IGNORED

Steam Deck (handheld from Valve)

QuackQuack

To save another hour arguing over a thirty minute video:

- Deck smashes everything up to Dreamcast even with resolution scaling, including Beetle Saturn, because of course it does

- PS2 is generally fine, save a couple of games which are problematic for PCSX2 anyway

- Dolphin (GC) and MelonDS (NDS) work great

- Anything beyond that or currently being worked on actively (Yuzu, Cemu, RPCS3, XEMU) is spotty because it's still in flux, and you also start getting into the question of 'why aren't you running the native PC version?'.

- x4 scaling is good enough for anything before PS2, x2 at most for that gen, thanks to the 800p screen. 

I'm not entirely sure why Russ was using XEMU for Xbox, though - the community has pretty much moved on from it and primarily uses CXBX-Reloaded, which has come on leaps and bounds. Makes me wonder if he's using the latest PCSX2 too, as more recent developments are also making big strides (Thanks to the Duckstation developer, who joined the team after Retroarch developers were being dickheads to him)

In all: good, will run Plumbers Don't Wear Ties by Q2

Everything just looks fantastic on it doesn't it.

Game boy Advance, PSP, 8 bit, 16 bit, Dolphin and PCSX2 all look beautiful on that smaller screen. Add in the ergonomics and the full size controllers and you have a fantastic experience.

Damn, I can't believe I'm taking a look at this video regarding [handheld linux device] playing Nintendo games.

In case it gets copyright struck - some GC games run a little weird, Wii/3DS/Wii U games run fine, light 3D Switch games work fine but Odyssey isn't running very well. Might be down to configuration - give it some time with more hands on [handheld linux device] to figure out some optimisations.

Anyway, here's PC-Gaming.it playing the brand new Ghostwire: Tokyo on the Steam Deck, which is a completely different device:

Looks like an unstable-but-playable 60fps, or a solid 30fps. I'd imagine futzing around with the TSR setting and dropping the resolution will help, but it's still fantastic to see modern games run with little fuss.

On 21/03/2022 at 06:58, Siri said:

I'm not entirely sure why Russ was using XEMU for Xbox, though - the community has pretty much moved on from it and primarily uses CXBX-Reloaded, which has come on leaps and bounds. Makes me wonder if he's using the latest PCSX2 too, as more recent developments are also making big strides (Thanks to the Duckstation developer, who joined the team after Retroarch developers were being dickheads to him)

Thread derail, but what is the deal with Xbox emulation now then, has it improved much in the past few months?

And what's the story behind the bolded?

6 hours ago, Gabe said:

Thread derail, but what is the deal with Xbox emulation now then, has it improved much in the past few months?

And what's the story behind the bolded?

To keep it short before I get to work:

Xbox emulation has improved recently, although it's more over the last couple of years. It's still highly dependant on which emulator you run, but at the very least Patreon money means that someone has been working on it with dedicated hours.

As for Duckstation/Stenzek, it's effectively in indefinite hiatus because of harassment by the Retroarch team and using non-public code and accrediting themselves for it. 

You based in the UK, @Cyhwuhx?

I been sniffing around some steam deck order date calculators, and there's a chance my unit will land during the bank holiday weekend, so I'll probably end up getting it the following Tuesday :facepalm:

well, that's if the calculator isn't full of baloney and I'm getting it in June.

Nah, I'm Dutch. Considering these units are all being sent from Tilburg in the Netherlands, delivery took only 1,5 days after pressing the final payment button. Not sure what delivery times are between NL and UK these days...

As for the unit: it's frickin' awesome. I've had my fair share of rough Linux entries during the netbook era, but if you're used to the Steam interface this feels way more solid than I anticipated. Loading screens and setups can introduce some weird switches here and there, but even then, it's all good so far. Dead Cells and killer7 work and look terrific. My game tastes are a bit out there, so I won't be playing the latest blockbuster on this (that said, I'm downloading Dark Souls PTD Edition just to get some ER vibes on there). Feels good to finally be tapping into that games library proper.

A bit like how it was getting a PS Vita with a loaded PS+ library back then. :D

2 hours ago, Siri said:

You based in the UK, @Cyhwuhx?

I been sniffing around some steam deck order date calculators, and there's a chance my unit will land during the bank holiday weekend, so I'll probably end up getting it the following Tuesday :facepalm:

well, that's if the calculator isn't full of baloney and I'm getting it in June.

How do those order calculator thingymabobs work? 

If there's one in particular that's well regarded can you post a link? 

Yeah, that's the one I used. I used Method B to grab the reservetime string, and checked with u/hoxeel's data and both moo and gecked's method (abyzma's function literally pulls a random Monday from that quarter, which is nice as a coping mechanism but that's about it).

Using Moo's data says that my order's in with the last batch of Q1 orders the week before, which I can't see happening at all now that there's RMAs to process as well.

But again, this sort of thing shouldn't be taken as gospel because of RMA and production scaling. Probably just as much accuracy reading tea leaves!

Same stats as you, @jonamok - even down to being bumped to Q2 from Q1.

Edit for full disclosure: 256gb, UK queue, confirmation at 18:12:14.

hoxeel dataset: 11 April on both Moo and Gecked.

moo dataset: 28 Mar on Moo, 11 April on Gecked.

I would go over it with a fine tooth comb, mind, as I would imagine Valve were processing hundreds of orders within seconds of each other. I think it's safe to assume April overall, however. It's close!

I'm very excited for it now. ETA Prime has even been checking how to run Android games on the deck:

Genshin doesn't work and I haven't watched it without audio, but the description reads that Bluestacks and LDPlayer run fine, which are staples for horrific Arknights weebs like myself people who want to play COD Mobile for some reason.

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

I’m 512, ordered 18:15, bumped down from Q1 to Q2. I thought I read that all remaining Q1 emails are going out this week?

Next Monday is the last of Q1 orders.

I'm guessing there's some units for a lucky few Q2ers, but I guess it depends on how many repair requests and cancellations happen.

Either way, Soon™

It takes a couple of seconds to process when you're clicking between the datasets, and preloads a date. Give it a few seconds to figure itself out.

Unless you're selecting Abyzma, which you really shouldn't as that's just pulling a random date each time.

8 hours ago, Hitcher said:

Surely it's all BS at the end of the day?

Yes. Even the websites say as much - it's based on incomplete data, requires users responding to fully understand how many orders are processed in a week, and doesn't take into account stock used by the RMA process.

Still fun, though. Like shoehorning Wu Tang songs into posts for months in this thread.

4 minutes ago, jonamok said:

@Cyhwuhx Thanks for that. What’s your take on the fan noise in terms of pitch/whistle and volume, whether idling or in something demanding.

Oh yes, it’s there. It doesn’t sound too aggressive but it’s definitely not silent. It just might become a problem when playing in bed next to your spouse. Unless you have sound muted it’s not a huge problem as a player.