Tokyo Olympics 2020(1)

dino_jr

It's probably worth saying for track that the English (British?) velodromes were closed throughout all of the lockdowns, London opened for the briefest of spells September-November 2020, and then nothing until April/May 2021 this year.  I'm not sure about Manchester.  And I wonder what the facilities were like for athletes in other countries but I've no doubt these limitations would've impacted our team's training.

Derby Arena was turned into a mass vacc site.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

I've often wondered this. I was in Portugal during the 2016 Olympics and it was barely on TV. It is not a rich country, and most of it's sporting energy is devoted to football. I think you'll find Spain also underperforms compared to it's European neighbours.

It's population isn't huge either, and there have been long periods where young people left Portugal to find work abroad. I'd be interested if anyone else has an idea though?

I’m wondering more about France, one would have expected them to be better with more funding considering Paris is only three years away.

The new rights deal doesn’t seem to be working as well as intended

https://variety.com/2021/tv/global/olympics-discovery-broadcasting-coverage-europe-1235028460/#utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=social_bar&utm_content=bottom_amp&utm_id=1235028460

Six years later, however, both audiences and the International Olympic Committee (IOC) are reckoning with the repercussions of that deal as major European territories, such as the U.K. and Italy, realize all too late that it has resulted in severely limited free-to-air coverage of Tokyo 2020.

I’m sure despite the fragmented coverage the IOC would sign the same deal again in a heartbeat. Paris 2024 when there isn’t the excuse of the time difference is going to be very messy when it comes to life coverage.

One of the joys of the Olympics is tuning into something random.  I watched 15 minutes of some sort of woman's skateboarding yesterday (I know nothing about skateboarding).  All the competitors looked like they were having fun and good comradery.  It was really nice to see people behaving that way towards each other.  I went off and did something else, so it may have all turned to shit as the competition closed, but my persisting memory will be that woman's skateboarding is the most civil sport in the world.

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

The new rights deal doesn’t seem to be working as well as intended

https://variety.com/2021/tv/global/olympics-discovery-broadcasting-coverage-europe-1235028460/#utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=social_bar&utm_content=bottom_amp&utm_id=1235028460

I’m sure despite the fragmented coverage the IOC would sign the same deal again in a heartbeat. Paris 2024 when there isn’t the excuse of the time difference is going to be very messy when it comes to life coverage.

Something hilarious about Discovery paying all that money for the rights and then just forgetting to tell anyone about it. They could have driven so many subscriptions, £4 Olympics special, job's a good un.

Hopefully they have a re-think for 2024. IOC greedy as fuck though.

I’ve seen a lot of stuff that I’ve never seen before now that the Judo has finally ended.

I can accept a lot of stuff, even the faintly ridiculous competitive walking event from today. Horse dancing has it’s critics obviously.

Right now I’m watching the karate posing. This is too much. Put on a war face and make your own Kung-fu movie sound effects, win a silver medal.

Who knows about sports climbing?

In the bouldering, I watched the women's qualifying and they had to do the boulders totally sight unseen, but today I'm watching the mens final and they have been given 6 mins to assess the boulders. What gives?

Also 3 boulders rather than 4?

1 hour ago, Darwock said:

Right now I’m watching the karate posing. This is too much. Put on a war face and make your own Kung-fu movie sound effects, win a silver medal.

I had that on silent in the background, I thought it was some elaborate after event ceremony for the Karate but that was actually an event? WTF!!!

You needed the sound up to appreciate it fully I think. The best bits were when they finished their routine and just had to basically bow out, the camera always zoomed up close on their face as they gave this incredibly OTT malevolent stare to all the spectators around them (like, what you fucking looking at??)

7 hours ago, monkeydog said:

One of the joys of the Olympics is turning into something random.  I watched 15 minutes of some sort of woman's skateboarding yesterday (I know nothing about skateboarding).  All the competitors looked like they were having fun and good comradery.  It was really nice to see people behaving that way towards each other.  I went off and did something else, so it may have all turned to shit as the competition closed, but my persisting memory will be that woman's skateboarding is the most civil sport in the world.

See also the climbing. They all were standing around talking to each other about how to approach the wall. Seemed extremely good natured. 

4 hours ago, ChewMagma said:

Who knows about sports climbing?

In the bouldering, I watched the women's qualifying and they had to do the boulders totally sight unseen, but today I'm watching the mens final and they have been given 6 mins to assess the boulders. What gives?

Also 3 boulders rather than 4?

Yesterday was womens quals and today was mens finals, so I assumed it to be because of that. I didnt see mens quals so cant say for certain though.

And yeah, ditto the above. Climbing is usually way more collaborative than competitive (even at international event level) so it's not surprising to see them immediately start discussing their theories about how to solve a certain problem the moment they hit the mat. Also enjoy the massive deja vu of seeing them all doing the hand-motions while staring up into the air. :D

As an aside, a lot of discussion from the commentators about the route-setting philosophy for the games, seems like they're going balls out and trying to build something that would challenge the strongest in the field. Don't think they've ever mentioned what font grade the lead climb might get if it was a regular route down your local centre, however. Must be a 9-something.

The walking is definitely a ridiculous event (especially in the early stages where they’re all doing comedy walks in a big pack), although they do get through 50k a good hour faster than I can run a marathon.

I saw the Canadian bronze medalist  when I was in Vancouver four years ago, as he trains on the same big stretch of riverside walk they hold Parkrun on.

19 hours ago, monkeydog said:

One of the joys of the Olympics is tuning into something random.  I watched 15 minutes of some sort of woman's skateboarding yesterday (I know nothing about skateboarding).  All the competitors looked like they were having fun and good comradery.  It was really nice to see people behaving that way towards each other.  I went off and did something else, so it may have all turned to shit as the competition closed, but my persisting memory will be that woman's skateboarding is the most civil sport in the world.

Yeah. And the time zone actually works out nicely for me; with a two month old baby I’m awake for 30 min at a time three or for times a night as he gets fed, and it’s nice having random Olympic events to tune into! Sometimes it works out great, as I got to see the start and and of the race walk, but you occasionally get thr odd stinker when there’s only golf on or something.

The last few laps summed the race up, they totally dominated and did everything perfectly. Great to watch, I think I see how the madison is supposed to work now!

The Modern Pentathlon was hard to watch just then. The German girl couldn't convince her horse to jump anything... She's as distraught as the horse by the looks of it 

What the fuck they are even thinking in trying to force a horse to do something that it is clearly in distress about I'll never know. I get the concept of randomly selecting a horse and rider combination but surely there has to be a better way.

You're not going to like this, but here goes.

Modern pentathlon was invented for the first games after  WW1 to represent an officer and his actions during the war at the front.  Part of which, was to take a random horse and ride across country back to HQ to deliver a message. The idea being that an accomplished rider could ride any horse in an emergency and be a hero. 

I reality, it means that rich nations can't train their horses to jump better than the less rich nations, it can takes years to form a relationship with a horse so that it will happily let you get on it and jump stuff. The horses are drawn by lottery and the rider has half an hour i think to get to know the horse. Horses will jump naturally, they do enjoy it. This is a test of the rider and their ability to form a bond with the horse. 

I get that.  But it was clear that the horse was in distress.  There is nothing to be gained in forcing it to do something it doesn't want to do, and can cause damage to it in the future.

I've not seen it, so I assume she just stopped eventually.  

Obviously there are things in place to stop animal abuse, but the idea it that a rider takes an unknown horse and rides it to victory. By either cajoling it or force of will.

Sometimes a horse just needs to clear a few jumps to get going.  As she was leading the competition at that point, i suppose she was just trying to bully the horse over the jumps. On another day the horse could have probably just got on with it, she was unfortunate that today this horse wasn't in the mood for jumping.

Looking at the pictures now, i think her frustration and desperation as the gold slips away just builds up and the horse feeds off that.

11 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

I've not seen it, so I assume she just stopped eventually.  

Obviously there are things in place to stop animal abuse, but the idea it that a rider takes an unknown horse and rides it to victory. By either cajoling it or force of will.

Sometimes a horse just needs to clear a few jumps to get going.  As she was leading the competition at that point, i suppose she was just trying to bully the horse over the jumps. On another day the horse could have probably just got on with it, she was unfortunate that today this horse wasn't in the mood for jumping.

Looking at the pictures now, i think her frustration and desperation as the gold slips away just builds up and the horse feeds off that.

What happened for the other rider riding the same horse?

This is the report from eurosport. I think it's a rider / horse pairing rather than a pool of horses. 

"Schleu wasn’t the only modern pentathlete to experience despair in the show jumping. Italy’s Elena Micheli was twice ejected from the saddle by Cristbal 21, who also charged through one fence with no attempt clear it, while Brazil’s Ieda Guimaraes suffered a similar fate on Caleansiena"