IGNORED

Steam Deck (handheld from Valve)

QuackQuack

4 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Possibly a stupid question but here we go.

If I buy the steam key for MGSV on cdkeys for £4.99 is there any difference between it and the one on steam itself for £24.99?

Ive used cdkeys for Xbox games and ps plus etc but the world of PC’s is brand new to me.

Not really except you get a code to put into Steam to unlock it rather than it just appearing in your library when you buy direct from Steam.

Just watch for region on the code being sold

Cheers! It was an EU/UK code so now sat in my library along with a bunch of others including Titanfall 2 which I’ve just bought for the third time.

Total Steamdeck newbie here and mulling over putting in a pre-order, currently trying to reactivate my Steam account though as it's been dormant for several years.

Couple of questions though.

Looking to go for the middle option with the 256gb, suits my price range but is the extra storage worth stretching to?

How much do you have to out down for the reservation?

Site says expected delivery would be October which would be spot on for me, how realistic is that?

Yes if only for the shadercache / compatdata folders that take up so much space on my 64gb SSD 

I am going to have to get mine upgraded if I can find someone to do it for me. (I am blind so can't do myself) 

Also £5 deposit.

8 minutes ago, memories said:

Total Steamdeck newbie here and mulling over putting in a pre-order, currently trying to reactivate my Steam account though as it's been dormant for several years.

Couple of questions though.

Looking to go for the middle option with the 256gb, suits my price range but is the extra storage worth stretching to?

How much do you have to out down for the reservation?

Site says expected delivery would be October which would be spot on for me, how realistic is that?

I don't own one but..

More storage is nice (I've just ordered the 512 myself). But my reading suggested your choice is probably the sweet spot really. SD cards will take care of any additional. And internal storage can be upgraded yourself I believe.

£4 is the deposit.

Whether October is accurate is hard for anyone to say. They're still working through the original pre-ordered now not new orders. But given they now know their own delivery pace I suspect it could be a little pessimistic or accurate.

22 minutes ago, memories said:

It says "October or later" and you can expect it to be much, much later - at this point Valve can tell you if a Deck will arrive in Q2, Q3, or After Q3. 

After Q3 is a very, very long time.

I have an order placed in August of last year, for the same model you're looking at, that is currently After Q3.

Cheers folks, appreciate the advice.

I can live with it being later than October to be honest, planning it as a birthday/Xmas present so that's not an issue.

Just need to get my account sorted and will stick in an order.

44 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Oh I could go through Titanfall 2 again. Is the online still active or is it dead?

I think there are still reasonable numbers on console, I have no idea about steam but I’ll be checking that out once I get it.  (Assuming multiplayer works, no idea if that anti cheat thing affects it.) It was also getting DDOS’d a lot a while back, so no idea if that’s still the case.

Regardless, it’s £3.99 and ‘playable’ status on deck.

Urgh, just had to factory reset my Deck. Moved my shadercache and compatdata folders back to ssd and none of my games load, nor do they cloud sync. Will download just 1 or two games until my new SD Card arrives. Also, not bother with EmuDeck or anything aside from ProtonUp until my SSD gets upgraded so I can maximise space without fiddling

Loving the deck, fair bit of IPS glow on mine though. Just along the top edge. Unfortunately quite visible when looking head on it.

Can someone please say their deck has plenty ips glow too to make me feel better :)

Online on Titanfall 2 is in heavy decline and you'll be fucked to bits attempting to play on pad in PC lobbies with the hyper skilled player base, but it does have a small community still going. 

I preordered a 512gb at 18:15 on the day preorders opened and got the email to purchase on Monday.

Friend of mine ordered a 256gb the same day at 18:55 and got his email today.

So I’m assuming that, currently, they are making a lot more 256’s and you’d get that quicker than the top end model. (This seems more likely than the other scenario of hardly anyone ordering a 256)

6 hours ago, bradigor said:

Yes if only for the shadercache / compatdata folders that take up so much space on my 64gb SSD 

I am going to have to get mine upgraded if I can find someone to do it for me. (I am blind so can't do myself) 

Also £5 deposit.

I thought the 64GB one was eMMC? There’s no 64GB SSD option is there?

5 hours ago, Strafe said:

I think there are still reasonable numbers on console, I have no idea about steam but I’ll be checking that out once I get it.  (Assuming multiplayer works, no idea if that anti cheat thing affects it.) It was also getting DDOS’d a lot a while back, so no idea if that’s still the case.

Regardless, it’s £3.99 and ‘playable’ status on deck.

People have created a new client to support player-hosted servers now, although they lacked the AI bots when I last read up about it (but they were working on that). This was to overcome the constant DDoS and the fact that EA/Respawn didn't care to bother fixing their broken code.

Finally got around to setting up PS Remote Play with PS5 and it works brilliantly, feels like playing the games natively but no fan noise and 5hr battery life.

Steam Games + PS Remote Play + Emulation makes this device ideal for so many situations.

12 minutes ago, DarkCrisis said:

Finally got around to setting up PS Remote Play with PS5 and it works brilliantly, feels like playing the games natively but no fan noise and 5hr battery life.

Steam Games + PS Remote Play + Emulation makes this device ideal for so many situations.

Silly questions but does remote play mean you need to have good wifi. 

12 minutes ago, yakumo said:

Silly questions but does remote play mean you need to have good wifi. 

Depends what you mean by Wi-Fi, if you mean internet speed then no as it’s all on your local network, I have my PS5 connected to my router via Ethernet cable and Steam connected over Wi-Fi to same router and it was flawless with the 2hrs I tried it out.

7 hours ago, watusi said:

Loving the deck, fair bit of IPS glow on mine though. Just along the top edge. Unfortunately quite visible when looking head on it.

Can someone please say their deck has plenty ips glow too to make me feel better :)

Yeah, I've got it pretty much all around the screen (day 1 model), but I can only notice it when turning on.  In gameplay I can't notice a thing.  

34 minutes ago, DarkCrisis said:

Depends what you mean by Wi-Fi, if you mean internet speed then no as it’s all on your local network, I have my PS5 connected to my router via Ethernet cable and Steam connected over Wi-Fi to same router and it was flawless with the 2hrs I tried it out.

OK I need to look into this, so if someone is downloading it wouldn't affect streaming?. Is there a video explaining how to set this up?

My steam deck has arrived in the Uk with a delivery marked for…Monday. Some dude on reddit said he was able to pick up from the depot before then so I’m going to give that a go once it’s there.

FYI: There's a new SteamOS Beta update which adds a couple of new things (percentage next to the battery indicator, more internal resolutions for games to switch to, gain staging fixed to remove white noise on the 3.5mm jack and a revised fan profile).

However, I wouldn't recommend switching to it yet and waiting for a hotfix - People are reporting units not booting up properly after updating, and the fan curve being worse after updating.

Something to consider before you start playing some videogames this weekend, anyway. It's not like it will stop you accessing games by not updating.

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

I can connect Bluetooth earphones to the deck, right? Could I connect my Xbox wireless headset?

It's what I do!

I think it gets a little glitchy if there's two audio sources (basically having the Xbox on to watch/listen to YouTube/Twitch), but I think that's more Bluetooth just being a bit shit in general (it also happens between Xbox and Tablet, too). It's fine most of the time.