IGNORED

Steam Deck (handheld from Valve)

QuackQuack

TBH, I always thought SD cards were temperamental anyway, even without taking into account knock-off cards.

I'm pretty sure when this thread first started, my language was something along the lines of 'If I can't change the SSD, I'm not buying this', and that was primarily because I've had decent brand SD cards shit themselves in the past, and having to rely on them when the SSD's health goes south doesn't sound like a great time.

But hey, that's not the case, so that's good.

17 minutes ago, Siri said:

TBH, I always thought SD cards were temperamental anyway, even without taking into account knock-off cards.

I'm pretty sure when this thread first started, my language was something along the lines of 'If I can't change the SSD, I'm not buying this', and that was primarily because I've had decent brand SD cards shit themselves in the past, and having to rely on them when the SSD's health goes south doesn't sound like a great time.

But hey, that's not the case, so that's good.

Yeah as soon as I can get someone to help, I'll be upgrading teh SSD for sure. Just so the only thing on the MicroSD is games. 

Anybody had issues with Heroic Launcher and xemu with the last couple of updates in desktop mode?

Heroic launcher just won't launch since the update the other day and xemu just updated and it is like the buttons, triggers etc are just disabled...pressing buttons just don't do anything so cant play anything, tried with Halo and Hulk Ultimate Destruction which were working great.

Also, on desktop, I need to click right trigger now for left click mouse, pad doesn't do it anymore, left trigger for right click...i mean, this feels great, but it is since this changed that nothing bloody works.

Yeah, I noticed that something was up with the desktop controls. Feels like they're trying to make the left trackpad more useful as a scroll wheel like the OG Steam Controller, but I miss having a mouse click on it.

Tbh, I should just go into Steam and change the desktop controls to just be an Xbox controller and mouse controls like before, maybe add an action layer to evoke the keyboard and whatever else I regularly use. It's just weird that they've changed it now.

I haven't had problems with loading heroic, although I've only logged into it so I can purge the games and remove it altogether and try and sort out some more internal space. Same with Lutris, which is currently a chocolate teapot in my experience - which is bizarre, because it's fantastic on a standard Linux machine.

On 19/05/2022 at 15:08, Strafe said:

Possibly a stupid question but here we go.

If I buy the steam key for MGSV on cdkeys for £4.99 is there any difference between it and the one on steam itself for £24.99?

Ive used cdkeys for Xbox games and ps plus etc but the world of PC’s is brand new to me.

It was £5.99 on cdkeys by the way.

I have just seen that the definitive experience, which includes Ground Zeroes and a whole bunch of DLC is only £4.49, so I fucked up there a little.

19 hours ago, bradigor said:

My 1TB card came and doesn't work :( 

Not a Steam Deck issue either as doesn't get read in my PC either.

Is it the right type of SSD? You've got m2 and mSATA and sometimes they'll both fit in the same slot but only one will work.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

Is it the right type of SSD? You've got m2 and mSATA and sometimes they'll both fit in the same slot but only one will work.

It's a micro SD I can't fi fit an SSD myself.

https://wccftech.com/rpcs3-latest-updates-bring-major-performance-improvements-for-metal-gear-solid-4-red-dead-redemption-and-persona-5/amp/

Good news for us lot, surely? Is the RPCS3 Linux version updated at the same time, does anyone know? 

P5 plays really well already to be fair, but any additional honing will be a bonus. Tempted to get hold of MGS4 now too... playing 5 at the moment and it's excellent.

I can get a SD 512 GB at retail price - the guy got it in early March. Should I get it? What if it has the fan noise / whine issue (he says it doesnt)? My 64GB pre-order status is "October or later" :(

I personally think the fan issue is highly subjective, and lends heavily into what you actually want to play. Any deck will go like the clappers trying to run Ghostwire Tokyo at the best (unstable) framerate it can go.

But anyway, there's been updates to improve the fan curve, tape modifications devised by modders to improve the pitch by directing the air flow differently, there's this party applications to set a manual fan curve, you can cap the TDP on certain power-hungry games to keep it in check and ifixit's spares are imminent as they put up the store front by accident overnight. There's plenty to be done about a noisy fan.

At the end of the day, you've got to decide if it's worth getting it now in exchange for Valve potentially revoking a free RMA if anything goes wrong with it, even within warranty - not just the fan, either.

1 hour ago, alex3d said:

I can get a SD 512 GB at retail price - the guy got it in early March. Should I get it? What if it has the fan noise / whine issue (he says it doesnt)? My 64GB pre-order status is "October or later" :(

Fuck yes. Worst case scenario, you don’t like it and you can sell it second hand for cost price, which I think is reasonable considering the eye watering prices on eBay.

1 hour ago, alex3d said:

Absolutely, even 64Gb ones are going for ridiculous prices. 

11 hours ago, bradigor said:

A 1TB SD? Christ. How much did that set you back?!

On 21/05/2022 at 11:13, bradigor said:

Have you formatted it on you Steam deck? 
I wrongly assumed my SD card would automatically be seen and could install games to it. 

I had to switch over to desktop mode and format the card before it could be seen in regular mode.  

1 minute ago, bignige said:

Have you formatted it on you Steam deck? 
I wrongly assumed my SD card would automatically be seen and could install games to it. 

I had to switch over to desktop mode and format the card before it could be seen in regular mode.  

Yep tried and that failed also on the deck  (in desktop mode) and PC 

I read something on Era about the Deck corrupting SD cards if it somehow goes into sleep mode during the formatting. Likely not relevant here, but an indication of how flakey this OS continues to be.

I have a reservation for a 256gb that I was most likely to sell but a friend of mine has offered me his 64gb version plus a memory card for £400. 

I'm off on holiday in a week's time and I feel I need to buy it. 😅

Incorrect.

You are now an Arch Linux guy. You have privileges. Mostly, being a fucking snob.

image.png.c4c8610e0d662e635dbcf9103429a9a1.png

Edit - might as well post a dear diary update.

Bashed my hand today, right on the thumb so a tiny bit of bruising under the nail. I was a bit sad as I had holiday coming up and I wanted to play videogames, but I remembered I could just map buttons to the Deck's paddle buttons and quite happily play games.

And then lunchtime came around, and I just played Ridge Racer 7 with a banged up thumb anyway :facepalm:

8 minutes ago, AlexM said:

Has this replaced other consoles for anyone? So many YouTube reviews claim it has become their ‘main gaming device’.

I'd hate to knee-jerk like that, because at the end of the day it's a shiny new thing to play videogames on until the next shiny thing to play videogames on.

But to put it in perspective, PC became my main way to play games back in the post 360/PS3 days - I dabble in exclusives when the consoles and games are cheap, but if a game I want to play is on PC at a reasonable price, I just jump at it.

I simply haven't turned on my main PC since having the deck - it's all the games I have on my PC, but in a more accessible and in-your-face format that no HTPC project I've ever bothered to do has attained.

24 minutes ago, AlexM said:

Has this replaced other consoles for anyone? So many YouTube reviews claim it has become their ‘main gaming device’.

I've honestly not touched anything else since getting mine. 

35 minutes ago, AlexM said:

My switch is in the bin

(plastic storage bin)