Jump to content
IGNORED

Steam Deck (handheld from Valve)


QuackQuack
 Share

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

Last few pages of the thread really fuck with the 'it just works' message so heavily promoted regarding this device.

 

For most games it does just work. I've personally had zero issues with green tick games.

 

It's only when you try extra stuff GoG, Epic. Unsupported, etc that you have to do more jiggery pokery. 

 

I will say again, I like to tinker and see what is what. But when I just want to play, I can 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Haribokart said:

Last few pages of the thread really fuck with the 'it just works' message so heavily promoted regarding this device.

 

Selection bias.

 

"I downloaded the game that they said was supported and it worked" is not a post likely to be made.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All my posts were clearly typed in invisible ink.

 

The headline is: If you use the STEAM deck to play STEAM games that are classified by STEAM to work on the STEAM deck then STEAM games on the STEAM DECK will 9.75 times out of 10 work

 

If you try and do other stuff and use it as a PC, then guess what you gotta fiddle on it like a PC! And not just any PC, a Linux one! Because thats what it is. Installing Linux on the PS3 didn't stop it being a PS3. Alternatively, you can just install windows on it because you know, its a PC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Uzi said:

The headline is: If you use the STEAM deck to play STEAM games that are classified by STEAM to work on the STEAM deck then STEAM games on the STEAM DECK will 9.75 times out of 10 work

 

Sure, but initial reports were a bit mis-leading, if you ask me. "Steam Deck, the portable PC gaming experience" or "Valve announces Steam Deck handheld for PC games" or even the only four weeks old headline https://www.pcgamer.com/this-steam-deck-app-pulls-major-game-launchers-into-a-single-library/ suggest that even outside Steam it would be a breeze to play stuff, which clearly isn't the case. 

I like the device, very much so. But I do have my doubts concerning expectation management. On my actual gaming PC I don't have any of the issues mentioned before.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Picked up Steep on Steam for a fiver and, at least after a few minutes dicking around, it plays really well on the deck. Seems a perfect fit for portable too, just firing it up to snowboard down a mountain. Grabbed vampire survivors and the team ladybug bundle too but not played them yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry to raise the question again, but if I wanted to play a PS3 game via the PS3 emulator, do I just put them in separate folders in the ROMs directory? What files should be at the root of that ROMs/GameName directory? 

 

Oh - and any idea how to add art to the main display so when I'm selecting, say, Epic Games Store it's not blank (I have changed the art on the icon in properties).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bm said:

Sorry to raise the question again, but if I wanted to play a PS3 game via the PS3 emulator, do I just put them in separate folders in the ROMs directory? What files should be at the root of that ROMs/GameName directory? 

 

Oh - and any idea how to add art to the main display so when I'm selecting, say, Epic Games Store it's not blank (I have changed the art on the icon in properties).

 

Now I've actually fucked around with Emudeck (and it's lovingly moved my existing games to the SD card, very nice!), I can confirm what happens:

 

You don't put anything in the ROMS folder. It will quite literally do nothing, as it needs to be unpacked by RPCS3 before it's even recognised.

 

Instead, you load up RPCS3 from the desktop mode, and you install games from there. It adds them to the list, and the installed data ends up in the saves folder on your SD card (because game data and saves are kept in the same space, because that's what the PS3 does - known as HDD0).

 

When you run Steam ROM manager, it skims that save folder automatically for games, and job done.

 

As for artwork, I believe it's done while in desktop mode - you right click the game in the library while it's the dvd case shape, then manage, then set custom artwork.

 

Think you can also use Steam ROM manager or BoilR to skim that for you as well, but I'm not well versed to know much about that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Siri said:

 

Now I've actually fucked around with Emudeck (and it's lovingly moved my existing games to the SD card, very nice!), I can confirm what happens:

 

You don't put anything in the ROMS folder. It will quite literally do nothing, as it needs to be unpacked by RPCS3 before it's even recognised.

 

Instead, you load up RPCS3 from the desktop mode, and you install games from there. It adds them to the list, and the installed data ends up in the saves folder on your SD card (because game data and saves are kept in the same space, because that's what the PS3 does - known as HDD0).

 

When you run Steam ROM manager, it skims that save folder automatically for games, and job done.

 

As for artwork, I believe it's done while in desktop mode - you right click the game in the library while it's the dvd case shape, then manage, then set custom artwork.

 

Think you can also use Steam ROM manager or BoilR to skim that for you as well, but I'm not well versed to know much about that.

 

I really appreciate that advice, thank you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anyone know (or has tried) getting Wind Waker HD set up on Cemu, but making the game recognise a Wii U Controller rather than the screen switching please?

 

Struggling to get PS2 and DC setup with the bios too, and haven't tested a few others such as Yuzu or Epic Games Store yet. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, alex3d said:

EmuDeck is amazing. Simple as that. SF: 3rd Strike or Crazy Taxi on Steam Deck 😍

 

Do PS3 and 360 games run on it too (via Emudeck)?

 

PS3 games do - although PS3 games can be funny depending on how you get them. If it's a PKG/RAP combination from PSN, you need to install it from RPCS3 (which should already be installed via Emudeck if you picked it).

 

360 games aren't quite ready as there's no official Linux version of Xenia - but neither is Cemu (the WiiU emulator), which everyone's been running on the Deck through Proton. I know Emudeck was planning to set Xenia up like Cemu in a future build, there's already some notes on it in the GitHub.

 

As for fighting games - a lot of them require ProtonGE because of video codecs, and the FGC scene is in a bit of a lull due to the pandemic, so I couldn't recommend anything in good faith without getting a big discount first. Especially when everything has a pile of season passes by now.

 

I can exclusively confirm Footsies works alright, mind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So. I've never managed to get Magical Drop V to work on PC. Installed it on the off chance in the Deck and just worked without issue and no changing anything. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I decided to download Tekken 7, to see what the problem is that causes it to be unsupported and I had the game already.

 

It highlights the problem is has with Valve's testing criteria, because.. I'm not actually sure what the problem is that causes it to be unsupported. It booted into the game, it showed the intro video, and after dialling the default settings down to Medium I played a few rounds of Treasure Battle just fine.

 

I'm guessing it must have crashed at some point, or there's problems with Online (which considering it's primary a Wifi device, isn't a great idea in the first place, but that's down to preference and is a valid reason to be marked down).

 

Although I will say that 80gb for a fighting game takes the piss and I'd rather fill that space up with 160 copies of Dong Dong Never Die, mind :hmm:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/05/2022 at 17:15, Siri said:

 

Now I've actually fucked around with Emudeck (and it's lovingly moved my existing games to the SD card, very nice!), I can confirm what happens:

 

You don't put anything in the ROMS folder. It will quite literally do nothing, as it needs to be unpacked by RPCS3 before it's even recognised.

 

Instead, you load up RPCS3 from the desktop mode, and you install games from there. It adds them to the list, and the installed data ends up in the saves folder on your SD card (because game data and saves are kept in the same space, because that's what the PS3 does - known as HDD0).

 

When you run Steam ROM manager, it skims that save folder automatically for games, and job done.

 

As for artwork, I believe it's done while in desktop mode - you right click the game in the library while it's the dvd case shape, then manage, then set custom artwork.

 

Think you can also use Steam ROM manager or BoilR to skim that for you as well, but I'm not well versed to know much about that.

 

Apologies for using you as tech support on RPCS3 - but quick question. Once I've added the game to RPCS3 by pointing it at the folder, and it then running through the set-up (in this case, it's currently "compiling PPU modules"- you mention it then sits in my saves folder of the SD card; does that mean I can delete the original folder, do you know? Sorry! Thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

think that's how it works - you can always test it out by moving the files into another folder first before deleting it altogether, as moving to a folder should be enough to break any link to it.

 

I would guess it depends on what you're installing, mind - I'm only used to using PKG/RAP files, which definitely does nothing by themselves. If it's an actual folder containing an EBOOT, it might be different because that's what a standard PKG would end up being when it's unpacked, if you catch my drift.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Siri said:

think that's how it works - you can always test it out by moving the files into another folder first before deleting it altogether, as moving to a folder should be enough to break any link to it.

 

I would guess it depends on what you're installing, mind - I'm only used to using PKG/RAP files, which definitely does nothing by themselves. If it's an actual folder containing an EBOOT, it might be different because that's what a standard PKG would end up being when it's unpacked, if you catch my drift.

 

This is correct. PKGs are essentially installers and can be deleted / backed up after installation. Anything with a folder structure containing an EBOOT.ELF are disc images, which need to stay as is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, alex3d said:

Ah, that's too bad. Cheers though. Will keep on playing SF:3rd Strike on DC then.

 

I have a ton of the best fighting games playing through final burn neo emulator. 

 

Also SF5 runs perfect and is less than £5 over at Eneba. 

 

Also have an older Blazblue game I paid a quid for at Eneba as well. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, alex3d said:

Anyone know if I can reduce details or so in Timesplitters 2 (PCSX2 / Emudeck)? Runs a bit slow.

 

The problem with emudeck is that for the newer consoles you can't use a hotkey to go into settings. Quite annoying tbh. 

 

They have it set up for optimal play for most games but some games require tinkering on a game by game basis. 

 

If you want to change something then open the standalone app via desktop and run your game that way and go to settings. Usually just altering the resolution helps things. Or playing the pal ROM as it's 50hz. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Ry said:

 

The problem with emudeck is that for the newer consoles you can't use a hotkey to go into settings. Quite annoying tbh. 

 

They have it set up for optimal play for most games but some games require tinkering on a game by game basis. 

 

If you want to change something then open the standalone app via desktop and run your game that way and go to settings. Usually just altering the resolution helps things. Or playing the pal ROM as it's 50hz. 

 

Thanks. Will the new settings carry over to Emudeck in Gaming Mode then?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, alex3d said:

 

Thanks. Will the new settings carry over to Emudeck in Gaming Mode then?

 

I'm not sure. I don't want to mess about too much with it in case it fucks everything up :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got the email to say that mine has now shipped. Is it around 7 days for it to arrive? Would I be able to adjust the delivery date? Sure I read way earlier in the thread that you could do this. Don't want it ending up being delivered to my psycho neighbour 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Hawklord said:

Got the email to say that mine has now shipped. Is it around 7 days for it to arrive? Would I be able to adjust the delivery date? Sure I read way earlier in the thread that you could do this. Don't want it ending up being delivered to my psycho neighbour 

Does the courier have a change the delivery address option like Amazon?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you're in the UK, yes, it's about 7 days for delivery. Probably more this week because of the bank holiday.

 

You'll get a message from Parcelforce to change delivery date and/or to leave it at the post office/depot for collection.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, davidcotton said:

Does the courier have a change the delivery address option like Amazon?

 

Not that I can see yet, it's not been collected but I have a tracking number for GLS

 

27 minutes ago, Siri said:

If you're in the UK, yes, it's about 7 days for delivery. Probably more this week because of the bank holiday.

 

You'll get a message from Parcelforce to change delivery date and/or to leave it at the post office/depot for collection.

Cheers, hopefully this will update in the next few days. Happy to wait a bit longer. And yes I'm in the UK

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.