point.

The whole idea is to camp in the opponents half and pressure them into making mistakes so you can attack but it can't work that way against teams who defend and don't want the ball.

He's taken a bunch of players who were used to a short passing/counter attacking team and got them playing so far up the pitch they have no space to get behind the defence and then when they lose the ball they concede stupid goals because there's two centre backs on the half way line and the keeper is miles out of his goal.

The striker we had on loan who was supposedly at fault for our poor form scoring off a through ball 5 minutes into his cardiff debut, which kind of implies it's the tactics rather than the playing staff to blame.

To be fair Hugill looked absolutely terrible and missed some horrific sitters.  Every time I’ve seen West Brom this season the quality has got worse and worse.  As someone who has seen Megson and Pulisball this stuff is somehow even worse.

You can certainly argue he’s not had much to spend this season.  Lost our best player to big monies, the new striker gets injured first game.  Nothing really changes though.  60 mins, time for subs.  Every time.  Same system that as you mentioned does not work for these players.

He has made rod for his own back.  Johnstone got dumped out the squad as he threw a hissy fit when told Button would stop in goal.  Now the manager is right to take that approach.  Problem is he has put his favourites straight back in despite replacements performing well before.  Johnstone calls him out (poorly) and here we are.  If you want a conspiracy theory, his contract is up end of the season and maybe this was only way of getting some money for him.

Despite all this we sit 5th in the table.  Fulham only five points clear despite scoring about 30 goals more than the next team.  Bonkers league.  WBA are however  near the bottom of the form table.  My guess is he plays one way, everyone has found him out and there is no plan B.  Teams know exactly what to do and have done for a long time.

The next home game will be utterly toxic if he is still in charge.  I’ll also take chance to say this does not excuse behaving like utter cunts at Millwall, screw those idiots.

1 hour ago, Gigga said:

Steve Bruce would be a disaster if they want to reconnect with the fans. I'm hoping they go for Enzo Maresca.

Better Enzo Ferrari than Steve Bruce.

What is about football (and Tory politicians) that rewards serial failure with generous rewards?

Surely, there’s cross-over potential. Chris Grayling to manage the Albion, Alan Pardew as Home Secretary.

Much like Allardyce, these guys somehow get a reputation for being a safe pair of hands just due to being around for a while but it's failed so many times I can't see why they want to keep smashing their heads against the same brick wall.

The two big, fundamental decisions at Albion that have fucked things recently were not supporting Steve Clarke with signings when we were in the Prem and pushing for mid table, which was all about the bald cunt in charge making his millions, and then sacking Bilic when he'd just turned the team performances around and would, I think, have kept us up. Why they thought Allardyce was going to save us I'm really not sure, but it was a stupid decision.

Fans who have put up with decades of underinvestment and years of stagnant, shitty football with Pulis, Pardew and Allardyce really don't deserve to be put through Steve Bruce and I fear we'll have a good few years in the Championship ahead of us if that's the way we go.

I probably shouldn't say this as it'll come back to haunt me but I actually think Bruce might be a good option. The major concern for West Brom is that due to their dodgy ownership, if they don't go straight back up, I can see them falling down the table and finishing regularly next to my team, Brum.

My best mate is an Albion fan, and he’s horrified at the thought of Bruce. Fans were complaining that the football was too direct under Ismael - why would Bruce be seen as an upgrade. When he was Villa manager the football was dreadful (although in fairness he did stabilise the club when he first took over).

In my experience, Albion fans want to see the club play like their glory days under Big Fat Ron.  Find a young progressive manager and stick with the project.

I think Albion fans would be happiest with a team that plays passing football, not necessarily tika taka or possession focussed, just keeping the ball on the ground and building up the attack. You could see from them chanting for Bilic in the last few games that they want the team to play football.

There is a section of the fans who won't give a fuck as long as we are winning - the big difference under Ismael compared to Pulis was that seemingly the whole fanbase had turned, Pulis still had his fans after he was sacked because he got the bare minimum results even if the games were unwatchable.

If we're good enough to make the play offs, Bruce might have the right experience to get us through them and be seen as less of a gamble, but the fear is that it demoralises the players and fans even more and we continue to slide. 

It would suit the players and the fans to go for someone with a connection to the club who favours attractive, passing football. 

I can't stand Steve Bruce - I think he's a disrespectful, arrogant, excuse-ridden fibbing dinosaur.  Hated the way he tried to play mind games with Wolves when we were in the Championship - he came across as a total arsehead.

I have no issue with Albion at all, so I fear for them now he's in charge.  Yes, he can get teams out of that division but he also needs some financial clout to do that.  He's certainly not getting that at Albion, and has inherited what looks like a disorganised, imbalanced squad.  It would take a coach of considerable tactical acumen and sublime man management skills to get the best out of them, and I can't see that Bruce has either of those.

I certainly don't think it's the appointment that will appease the rift between the club and supporters.

• 2 weeks later...

Reading are a circus at the moment.  They get their first win in 14 games today, sack the manager and replace him with a man who not only last managed seven years ago, but is the father of a player they signed on loan last month.

Yep, Paul Ince is back in the game folks.

6 hours ago, Plissken said:

Reading are a circus at the moment.  They get their first win in 14 games today, sack the manager and replace him with a man who not only last managed seven years ago, but is the father of a player they signed on loan last month.

Yep, Paul Ince is back in the game folks.

It’s been a circus ever since John Madejski sold the club to a dodgy Russian con man.  It’s crazy how they went from one of the best run clubs in football to the utter shit show they are now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

South Wales Derby tomorrow.

Stress levels lower than they would have been when we were on our record breaking losing run, but reminder that no team have ever, ever done a league double and the Jacks comes to Cardiff with a 3-0 win from the first game.

3pm kick off which should make things 'lively' given we rarely ever play them later than 12.30 and nobody got to watch last years home game.

Another win for Boro, would be an amazing year if we could get promoted and England do well at the World Cup.

We look pretty assured no matter who we come up against, I'm more than confident we're the best team in the Championship, outside of the top two. Though still not entirely convinced by the keeper; for every handful times he pulls something out the bag, he manages to make a few wobbles that don't suggest reliability. 

In any case, what does it matter when we're slotting 4 goals in, on our travels. 

On 01/04/2022 at 14:04, Ork1927 said:

South Wales Derby tomorrow.

Stress levels lower than they would have been when we were on our record breaking losing run, but reminder that no team have ever, ever done a league double and the Jacks comes to Cardiff with a 3-0 win from the first game.

3pm kick off which should make things 'lively' given we rarely ever play them later than 12.30 and nobody got to watch last years home game.

Records are there for the breaking. COYJB!

15 hours ago, Nifta said:

Records are there for the breaking. COYJB!

I'm still in shock.  My son wanted us to do a co-op FA Cup yesterday and try and win it with Cardiff, but I couldn't look at even the digital versions so we went with Fulham instead (as they had Reid and Wilson and added Bale).  Nearly lost to Newcastle as I kept trying to break Shelvey's digital legs and got reduced to 9 men.

• 2 weeks later...