Tokyo Olympics 2020(1)

dino_jr

The best thing about the Olympics full stop is seeing the moment when people realise what they have achieved and that is why I try to watch as much as possible. It is a good positive thing to experience even if only vicariously.

58 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

The best thing about the Olympics full stop is seeing the moment when people realise what they have achieved and that is why I try to watch as much as possible. It is a good positive thing to experience even if only vicariously.

They replayed the Kelly Holmes 2004 "Fucking 'ell, I've actually done it" moment last night and that still gets to me.

One of the others that sticks with me is one of the rowers in London (Helen somebody?) crossing the line and mouthing "Bloody hell, we've just won the Olympics!"

1 hour ago, Swallow said:

Johnson-Thompson injured and disqualified in the 200m. She was fifth after the first three events.

edit: Steve Cram just said she has withdrawn from the competition.

Amazed at how many BBC pundits and commentators, many of whom are former athletes, can’t tell the difference between a left and right leg. They were even talking about her left achilles having gone again while she was hopping toward the finish line on her left leg.

1 hour ago, Nick R said:

As for people who gamed the system to make it in despite not being of the expected standard, there was Elizabeth Swaney in the skiing halfpipe at the 2018 winter Olympics

Thanks for that - incredible. I think my overriding question is still 'whyyyy?!' but I do have to admire the determination and guile. A true successor to Eddie the Eagle because apparently they actually considered another qualifying criteria change after her antics!

42 minutes ago, Pete said:

Live climbing on red button now, yay!

The Slovenians bouldering was next level, should be a good final event.

I've been watching it all on Discovery+ but thought I'd check out some BBC coverage and just like almost everything else they stick online it has the bit rate of an early 2000s RealVideo file. 

3 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

I've been watching it all on Discovery+ but thought I'd check out some BBC coverage and just like almost everything else they stick online it has the bit rate of an early 2000s real video. 

Looks HD to me, might be your internet

22 minutes ago, Pete said:

According to the website stream, they're only outputting 720p @ 920kbps, for comparison a Discovery+ 720p stream is 3717kbps and 1080p is 6192kbps. To make Discovery+ look as bad as BBC I need to choose 640x360. Pride of the nation at work there.

They do it for the Formula E qualifying too with the red button stream looking significantly worse than other sources.

Fuck sake, didnt realise they'd moved the rest of the climbing over to red-button.

As an aside, I wonder if the competitors have altered their training a bit to emphasise their power to mass ratio for the speed climbing part? Only wonder because I'm sure I remember Coxsey being a lot more heavily built back in the day than here.

edit:

Found it on iplayer. :)

Tell you what, the audience participation is better than I thought it might be.

edit:

Bloody hell though, didnt realise the conditions where what they are. 28-29c is rough for this kind of sport.

Also think I remember the US competitor, Robotou, as being one of the latest upcoming kid prodigies to have gotten international attention at around the time I stopped engaging with climbing regularly. Just to age myself there. 

Quite like the way they've settled on the scoring system too. Interesting way of handling it.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

For me the video quality of the BBC coverage has been very variable. I think that either they are using lower quality / bandwidth provision for some events or their encoder simply doesn't cope with some stuff. For example, the marathon swimming earlier looked dreadful in closer shots and fine at longer range, which I suspect was down to the amount of noise in the picture introduced by the close ups of churning water and spray giving the encoder a much harder time.

I only just twigged today what really happened with our cycling boys.  I knew Tanfield was in the crash, half forgot he was travelling reserve, then googled why he was riding.  Ed Clancy retired for good.  End of an era :(  

He isn’t as well known as other names in cycling, a lot of people start in track as youngsters and move onto road (Geraint Thomas, Brad Wiggins and Mark Cavendish all prime examples, and our ladies Laura then Trott, Dani King and Jo Rowsell all had stints on the road too).  There are some who stay on track though - usually sprinters without a true parallel in road racing.  

Ed I’ve followed for years, he still stayed Mr Track really, but he did participate in road racing although largely on the GB only circuit.  The reason he was so good at Pursuit was because he had the power of a sprinter who could eat up the first kilometre, then recover through the next couple, before still having enough in the tank to be a powerhouse for the final stretch. 

Sad :( 

It seems very silly to me that the official table is determined solely on golds rather than some weighted score, even if that heavily favours gold. We've been miles ahead of Australia, for example, for ages by any other metric. It seems odd, and contrary to the spirit of the whole thing, that silvers are effectively worthless for a country's ranking.

I'm slightly out - there is a small amount of federal funding, but mainly it is schools and universities first followed by sponsors.  There is no central sport "Ministry" like most countries have, so no Governmental control of sporting bodies.

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

The climbing was excellent.  There is a Slovenia - Janja Garnbret - who just made the bouldering look totally effortless. 

Janja is amazing, last World Cup season she won every round of bouldering - flashing the majority. It’d be a huge upset if she didn’t win gold.

10 hours ago, Plissken said:

Your suggestion is only used by the Americans which consistently - and not coincidentally - always puts them at the top.

'If Americans do it then it's bad' isn't a terrible rule of thumb but I'm not sure it's a universal truth either.

10 hours ago, Pete said:

Clearly the best is medals per capita.

Meanwhile, this is excellent. I wondered about a weighted medal score per capita and that exists too (because, you know, the internet):

https://www.medalspercapita.com/#weighted-per-capita:2020

Actually quite similar though.

55 minutes ago, ckny said:

Is there a reason some countries are so bafflingly poor in Olympic events like this? Incredible that Portugal have only ever won 5 gold medals.

I've often wondered this. I was in Portugal during the 2016 Olympics and it was barely on TV. It is not a rich country, and most of it's sporting energy is devoted to football. I think you'll find Spain also underperforms compared to it's European neighbours.

It's population isn't huge either, and there have been long periods where young people left Portugal to find work abroad. I'd be interested if anyone else has an idea though?

1 hour ago, ckny said:
Is there a reason some countries are so bafflingly poor in Olympic events like this? Incredible that Portugal have only ever won 5 gold medals.

I think you can look at Team GB for much of the answer. In Atlanta 1996 we won just a single gold, on a population six times the size of Portugal's. It's been a steady upward trajectory since then, to our current peak of success, and the difference has been largely money, with the new National Lottery funding kicking in the year after. There are many other factors - e.g. success undoubtedly begets further success, as interest in the sport in question is boosted etc. - but I'm pretty sure that funding is no. 1 by a distance.

Funding and access (which ties into funding too).

South Africa no longer has an indoor velodrome (Bellville not open anymore) for example, so there’s just no facility for their athletes to actually train this stuff properly, which is mad when you consider that they actually do produce some very talented cyclists.  There’s probably not even one in all of Africa?